Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
The thing about DGCR ratings (I don't have one, I defer to my PDGA rating if asked) would be that it doesn't matter. It only matters what you do in tournaments. Comparing casual round ratings for anything more than entertainment purposes is pointless.
Lol, yea you are the kind of person who would think the only thing that matters is what you do in a PDGA sanctioned tournament.

What about people who don't give a **** about the PDGA and tournaments? What about the people who only play casual rounds?

Who died and made the PDGA the king of all things competitive disc golf? Do you realize how many unsanctioned leagues and tournaments are going on? Do you realize that there are more local competitions happening on a weekly basis than anything sanctioned by the PDGA?

Are you saying those groups and people shouldn't have a system at their disposal to use in the same manner that the PDGA uses player ratings?

Yea you are saying those things and that's why I rarely agree with anything you say.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Comparing casual round ratings for anything more than entertainment purposes is pointless.
ummmmm - that is the whole point for DGCR Player Ratings isn't it? They are not used for anything are they?

Quote:
It only matters what you do in tournaments.
Glad you don't ball golf!

Which is why DGCR Player Ratings are just an estimate and is only for people to compare how THEY are doing.

Off topic

Quote:
Unless there is beer involved. Then I am pretty darn good...on the right course.
Beer in ball golf helps drives alot . . . but plays havoc with putting.

On topic - no one has actually answered the question but that's fine I was just curious.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 363
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
Who died and made the PDGA the king of all things competitive disc golf? Do you realize how many unsanctioned leagues and tournaments are going on? Do you realize that there are more local competitions happening on a weekly basis than anything sanctioned by the PDGA?
Whose rules do all these other tournaments defer to?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Our club plays by our own rules, there are a number of PDGA rules we don't follow and rules we've added in. Most of the basic rules of disc golf weren't established by the PDGA anyway so don't act like they invented the sport. That's like saying if you play basketball you're under the jurisdiction of the NBA.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Whose rules do all these other tournaments defer to?
I think the beef was that the ratings were said to be completely meaningless and useless. Not that the PDGA was completely meaningless and useless.

JTacoma03 was saying that unless your rating in a PDGA tournament your scores were meaningless.

Which is just a silly thing to say and maybe it was beer talking. In ball golf I have a handicap that I enter every round even casual rounds. But I also play ball golf like it WAS a tournament. Rules are rules, even casual rounds.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
On topic - no one has actually answered the question but that's fine I was just curious.
I tried to, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Thread title is "DGCR Ratings vs. Reality." I supposed we could mince definitions, but as I understand it, the purpose of DCGR Ratings is to approximate what the PDGA ratings would be for rounds entered in your DGCR Scorebook (i.e. I took reality to mean PDGA rating).*

Most people have generally found pretty good congruency between the two (within 10-15 rating points for a given round). I was pointing out a glaring 100 point difference between the two ratings for a par round at essentially the same course, and explained a possible reason for that difference.

Or, did I completely misinterpret your question?

* My disclaimer for the politically minded: Not intended as any endorsement for/against the PDGA. Just explaining my interpretation the OP's use of "DGCR Ratings vs. Reality," based on my understanding of DGCR Ratings.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Birdie Member

Actually the fault is mine as I sort of morphed my original question into something else!

I was wondering what the distribution was for ratings. Was it a bell curve of is it top heavy. If there are 100s are there . . 2000s?? How high can you get :-)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Record for an official rating is 1132 by Paul McBeth.

Low is...who knows. Probably in the 500's.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
There apparently was a guy with a rating below 100. He had a negative round rating and it didn't get dropped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post

Low is...who knows. Probably in the 500's.
read above

Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'm fairly confident my DGCR rating of 890 is higher than my PDGA rating would be if I had one. I attribute this to familiarity with my home course, and the fact that if I were playing a tournament on my home course, it would be in a longer layout that would hurt me because I don't drive far.

However, since I am not a PDGA member and don't play (m)any tournaments, I find the DGCR rating to be a useful tool in tracking my progress.