Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Proper Sidearm Technique?

It seems to me that there is basics knowledge available when it comes to technique/form of the backhand throw. In my perspective there isn't the same info available on sidearm like there is for backhand. I've read some older threads on the subject & watched a few videos (Deep in the game, Discraft pro clinic) on forehand but all the info seems not detailed enough or just different styles of throwing (Avery Jenkins forehand compared to Big Jerms). Is there even a "correct"/"proper" form to use when throwing sidearm? If there isn't a "right way" then what is the most effective grip & technique to throw forehand?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 9
If you want a good detailed tutorial that works well for people learning sidearm, check out disc golf monthly number 95 on Youtube. The sidearm clinic is ran by Sarah Hokom who plays sidearm dominant and really lays out the technique in full, she actually brings up the point about Avery's throw and how most would be better keeping it level and simplfying it, it also has backhand driving with Dave Feldberg/Garrett Gurthie and putting with Nikko Locastro, very great clinic would've liked to have been there in person.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by disctildeath View Post
If you want a good detailed tutorial that works well for people learning sidearm, check out disc golf monthly number 95 on Youtube. The sidearm clinic is ran by Sarah Hokom who plays sidearm dominant and really lays out the technique in full, she actually brings up the point about Avery's throw and how most would be better keeping it level and simplfying it, it also has backhand driving with Dave Feldberg/Garrett Gurthie and putting with Nikko Locastro, very great clinic would've liked to have been there in person.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've seen the video before (watched it like 10 times ) & I agree that keeping it level is better (thats what I do). I've tried doing Avery's technique but it doesn't work well for me. I just feel that none of the videos are detailed enough (even on Disc Golf Monthly).
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Eagle Member

Don't forget Mike C's video for forehand technique. All his videos are pretty good tho.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 12
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by disctildeath View Post
Great video! thanks for sharing.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 53
FH starts @ 2:10 ... How I learned to FH: smooth, not super overstable disc choice, incorporate the hips/x-step, palm to the sky

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 27
throw low, throw fast and throw hard
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
I think I'll switch to side arm for my drives at least - back hand seems to hurt my old back (teres major muscle I believe) and I can throw just as far with MUCH less effort side arm.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 25
The best tip i ever got was keeping your palm to the sky. even when throwing flex shots, it makes it so much more consistent.

I wouldn't recommend mirroring wysoki or wiggin's sidearms. I got a feeling that they will be injured in 5 years. Look at big jerms and ulibarri, they have smooth throws that I model after

Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 107
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Low production quality, but people seem to like it. :P