Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
PDga rules state that tournament directors may keep a small amount of the entry fees to help cover expenses. Though it is rarely done and when it is, the players get mad.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 225
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've never spent a dime of my own money running a tournament and I've never made a dime. I have compensated myself with a few pieces of plastic or a shirt for all the time I put into a tournament, but that's it.

I started running tournaments as a way to help out the local scene, but I have to say the work that goes into running tournaments is getting old. I am blessed that there are very few, if any, complainers I have to deal with. Some of my predecessors have not been as lucky. I doubt I would have lasted this long running tournaments if I has the same people to deal with as they did.

Considering the amount of money the PDGA gets from the events TDs run, it would be a nice gesture of them to give a free PDGA membership to TDs who make them x amount of money, run more than one event, or something like that.

Chris is absolutely right, when TDs start taking money people tend to get mad, so maybe it's time for the PDGA to find another way to compensate TDs.

On the other hand the number of PDGA events keeps getting bigger and bigger, so there doesn't seem to be any shortage of TD.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
bottom-up i think is a slower path then supporting the EDGE type programs. the more youth we can get playing the more reason advertisers will be drawn. the bottom-up (am-up) approach is what we have been doing for years. if you are looking at creating a solid base for the sport to be something in a decade+, then programs like EDGE need alot! more funding and pros participating.
I'm referring more to youth leagues and such. No matter what road you take, it's a tough hill to climb.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and it doesn't succeed (on a huge level) in the US. Hockey's popularity has taken a large turn for the worse in the last 30 years. Even billiards, which was on TV a LOT as recently as ten years ago, has tumbled in TV popularity. With so much saturation in the sporting market (especially among the "big three" sports), I'd have serious concerns that DG could ever get a large enough foothold with sponsors to be considered more than a niche sport. Relegated to "The Ocho". I can't recall EVER seeing anything on TV about DG.

Then again, if you could get some really marketable, dominant personalities out there (think Tiger Woods), you may be able to get something going faster. Olympic sport status would be a great start. Basically any way to get DG on TV.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
Exactly. Nobody cared about swimming until Phelps came around.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Exactly. Nobody cared about swimming until Phelps came around.
I get where you're going with that, but swimming is one of those sports that has always garnered attention every four years with the Olympics...and more so if there's a swimmer or two that can garner attention. Maybe you're too young (hell, I'm too young) to remember Mark Spitz. He was Phelps before Phelps was Phelps.

I think the ideal example of a breakthrough athlete that took his sport from obscurity (at least from a competitive standpoint) to unprecedented heights and popularity is Tony Hawk. When we find the disc golfer that becomes a household name like Tony Hawk, we'll know we've "arrived".
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Then again, if you could get some really marketable, dominant personalities out there (think Tiger Woods), you may be able to get something going faster. Olympic sport status would be a great start. Basically any way to get DG on TV.
Olympics already said NO cause putting is too easy in DG (I am sure if you scour this forum you will find the discussion about that...its like from 2+ yrs ago fyi). Hence the need for equipment standards change (mentioned earlier). Targets as they are now are designed for Super-class discs, they need to be redesigned for current popular molds.
This fixes more than just making putting more challenging, it also makes the way the pDGA factors Par more legit. There is NO reason that after a 3 round tournament a Pro should have a negative 30 something score, if that happened in Ball golf it would be all that is talked about for a week. i have shown numerous people, who don't play, tournament scores and they scoff at the overall score and think the sport is more of a joke then what they did beforehand.
You guys are going to have to face a simple fact, as it is this sport does not have TV appeal. And although the pDGA has been told what to do to change that, they have made no moves to make it happen. Instead they go after getting on a fringe network that 90% or more of America will never see (i think i am being VERY friendly with the 90%).
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Birdie Member

But if there was a tv contract in place, then tournament directors could get paid, right?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
Olympics already said NO cause putting is too easy in DG
The Olympics have never given any kind of response to DG (certainly not detailed enough to address our targets) because they've never formally been asked. But on that subject, disc golf is a long way away because the first thing needed is for the IOC to recognize the governing body of the sport. They've recognized WFDF, but is that enough to get disc golf in the door? I don't believe it is. Until the PDGA falls in line with WFDF in terms of implementing an anti-doping policy, particularly one that is in line with WADA standards, the IOC is not going to give disc golf the time of day. And that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of getting disc golf into the Olympics. Our equipment and our scoring is the least of their concerns.

Since this isn't really the thread for this discussion, I'll just stop there.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The Olympics have never given any kind of response to DG (certainly not detailed enough to address our targets) because they've never formally been asked. But on that subject, disc golf is a long way away because the first thing needed is for the IOC to recognize the governing body of the sport. They've recognized WFDF, but is that enough to get disc golf in the door? I don't believe it is. Until the PDGA falls in line with WFDF in terms of implementing an anti-doping policy, particularly one that is in line with WADA standards, the IOC is not going to give disc golf the time of day. And that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of getting disc golf into the Olympics. Our equipment and our scoring is the least of their concerns.

Since this isn't really the thread for this discussion, I'll just stop there.
last time there was an olympics in Canada, they had a course set-up in/by Olympic Village. After the powers that be played it they were asked their thoughts. The ease of putting was a major topic.
But you a certainly correct about the doping policies amongst other things that come before equipment. however, equipment is not to be taken lightly whatsoever. and i hope that any doping policy implemented never trickles down to the AMs.

but yes, this has been beaten to death in many threads on here.

/end thread jack

Old 07-16-2013, 06:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 740
Except for majors bolf scores can be quite low. The reason bolf scores are so close to par in majors is based on the rough and crazy greens. Stan designs some greens that are like that; and has received some heated pro response. There is often some heated response from bolf pros regarding some of the green set ups at majors as well. This year's bolf U.S. open did not feature many longer made putts; but, was rather a survival style lay out; where almost every green had a scary four foot putt... We could put that in place for disc golf majors; but there would be a lot of clamoring about severe role away greens and elevated baskets and pins within feet of water. Artificial o.b. and/or very tight wooded fairways also receive general negative feedback; but, would simulate the rough situation at bolf majors.