Disc Golf Store
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
what classifies as a distance driver for you?
realistically a leopard or the like is a distance driver.
While I disagree that a Leopard is a "distance" driver, I agree without an established definition the discussions will be all over the place.

For me, I define a distance driver based on the speed listed on the Marshall Street flight guide. Anything speed 10+ is a distance driver.

I'd lose my Mamba, but since it is my short game that really stinks it probably wouldn't hurt me too much.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
While I disagree that a Leopard is a "distance" driver, I agree without an established definition the discussions will be all over the place.

For me, I define a distance driver based on the speed listed on the Marshall Street flight guide. Anything speed 10+ is a distance driver.

I'd lose my Mamba, but since it is my short game that really stinks it probably wouldn't hurt me too much.
I'd hate the thought of losing my Mamba too but I guess the Archangel would find its way back into my bag.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
i would be crippled with no drivers. i really should be throwing my mids more.

generally i throw a driver then approach and putt with a putter.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
my scores wouldn't suffer too much but my enjoyment would suffer a little. throwing and watching a massive 's' with a distance driver is a lot of fun and i would miss throwing big sweeping anhyzers with the flippy long stuff.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 10
Shoot I would be fine.

I learned on Fairways back in the day and I could do just fine if they did away with Distance drivers.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Par Member

Shouldnt speed 9 and around be out too? Seems like everyone is keeping that in their game when fairways are what like 7s? My longest driving discs are the dragon and Valkerie and they are both speed 9.

Just googled max speed for fairway drivers and a thread from here popped up. Seems like most people chose the 7-8 category.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=57870

Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 15
I recently banished any disc with a speed of 10 or higher from my bag, and I have been loving it. I have also been gaining some good practice and distance by throwing my fairway drivers for distance. This week I got my volt out to 400' or so and it felt good, now I just need to figure out how to do that consistently...
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post

For me, I define a distance driver based on the speed listed on the Marshall Street flight guide. Anything speed 10+ is a distance driver. .
so you don't consider a Teebird, Valkyrie, XS, or XL a distance driver? All 4 at one point held the distance record. I believe all 4 were thrown over 800'.

also, its not like since speed 10+ has come out that anything greater has been accomplished. All it did was make it easier to achieve the distances people were already capable of hitting. they didn't change the game besides equal the playing field a little between skill levels.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon102 View Post
Shouldnt speed 9 and around be out too? Seems like everyone is keeping that in their game when fairways are what like 7s? My longest driving discs are the dragon and Valkerie and they are both speed 9.

Just googled max speed for fairway drivers and a thread from here popped up. Seems like most people chose the 7-8 category.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=57870

7-9 you mean.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Probably not too much but I consider distance drivers speed 11 and up maybe you mean anything above 7? I'd suffer some then I do well with 10 or even 9 and below. I really only use anything above 10 for the lines, fade, and skip I can see over them.