Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I throw 9 speed (or, more accurately, 1.9cm rim) for max D. I could live with 1.7cm (teebird). Unless the holes are really open I can keep up with players of similar rating, throwing Teebirds as far as their Destroyers, Nukes, et al.

I can get a bit of extra D with 9 speed, the unmarked +mold Sidewinders are pretty stable and go far on tight lines.

Anything with a bigger rim than 1.9cm is hard for me to hold on to. It always feels like they 'slip' out of my hand rather than 'pop' out and I don't transfer the power well enough to get em up to speed. I use a Climo stacked/fork grip. I basically get the same distance with them.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
so you don't consider a Teebird, Valkyrie, XS, or XL a distance driver? All 4 at one point held the distance record. I believe all 4 were thrown over 800'.

also, its not like since speed 10+ has come out that anything greater has been accomplished. All it did was make it easier to achieve the distances people were already capable of hitting. they didn't change the game besides equal the playing field a little between skill levels.
I can see the point in considering speed 9 as a distance driver. However, those throwing a Valkyrie 800+ feet are doing so based on skill, not the disc. Removing higher speed drivers from the game would refocus the game on skill.

If 9+ discs were removed from play, I think McBeast, Shoestrings, Feldbeard, et al would still be dominating. I think it would affect the bubble players--those who are less skilled then the top players but right now are sticking with them due to the advantage of high speed drivers.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
I can see the point in considering speed 9 as a distance driver. However, those throwing a Valkyrie 800+ feet are doing so based on skill, not the disc.
and there in lies the conundrum, if people used the slower disc to try and get that distance their skill would improve.

it is the disc, in the case of the Valkyrie anyway. there are a handful of discs out there that have blended speed and glide perfectly. those discs are the "greats" that we all love and gush over year after year. now dont get me wrong to reach that 800' mark is definitely all skill, but thats not what I am really trying to get at, what i am saying is that the slower speed distance drivers are fully capable of reaching the same distance, or greater, as a speed 13 disc in any ones hands.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'd be fine with just Firebirds / Rivers / Sidewinders. I'm rarely pulling anything faster than that out of the bag now days.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by papamullins View Post
I'd be fine with just Firebirds / Rivers / Sidewinders. I'm rarely pulling anything faster than that out of the bag now days.
fyi according to the manufacturer the firebird/sidewinder is a distance driver
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
No distance drivers would not hurt me a bit;
Eagle for life!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 AM

Courses Played: 7
It would have made my life a whole lot easier since I just started about a month ago. Fell into the noob trap of buying higher speeds thinking that equates to longer drives. Thanks to this forum I quickly learned to learn the fundamentals on lower speeds. Been having much more success now that I drive with my Leopard. Once I get that consistently I'll start working to get my TeeBird consistent too. It'll be a long time until I ever touch anything above 9 again, other than the occasional kicks and giggles toss.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 AM

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 22
my game wouldnt suffer, considering i throw putters and mids 80% of the time and have my fairway drivers for the other 19.99% and then for the .01% i pull out my trespasses for huge 550ft+ bombs but i can get my esacape probably almost as far
Old 07-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 87
The speed rating on a disc does not make it fly farther, but if you can throw far you need a high speed disc. There is a reason the pros throw distance drivers. But that's not the question...

Yes, I would suffer without a driver. Mid's are good for control, but a driver flys farther. A lot farther.

They aren't just called distance drivers.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
While I disagree that a Leopard is a "distance" driver, I agree without an established definition the discussions will be all over the place.

Once upon a time - INNOVA considered both the Leopard and the TeeBird as Ultra Long Range Drivers. Here is an INNOVA Disc Selection Chart from 2000.

http://web.archive.org/web/200107010...lect_chart.pdf

For those that like to debate the meaning and/or usage of the terms Understable, Stable and Overstable, this was at the bottom of the chart.

Quote:
Stability is a description of the discís flight path. Understable means a flight that turns right, Stable is a flight that doesnít turn, Overstable refers to a flight that turns to the left.