Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
How long have you been Am3?

I have been discin' for over 6 years now. My PDGA rating jumped to about 910 a few years ago, but then quickly dropped back down. I am now at 895, and was hoping that a tournament at my old home course would pick me back up. I had a round that was in the 700s. As much as I feel like I am improving I seem to not go anywhere. Has anyone else hit this same wall...?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 101
To me ratings do not do much to show weather a player is "improving" or not being there are many other factors which are a part of improving and cannot really be rated.

I would ask where in your game are you lacking the most and what can you do to improve? Setting attainable goals and taking the small steps in answering how, why and what you are going to do to get there-- this same process works with anything in life you are trying to improve on or get further with. Often when we make goals we set ones which are not realistic thus letting us down and ending up in failure because we set it up that way from the start.

Where has your game improved over the past few years the most? Also this is all subjective as you could be an old guy who started out throwing 30' max D with a putter and now able to hit 300 with control and make 5/10 putts, that's a huge improvement and not everyone can become the next Ken Climo-- we all have our physical limits which only training and practice hone in so much as the human body has limits and we all are different.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 35
My rating is still in the low 800s after over a year of PDGA play, but I get better round ratings with each tournament that I play. It's just a slower process for me than it is for some others. But that's why (I assume) they call it the Recreational Division..I just don't have the free time to go out and put in enough work to move up to Advanced. But I'm pretty sure I can be doing damage in Intermediate by the end of the year.

I won't repeat any of what Aim For The Chains posted....just know that he's 100 percent right.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 135
I never really get any better. The best I ever played was back in the 90's when I was younger, not married and had time to play all the time. Sometimes I can fool myself into thinking I'm better now because my longest disc then was a Cyclone, but the reality is I don't throw Cyclones as well now as I did then.

Even at that, I was pretty horrible. There were no ratings back then, but there was no way my rating would have been over 900. That's pretty realistic considering that I've always been a terrible athlete. My ineptitude at disc golf is pretty much in line with how awful I am at tennis, ball golf, softball and a host of other activities that require eye/hand coordination. It actually would be really odd for me to be any good at disc golf considering how bad I am at everything else.

I still play because it is fun; I enjoy the activity. If I was playing disc golf on an agenda of getting better and competing, I would have quit 14-15 years ago.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I still play because it is fun; I enjoy the activity. If I was playing disc golf on an agenda of getting better and competing, I would have quit 14-15 years ago.
Same here! While I don't share you athletic woes (I'm an accomplished powerlifter and did well in high school football, wrestling, tennis, baseball and track...I also played semi-pro football) I think I was a much better golfer when I was in high school (circa 1998-2002) when I DIDN'T take it so seriously.

i love tournaments, and i love competing, but if it wasn't fun anymore, I wouldn't be doing it...there's a reason powerlifting and disc golf are the only things I compete in these days.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 312
I don't think my rating ever saw the 860 mark at its zenith. I can throw a 900+ round, but it takes a really sunny day for that to happen.

Still I play MA2 when I enter tournaments because amongst the local competition, that's where I'm competitive.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
I've thrown rounds over 900, but I don't really play tourneys (although I plan to play at least one later this year). My average hovers in the 850's.

I'll probably always be Rec. Unless I can figure out how to drive 300 consistently. It's the biggest hurdle, and if I can get there, I have no doubt I'd be able to compete in MA1.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
While I don't share you athletic woes (I'm an accomplished powerlifter and did well in high school football...
Hey, I said eye/hand coordination. I played college football. I can't hit a tennis ball with a racket, but if you were in front of me I could hit you!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 232
I have been disc golfing for 16 years and I have never had a rating over 900. Now that I am over 50, it seems unlikely I will reach 900. I am a 950 rated driver, but an 825 putter, which averages out to around 875.

http://www.pdga.com/player_ratings_history/25417/2013

When I am not competing in Pro Women's divisions, I play Am3.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 28
Haven't started to compete yet, but after getting an idea of what my rounds might be rated through the DGCR scorebook I am thinking that I may start in intermediate or go straight to advanced. Kind of debating whether or not I'd want to wait until next year to buy a PDGA membership seeing as its already August. Probably a better idea to just do an unsanctioned event or two for fun and save the sanctioned stuff for next year so I can get the most out of the membership.