Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
disc golf AND frisbee dog???

anyone having any luck training their dog to catch frisbees but to leave disc golf discs alone? i have a cattle dog/border collie mix that i've taken disc golfing with me since he was 3 months old. he knows not to chase the discs and to not pick up discs he finds on the ground. i have also trained him fetch and he has great eye/mouth coordination, so i think he'd make a great frisbee dog but i'm afraid of it'll ruin him for disc golf.

anyone been through this and have any advice and/or training secrets? he is a smart dog.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 23
Played Frisbee with my dog his whole life (10 now) and he has never grasped the concept of golf discs being different than his frisbees.

Really wish he would though, as I have to leash him the whole time at the disc golf course. He bends golf discs into Tacos in one bite if he gets one. He destroyed my flip XL in one fetch.

He is a lab though and fetches anything thrown even small trees or bushes. It is funny but I am not kidding.

May be a breed thing? Instinct? He has been obsessed with fetching anything that flys, rolls, runs, since he was just a couple months old. That is not so common in Herding dogs though so you may be able to make it work for you.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
I played with someone whose dog would find discs in the underbrush, under leaves, wherever, without fetching them. If you're training a dog for disc golf, this is the skill you really want.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 122
Martin Dewgarita has his dog trained. That was the most awesome dog ever at the course.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Yes. My dog has had the same white Ultimate frisbee since she was a pup. She'll chase it for days. She knows to leave my blue putters (Judges and Anodes) alone.
At first she would try to grab my putters off the ground and I would just give a stern "NO!" and then give her the Ultimate lid. After a couple sessions of that she leaves my putters alone. The only problem is now that when I have putting practice I am also throwing the dog's frisbee to her every once in a while too. Not a big deal.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I played with someone whose dog would find discs in the underbrush, under leaves, wherever, without fetching them. If you're training a dog for disc golf, this is the skill you really want.
he knows "touch" and i was teaching him to touch my discs with his nose when we came up to them but i stopped because he was getting a little too rambunctious and disturbing the lie. might be time to start again now that he is 8 months old and better trained.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
I've seen dogs trained to fetch only after a command like "go get it". The dog i'm thinking of reformed this service on a disc floating in a lake as well, but only after he was told
Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
Martin Dewgarita has his dog trained. That was the most awesome dog ever at the course.
That's the one I was thinking of. Forrest?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
I expect that would take a lot of training, but it's totally possible.

Start as basic and easy as possible and advance slowly to give enough time and repetition for each small step to become easy for the dog. Use some kind of treat as a reward (food, usually). Use "no" as negative reinforcement without stressing the dog out and continue to positively reinforce checking out the frisbee. A good product to reinforce that the golf disc doesn't go in the dog's mouth is Bitter Apple spray. Maybe even put something tasty on the frisbee. At some point work on verbal commands. I wouldn't expect a dog to be able to be trained to know the difference between a thrown golf disc and a thrown frisbee without some kind of command. Then you can use those commands to help the dog know when you throw a disc vs when you throw a frisbee. Also, using sit-stay or down-stay while you throw golf discs really helps. Use a playful command for when you want him to fetch/catch frisbees so he knows the difference between situations.

Small, gradual steps will be important throughout the process.

You really gonna embark on this type of training? Let us know how it goes

Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
It is doable. There is a boarder collie I see at my home course all the time. During his person's round, he just walks along, sniffs bushes and tress, etc... At the practice area, his person throws a disc that he runs out and snatches out of the air.