Tell him not to throw his discs in the water anymore
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
If I throw my disc in the water & then I leave, more power to the guy who goes into the water & gets it out. He can keep it! He did the work to go get it out of the water when I did not! If I leave I consider that a release of my ownership of said disc! JMHO!
If I want 'my' disc back then I should be a lot more friendly with the disc retriever. Perhaps offer them a cold beer or other reward ()for getting my disc back to me!
THIS is the correct response. If you throw a disc in and walk away from it, whoever retrieves the disc is now the owner. I'm a huge proponent of calling numbers on discs and returning them to the owners, and I also will typically let people that call me keep the discs as a reward of sorts for doing the right thing.

But if you turn your back and walk away from a disc in a water hazard, you've made the decision that the disc is lost. Whoever fishes it out owns it now, because they went to the effort of actually removing it from its watery grave.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedly View Post
If you throw a disc in and walk away from it, whoever retrieves the disc is now the owner.........

But if you turn your back and walk away from a disc in a water hazard, you've made the decision that the disc is lost.
What if you ran to your car to fetch your golden retriever?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampora View Post
What if you ran to your car to fetch your golden retriever?
.....or your bathing suit?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Man, it doesn't take long for a thread to get to Finders Keepers nowadays.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 54
Well I personally know the Sauls and they return discs! Thanks for my sweet ESP Force, David!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
In this situation, I've learned to, at the very beginning, just say "IDK, maybe I picked it up by mistake?" And then I take out all my discs of the offending color and let them see me look through them while "inadvertently" showing them all the discs.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 60
My friend was on the other side of this situation. He knew someone else had taken his disc (he left it on a teepad), so when he confronted the golfer, who denied taking his disc, my friend asked to check his bag. My friend pulled his disc out of the guy's bag, and the thief said, "I though you said a purple Kite, not a yellow one!"

Try to think of the situation from their point of view. He was pretty sure you had his disc (sounds like he had good reason for suspicion, too), and he was probably very frustrated to find that you didn't.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 25
I had a kid try to steal one of my discs while I was helping my friend find his disc 50' away. My disc was in the circle, in plain view, as were we, and my bag was siting in the fairway. This was a short hole, only about 200', and they had played up on us. Pretty obvious who had taken it. When confronted he said that he found it in the woods, close to where he had thrown. I've been playing for a while, and this is the first, and only time, I've had a disc almost stolen off the course. I don't think its quite time to start packing a handgun in my bag.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
I had a kid try to steal one of my discs while I was helping my friend find his disc 50' away. My disc was in the circle, in plain view, as were we, and my bag was siting in the fairway. This was a short hole, only about 200', and they had played up on us. Pretty obvious who had taken it. When confronted he said that he found it in the woods, close to where he had thrown. I've been playing for a while, and this is the first, and only time, I've had a disc almost stolen off the course. I don't think its quite time to start packing a handgun in my bag.
Handguns are heavy. Neck knives are not.

A very similar situation like yours happened to a friend of mine.