Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Your bag, four categories, break it down

My question is not for someone that carries 40 disc's as that could get tedious but fore people with 12-20 discs.

You have Putters, Mid Range, Fairway and Distance drivers. Four basic categories.

How do you break down each category in your bag and why.

I'm just trying to soak up knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Not sure if I'm slow or just don't understand what you mean by breaking down the 4 categories? Do you want to know what discs we carry and what there uses are or how we go about deciding what disc to purchase when at the store to try and fill a slot. Once again sorry if I'm over thinking this or just having a brain fart?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

For a simplistic bag, those four categories are broken up into 3 sub categories. Under stable, stable and overstable. I carry over 20 discs but only cause my bag doesn't have a divider (yet) and i like to have back ups just in case but this is how i typically break it down. Putters are the exception. I have 3 putters, 2 that are my main putters that i putt and approach with and my drivin putter. My mids are still kind of experimental but i am getting close to finalizing them. I am carrying two truths for my stable slot, a comet for my under stable and a suspect and verdict for my overstable. Fairways are all MVP. The amp the volt the shock. I carry two of each and am eager to see how the proton volt will mesh in my bag. I have a fifth categorie myself that i like to call utility discs, these discs i only use for special situations. They are the flick and XXX. My distance drivers right now only compose of an innova xcal over but i hope the upcoming salient Prometheus will be joining it. The xcal is overstable while the Prometheus will be stable and of course back ups for each. This is my personal bag and i usually am carrying at least 23 discs but with the upcoming physical flight new bag releases i hope to narrow this down a but and save some of my discs. Hope this helped
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
It's much easier to keep things simple Grinder. Don't try and overcomplicate disc golf. Just throw some Frisbees man.

But, to answer your question, I think most players break it down like this:

3 Distance, overstable, understable, straight
3 Fairways, same thing
3 Mids, same thing
2 putters, maybe a putting putter, and a driving putter.

Then you have your utility discs for those rare shots, like a super overstable disc, or a beat to crap disc for easy rollers, or stuff like that.

I only carry 8-10 discs max. The less the better, in my book.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
I'm a big fan of a minimalist bag. I break down my disc categories by OS/S/US. And I carry 2 putters on top of my throwers, a max weight for inside the ring, and a lighter, more US one for outside the circle and jump putts. KISS, I think this bag setup lets you become very confident with every disc in your bag. I've essentially had the same discs in the bag for at least a year...
Old 07-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
you mean by breaking down the 4 categories? Do you want to know what discs we carry and what there uses are or how we go about deciding what disc to purchase when at the store to try and fill a slot.
Perfect - not slow at all LOL

I'm not trying to make MY bag, just seeing what others do. I have no need for over stable anything yet so I don't even consider those!

Quote:
a max weight for inside the ring, and a lighter, more US one for outside the circle
Stuff like that is great knowledge and what I'm looking for!

Last edited by Grinder12000; 07-14-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Par Member

3 distance: us,stable to us, super os
3 fairway: us,stable,os
4-5 mids: us,straight,stableish, os (maybe super os)
3 putters: 2x main putters, driving putter.

Ohh i wish it would be this simple
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
I organize my bag from fastest to slowest and most OS to most understable. I don't necessarily make a list of slots. That way if I want to carry two understable fairways that day I do because I have my reasons.

Typically I keep these though

One OS utility disc that falls somewhere between my mids and drivers. Usually an opto trident or GL XXX
Five or so mids, One for turnovers, one for straight upshots, one for long straight shots, one for short overstable shots and one for long overstable shots.
Fairways can really vary but I usually have one for tailwinds and turnovers and then a few more going up in stability from there until I get to my most OS fairway.
I divide my fairways really into two sections, one is what I consider my fairway drivers the other are what I call my control drivers and the ones I typically throw off the tee unless it's wide open and I decide to go with a distance driver. I usually have two or three of these control drivers, three right now with a Saint, Stag, and Striker.

Last section is my distance drivers and those are really any speed 11 12, or 13. I have one for more controlled turnovers(renegade), a bomber for open fairways that will get the full flight and distance(gl Bolt) and then a few trespasses for windier throws and when I need more stability. Also a Giant that kind of doubles as my headwind OS driver and fast utility disc. I don't need to remember colors or anything like that. I figure out what kind of shot I want to throw and can immediately reach for the section where that disc will be.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm trying to minimize the number of discs that I carry. I used to pack an Innova competition bag with 20+ discs, but noticed that I wasn't using all of them... So I bought a Fade Lite (same capacity as a Crunch Box, but only $15) and that's become my main bag. I carry the Innova one to tournaments or when I travel so I can carry backups and extra putters. But I digress. Right now I carry 10 discs:

2 putters (straight and overstable). I used to carry a third for driving, but I haven't been driving them lately.
3 mids (overstable, straight, understable).
1 utility (the Trident) for thumbers and short flick shots.
4 fairways (straight, understable, overstable, straight with a bit more fade).

I could honestly cut the fairways down to just stable and understable (Gazelle and Leopard), and am leaning toward doing so. You can cycle discs and minimize your molds too. I could use a Gazelle for every shot off of the tee. Beat DX for understable, Star for stable, Champ for overstable(ish). Anyone will tell you that you can cycle Rocs too. I just never quite got the feel for the Roc. Maybe I should pick up a few DX ones and beat the hell out of them. It would be awesome to carry just three molds and maybe a utility.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: LHBH
Putters-5
1 mold-Wizard
A putting only putter, and a driving/approach putter. The other three are for back ups/practice. variety of plastics.

Mid-Ranges-6
Beefy Overstable/Utility Midrange-Z Drone
Workhorse Stable/Slightly Overstable Midrange-Flat-Top DX Rocs x3
Understable Midrange-Fuses x2. One GL, one Opto

Fairway Drivers-5
Beefy Overstable/Utility Fairway Driver-Champion Firebird
Workhorse Stable/Slightly Overstable Fairway Driver- S-PDs x2
Understable Fairway Driver-River x2. One Gl, one Opto

Distance Drivers-2
Stable/Slightly Overstable Distance Driver-Fusion Trespass
Understable Distance Driver-Opto Bolt