Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: LHBH
One more Charlotte course. The Scrapyard, AKA Idlewild has the opposite issue where the long positions (Black) have an SSE overstated by 2 strokes while the shorter positions (Red) and pretty darn close. Can you make a change for black tee to pull 2 strokes out?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 242
Throwing Style: RHBH
I can't adjust it on a per tee basis right now unfortunately.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 11
Whatever you guys did to the formulas for non-18-hole courses has corrected the problem that I was seeing. Thanks!!

My rating on harder courses was consitently around 870. The one short 9-holer that I play was coming in at 806 before the formula update. After the update, it is now showing 857.

I play 4 courses regularly, and they range quite a bit in difficulty and length. My round ratings for those 4 are now 857, 869, 876, and 866. That seems like a pretty tight statistical grouping.

Now I just need to find an adjustment in my game that will make me play at a 900+ level instead of muddling along at 865.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
FWIW, I just entered some rounds from a sanctioned event where the course was completely unchanged - 2012 DGLO:

Hudson Mills Monster (short), shot 75, PDGA rated 899... DGCR rated 904
Hudson Mills Original (short), shot 77, PDGA rated 850... DGCR rated 879

Obviously works better for some courses than others, but it seems pretty good for the most part.
Thought people might find this reality check interesting, if not useful.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
*hehe* I agree with Timg on this one.. we already *barely* have enough 'real' SSA data to calibrate the three SSE formulas against as it is. Having to further categorize each 'real' SSA by whether or not it was generated during fair weather or not just stretches what little data we have too far to be accurate.

Unless of course someone out there can provide me with a wealth of 'real' SSA's + course layout length data (for 18-hole as well as non-18-hole layouts), along with the associated 'foliage value' *and* weather conditions for each and every round of it. I'd *love* to collect this kind of data, but so far no one has been able to help at all.
Here is a little more based on Pro Worlds at Lemon Lake. It is "good" data in that sample size is huge (statistically valid) and it is based on quite a few rounds in very similar weather.

From this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
I think we need to hold our horses on this just a little.
On the bright side and agreeing with yoy:
On the other hand, Gold/Silver is set up in DGCR as Heavily Wooded and Blue is set up as Moderately......and I lowered them both a notch in the table above to make the SSE's closer.
White and Red are both set up in DGCR as Moderately Wooded and Hidden Lake is set up as Lightly wooded.......and those were indeed the best fit for SSE at Worlds (even though they played "Super Red", and "Super White")

Super Red
53.0 = SSE (Moderately Wooded - as set up in DGCR)
53.8 = SSA Average (0.8 higher than SSE)

Super White
60.2 = SSE (Moderately Wooded - as set up in DGCR)
60.3 = SSA Average (dead nuts on)

Hidden Lake
49.8 = SSE (Lightly Wooded - as set up in DGCR)
48.6 = SSA Average (1.2 lower than SSE)

On the other hand, Gold/Silver is set up in DGCR as Heavily Wooded and Blue is set up as Moderately......and I lowered them both a notch in the table above to make the SSE's closer.

Gold
69.9 = SSE Heavily (as is in DGCR currently)
62.8 = SSE Moderately (best fit)
56.4 = SSE Lightly
61.4 = SSA Average from Worlds (1.4 lower than SSE)

Blue
62.6 = SSE Heavily
56.9 = SSE Moderately (as is in DGCR currently)
51.6 = SSE Lightly (best fit)
53.0 = SSA Average from Worlds (1.4 higher than SSE)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
*whew* I was waiting for Timg to post this before talking about it. Yes, there is now a new internal-only field that actually controls which of the three 'foliage value' SSE formulas is being used for each course. So if anyone finds a course where the SSE formula, based on the 'correct' foliage value just isn't coming out right, it can now be internally corrected.
Awesome!! Thanks Guys! The Hippodrome-Old Glory course could use a tweak. It has 11 open holes 3 light/moderate wooded holes and 6 heavily wooded holes. Of the 14 non-heavily wooded holes, there are O.B. lined fairways on 7 of them, 2 more that are island greens, and 2 more that have O.B. that comes into play. Also, there are 10 difficult greens either with severe slope, raised basket, guarded green, or O.B. close by.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Looks like the perfect sort of course where SSE will be an epic fail. Do you have the typical SSA for the course?
Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrain View Post
Awesome!! Thanks Guys! The Hippodrome-Old Glory course could use a tweak. It has 11 open holes 3 light/moderate wooded holes and 6 heavily wooded holes. Of the 14 non-heavily wooded holes, there are O.B. lined fairways on 7 of them, 2 more that are island greens, and 2 more that have O.B. that comes into play. Also, there are 10 difficult greens either with severe slope, raised basket, guarded green, or O.B. close by.
Do you happen to have an SSA (a course layout length as well would be great) for a recent event on the course?

Edit: Dave242 beat me to it. :P
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Looks like the perfect sort of course where SSE will be an epic fail. Do you have the typical SSA for the course?
It's not an epic fail. They aren't WAY off. The only SSA we have is from the NCDGC, which was 54.7. Two holes have been changed since then. It seems like it should be just under 54.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:20 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 242
Which tees should be around 54? The black?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6041