Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 14
Putting is one of those things where it seems like everybody has a different style. I think people just experiment until they find what works for them and practice it a lot. Like you I do not have the longest arm and putting is by far the best part of my game.

I tried copying the styles of every player I knew that was good on the course and every video I found on youtube of good Pro Putters. Only one that worked for me was to Weight shift even on straddle putts. I use my front leg like a fulcrum point and my back leg like a spring. My upper body movement is very much like Cam Todd's though.

If what you are doing is working for you then just keep doing it.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
As others have said, you practicing the crap out of this method makes it more successful! My question, though, is whether your putting style is more of an all-arm throw or a wrist flick. I'm not a great putter, but I recently settled on my own style that isn't much like the videos I have seen. I, too, avoid a lot of weight shift and body movement. I putt with a small wrist flick in order to loft the disc out toward the basket. If you've ever played ultimate, my putting is essentially a floaty dump throw. Haven't gotten the accuracy totally down (miss high or low a lot, like you said you do!), but it's much more comfortable for me.

Just curious if you're using a lot of arm swing, or if you use a wrist flick type thing like I do!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Eagle Member

I haven't learned the trick for pitch putting, the disc doesn't really go very far and definitely not a straight line. I tend to do the 10 o'clock foot stance, disc around the belly, short push forward, extend the hand and let the disc kind of kick off my heel. Pretty basic approach really and usually works ok, but I'm comfortable blaming my bad discs on not getting to practice putting as much as I like (and not gelling w/my Judges heh)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 24
When you use a weight shift, it just requires more parts of your body to be in sync. When you aren't shifting, then it is mostly just the arm that has to be in rhythm, so it can be easier to control. When a weight shift is used and everything is in sync, than putting over longer distances is much easier and more accurate.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemic View Post
As others have said, you practicing the crap out of this method makes it more successful! My question, though, is whether your putting style is more of an all-arm throw or a wrist flick. I'm not a great putter, but I recently settled on my own style that isn't much like the videos I have seen. I, too, avoid a lot of weight shift and body movement. I putt with a small wrist flick in order to loft the disc out toward the basket. If you've ever played ultimate, my putting is essentially a floaty dump throw. Haven't gotten the accuracy totally down (miss high or low a lot, like you said you do!), but it's much more comfortable for me.

Just curious if you're using a lot of arm swing, or if you use a wrist flick type thing like I do!
I do know my wrist is what causes the putt to drop. It's like a Spin/Pitch putt. When my arm comes down my wrist is the only hinge,the Elbow has a slight bend in it,but there is no hinge/movement.

My buddy has the same putting style as you. He's been using the same beadless aviar for over 8 years too.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
I see a lot of guys who spin or modified spin putt use little in the way of weight transfer especially 20' or less where a lot of guys pick their back foot up completely. I've tried this but couldn't generate the power to get edge of the circle putts to the basket without putting a lot of arm into it, which makes me go all over the place.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 15
I would say my putt is a pitch putt, with a tad more spin than what I perceive as typical for a pitch. Unless inside 10' I will typically have a small amount of weight transfer. I do a slow rock back and forth a few times until I feel comfortable with the amount of weight transfer. When I go to putt I envision a very smooth pendulumic transfer and my back leg comes up off the ground to counterbalance the follow through with my arm after release. I treat it like a foul shot, and like a foul shot, everyone has their own motion they find repeatable, and that's the key, finding repeatability.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 10
I figured out weight shift lol

Oh man I now have two putting styles. lol

This new weight shift style is just as good as my no shift style. I worked with it a bit today at this pitch and putt course just fooling around and by george I found something that works.

Here's the Story.

The way I drive looks a lot like how Feldberg does it. I just have tons of momentum and I don't really have to throw it hard to get a good rip on my drives.

Well on hole 6 I thought to myself,what if I try using Feldberg type drive as a putting style. First time I tried it my body naturally shifted forward and when the disc came back to my stomach I naturally shifted back and then I shifted back forward for a very clean solid putt.

I did it the rest of the round and then I stayed a bit and practiced the crap out of it. I was way more accurate with this my standstill putt.

I'm hoping this isn't just a fluke and I found something that works better.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 AM

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 16
Putting Practice

I see a lot of threads about Putting styles(which are personal) and basically none about how people practice. I use a stack of 10 putters and sometimes 3 stacks of 10 at 25ft uphill, 30ft flat & 35ft downhill. It takes about 15-16 mins to make 100 putts.
In a set if I get in a groove I may make 3-7 in a row. That is why more putters is better, this reinforces muscle memory. If I miss a couple I have several to use to correct the problem. I focus on distances where I am 100% hitting metal cage and above(Dots if you've played Works) or making the putt(flushed it). I try to putt for 15-20 min three times a week.
I didn't mean to hijack this thread but figured since putting is the topic I might get some feedback

Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFirebird View Post
Just curious what causes this one style to be so much more accurate and controllable than the other style? When I'm in doubles or playing with friends I pay attention to how people putt and no one in the groups putt like I do.

Crazy question to ask I know.
the theory i'm working with involves reducing the moving parts. what you want is a consistent putting motion you can easily reproduce. is your more accurate putt more compact?