Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
If you want to learn forehand drives then practice forehand drives. Grab ALL your drivers (including overstable and wide rimmed drivers) and head to a field. Try to throw each of them flat and straight. The key to a forehand is throwing flat and straight.

Depending on your form, release and natural power some kinds of drivers will work better than others, at least initially. The drivers which show the most promise should get the most attempts.

Most players of average or above average power will get the best early benefit from overstable drivers. Overstable discs will counteract OAT/flutter best. It takes many players (including me) a lot of practice to learn to minimize flutter by releasing the disc clean and smooth out of the hand.

The concept of building from slow discs to fast discs to learn good form is more applicable to backhand than forehand. For forehand, learn putters independently from mids. Learn mids independently from drivers.

You might notice that there are many players with one reliable forehand shot but not the whole arsenal. That one good shot is something they have memorized and have confidence in. That one good shot may be 50' straight with a putter. It might be 150' with a mid. It might be a 250' hyzer with a driver. But whatever it is, ask them to do a different forehand line and they flail wildly.
I find your last paragraph interesting and accurate...

I am a FH dominant player with a serviceable backhand to 300ft. Really the only two shots I can perform backhand with any consistency is a straight to fade shot and and wide open hyzers. I cannot shape lines BH, where as forehand I am able to throw the gamut.

to the OP: It makes sense then to tailor your FH as to how you plan on using it. My brother has a serviceable FH, he only throws a beat Firebird, it wobbles out of his hand, but it is consistent for him. He uses it to throw low tunnel shots that finish right, and he is even starting to throw some get out of trouble flex shots. If you don't plan on using it for anything besides these types of shots, your time may be better spent on practicing your backhand.

For the record, I learned to flick with overstable stuff and eventually toned it down, I am working most on flicking mids clean and this year I have been able to hit 320' with Buzzes.

I don't necessarily think you should learn from stage one with a flippy disc. A slightly overstable disc can teach you the basic form, then you can learn to shape lines with the flippy stuff.

Last edited by Jax11; 07-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
I throw a lot of FH's, up to about 330'. The guy I play with a lot throws them only when absolutely has to, and gets a lot flutter (mostly from overpowering the shot).

My advice to him, more often than not, is to let the disc do the work. Stay low, elbow in, palm up, follow through (as has been said already).

I throw a lot of Firebird for longer upshots, and float between an Orc and Teerex for drives. Also, for some reason, Star plastic (or equivalent) seems to be more controllable for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 35
Look for a Disc Golf Monthly video of a clinic with Sarah Hokum. She is a world champ and a FH dominant player. Her explanation of FH technique really helped me add it to my arsenal.

I think it was DGM #95.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Bogey Member

When you really bear down and use your core by staying low, finishing straight, and following through at waist/stomach level instead of chest/shoulder level that's when you're going to get your best FH shots and really start to feel the form. Along with what's already been said here, my advice is stay low, use your core, and don't don't don't sky it.

Starting with putters and flippy mids is good, because it'll teach you that you don't actually need nearly as much power as most people try to throw FH with. Still, I wouldn't really stick to only the US stuff. I'm not saying go out and buy a firebird, nor that you shouldn't also throw your comet, but throwing something like a roc/mace or buzz/warship with some stablity to it to me was equally helpful.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddleman View Post
Starting with putters and flippy mids is good, because it'll teach you that you don't actually need nearly as much power as most people try to throw FH with. Still, I wouldn't really stick to only the US stuff. I'm not saying go out and buy a firebird, nor that you shouldn't also throw your comet, but throwing something like a roc/mace or buzz/warship with some stablity to it to me was equally helpful.
Use the same variety of discs you would use for backhand. They all do different things and you just have to learn what discs are appropriate for the situation.

To start from scratch, I second all the others who mentioned playing catch because that is the best way to get in a LOT of practice in a short time. Use a regular frisbee or ultimate disc and learn how to shape nice smooth hyzer, flat and anhyzer shots with that. Stand with a tree in between you and work around it with both hyzers and anhyzers. When your partner gets pissed at you for having to chase down your errant throws, that will apply some extra motivation. To maximize compliance from a practice partner, provide beer. Also add a couple LEDs to the frisbee and practice after dark.

Once you get the form worked out, then apply that with ALL of your golf discs, across all stability types.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 13
A quick check in (I haven't got in very much discing at all this week though):

Man this is tough. I can put my VPs, Summits, and Comets on a laser out to 100-150' and accurately, but when I try to throw any farther my form goes crazy. I either crank everything over or fluff out a weak nose up hyzer. I can tell I am having release angle issues, using too much arm speed/not enough snap a lot of the time, and definitely not getting low enough.
(EDIT: And I've been trying driving with all of my discs, not just those 3)

I should be able to finally put in some quality time on Monday and I'll try to take some video so I can get some help from you all, as you all have provided excellent advice.

So at least I've got the approach game! But driving is frustrating to the point that I sometimes just want to get a Spirit or Max or any other meat hook and torque monkey them FH so I have something that will dump hard right!

Just gotta keep on working on it though!

Last edited by Brodysseus; 07-06-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Lol. I always say its time to man up and throw backhand!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnAA199 View Post
Lol. I always say its time to man up and throw backhand!
What about Wysocki?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Freak of nature!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHFH
evolve :)

When I started playing a little over two years ago at the shortest course in Raleigh (kentwood) I noticed a few guys flinging from the hip.. I liked the ease and accuracy at which they did so, naturally I started trying to flick. Being a beginner and purchasing the 3 disc set with a DX leopard being the most stable, I began my new career as a FH golfer. After hundreds of rounds playing cut-rollers from rolling my wrist I slowly began to realize that I was doing something wrong. Now after two years of practicing my 'run-up' in between tasks around the house and at work I have since been able to develop a sidearm that maxes out around 400.' It took a lot of refinement and trying out new discs until that one fit and snapped out of my hand just right. I know it sounds crazy but I flick sidewinder's, dead straight to anny and they go BOOM.. for more right turning shots I pull a Wraith thanks to Paul Ulibarri on Youtube and as far as consistency goes they cant be beat. Soo many people initially try and flick super stable discs like Flicks, Nukes, Firebirds, etc but what they dont realize is the power/smoothness ratio.. Once you are able to find this happy medium on your release (i.e. I let go of my sidearms on a gentle hyzer and play a hyzerflip) then you can select the right disc to go along with the motion. Letting go on anny is a good way to get the most distance but with the FH motion there is a VERY fine line between letting go on anny and rolling your wrist which will turn into a cut-roller.. One easy tip I tell newcomers trying to flick is always keep your palm to the sky and your elbow close to your side. Once they get these basics down we go into the run-up and or follow thru to help with distance.. And if yall think im bull****ting about flicking sidewinders come on up to Simple Pleasures and find out for your self