Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 65
Why don't Tournament Directors get paid?

What will it take for Disc Golf to change our own culture to be gracious enough to expect our TDs to get paid? It seems like we all have or have had this "I want a great tournament, with player pack, and a good payout, and I want you to do all the work for free."

Please use this thread to discuss how we can pay these people who work so hard so we can have fun on the weekend. Try not to let us divulge in rehashing how tournaments currently run. There are plenty of threads about that.

Make this thread about innovation and change.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not a bad idea
Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 PM

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 72
Maybe even set some sort of limits on it or something and tie it to payout to encourage securing a high payout.

Definitely should be something that is considered though.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
this has been a discussion in the pDGA for a few years. there is alot of support for it, but the BoD has dragged their feet on making it happen. Guys like Terry Miller (The Disc Golf Guy) have managed to make it happen, not sure how.
I personally think that they should get some percentage of ALL participants fees (not just from the ams CB). Those arguing against it are just greedy bleeps
Old 07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
screw the players pack
Old 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
screw the players pack
as long as we can still purchase tournament stamped discs i am 100% fine with that. the only reason I like players packs is because i like tourny stamped discs and when they aren't included i usually pay out of pocket for one.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 59
I also hope that clubs who run tournaments can make a profit so they can raise money for more courses and tournaments.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
At this point in dg's life, it will still take a lot of love to grow the sport. How much do you want to pay them? I'm guessing if we payed what they should make, we'd be paying them (a lot) more than the added cash at most tourneys. I'm guessing somewhere in the $1-2000 range for a 1-course tournament.

And what about the guys that keep the courses maintained? They need to be paid. They get a lot less love than TDs, but do more work still. And you can't just pay them once and expect to have a properly maintained course.

And what about pro payout? My last discgolfer magazine seemed to suggest that anything below $40,000 added cash (pro payout) is a meaningless tournament that is detrimental to the sport.

So why are we trying to make more people TD events? It seems to me that there is an excess of events and still not enough money. Paying TDs is just about the last thing the sport needs (at the moment). If we don't have enough love of the sport to have a TD for good events, the sport is doomed anyway.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
this has been a discussion in the pDGA for a few years. there is alot of support for it, but the BoD has dragged their feet on making it happen. Guys like Terry Miller (The Disc Golf Guy) have managed to make it happen, not sure how.
I personally think that they should get some percentage of ALL participants fees (not just from the ams CB). Those arguing against it are just greedy bleeps
Terry Miller catches Hell for doing it. I've heard a guy who held a high-up PDGA position call Terry Miller a thief. He sticks to his guns, runs good events and people keep coming. The fact that he keeps some of the money to offset his expenses doesn't seem to bother the people who show up. It really bothers a lot of the people who don't.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
It will be a huge culture change to allow this to happen. If paying the TD in a way that is something other than a token gesture of goodwill, it would be extremely expensive (in relative terms).

What is a TD times worth? Certainly more than minimum wage. Lets just say $20 per hour. For an event with 72 competitors on 1 course, it is probably at least 40 hours of work dedicated to that tournament if he does things properly......$800. That's $11 extra for each player. If there are only 40 players, that is $20 each. IMO, $20/hr is pretty measly....you should really probably double it since it is "overtime" hours the TD is working anyways.

Is $20-30 extra per player what you had in mind? Would players chose these events over others nearby (or maybe none at all) rather than pay that extra fee?