Disc Golf Store
  #31  
Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 AM
dekdo's Avatar
dekdo dekdo is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,325
930 on DGCR

I don't have a PDGA# yet soo... yeah
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-14-2013, 02:03 AM
jeverett's Avatar
jeverett jeverett is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
At a non-sanctioned event at Stoney Hill, two people shot scores that, if they'd been shot in the sanctioned tournament a week before and if points-per-stroke was linear (which I assume it's not), I figured would have been a rating of 8.
The PDGA rating-increment-per-throw is indeed linear, and dependent only on the SSA for the round/event. I have those formulas posted in a few threads, if you want to look at them. Note: I'm not necessarily saying that the rating-increment-per-throw *should* be linear.. I have a post about that particular issue with the PDGA rating system around here too.

Getting a round rating of ~10 would be quite a feat, though. That's like shooting a +95 round or so. :P
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 AM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
Lol, yea you are the kind of person who would think the only thing that matters is what you do in a PDGA sanctioned tournament.

What about people who don't give a **** about the PDGA and tournaments? What about the people who only play casual rounds?

Who died and made the PDGA the king of all things competitive disc golf? Do you realize how many unsanctioned leagues and tournaments are going on? Do you realize that there are more local competitions happening on a weekly basis than anything sanctioned by the PDGA?

Are you saying those groups and people shouldn't have a system at their disposal to use in the same manner that the PDGA uses player ratings?

Yea you are saying those things and that's why I rarely agree with anything you say.
You sound like a whiny teenager.

Let's use some grown-up logic:

If they "don't give a **** about the PDGA and tournaments" then why would they care about a rating...for anything other than entertainment purposes? (Logic 1, New 0)

We disc golfers made the PDGA "king of all thing competitive"...it's exactly what they are, the standardization by which we govern and execute the game. Unsanctioned leagues (I play in one, betcha didn't know) mostly or completely abide by PDGA rules...so...
(Logic 2, New 0)

You struck out asking a leading question which has nothing to do with my previous post.
(Logic gets the K, next batter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
ummmmm - that is the whole point for DGCR Player Ratings isn't it? They are not used for anything are they?

Glad you don't ball golf!
I actually grew up golfing. I love the game and follow the major tournaments on TV when I can. It's the whole reason I enjoyed disc golf at first throw was because of the mental game similarities between Golf and Disc Golf.

Quote:
Which is why DGCR Player Ratings are just an estimate and is only for people to compare how THEY are doing.
Which sounds like you're agreeing with me...so...yeah.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:47 AM
AndyJB's Avatar
AndyJB AndyJB is online now
Chaw Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Disc Golf Mecca: Colorado
Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,868
I think the DGCR ratings are more accurate than my PDGA rating. Mostly because I have way more rounds recorded on here than rounds with the PDGA. I've been steadily improving over the last two years, and I think my DGCR rating really reflects my current level of play, where my PDGA rating is still a good 50 points short.

So, I dig the DGCR ratings for sure. I think it's very handy.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
All right David, you have to share a little more. How does one shoot an 8?
Start with the fact that Stoney Hill is a pretty challenging course, with no short tees and lots of O.B. It's no place for beginners.

A week before our tournament a few years ago, the Deaf Disc Golfers held their South Carolina tournament here. It's sort of a tournament/convention, as almost everyone involved camped out on the course (probably 40-50 people).

There are some pretty good, Advanced-level players among them whom I've played with at other times, in and out of tournaments. But some must be rank beginners, or very casual players. I didn't watch it, but.....

Two players each shot rounds of 162 on the then 20-hole layout. Yeah, that's an average of over 8 shots per hole, or something like 40' per shot for the length of the course (obviously driving more than 40', since several putts were involved). Or, I think it was, 104 strokes over par.

The next week we had our regular sanctioned tournament. I can't remember the figures but I looked at the SSA we produced, the points-per-stroke, and worked backwards to something like an 8. (For example, if a score of 63 was rated 998 and it was 10 points per stroke, those 99 extra strokes would be 990 points off).

*

So the lesson is, the bottom to the ratings is very low if the right people bother to use them. (The "445" rated player I cited had just turned 5-years-old, but was a PDGA member having just played his first sanctioned event).
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:07 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,024
Lulz. A 5 year old? No wonder.

I'm trying to wrap my head around an able bodied man throwing for 40' average distance. It's also hard for me to imagine scoring so high, since all the courses I play are open. My worst score on a single hole, ever, is a 7. And that was because I went OB twice.

Stoney Hill is the type of course I'd love to try, to see where my skills really are.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,803
One of the two "8-rated rounds" was an able-bodied man. The other was a woman. Kinda' funny that they could throw that many throws, and end up tied.

350' average hole length. Give yourself 3 putts and 1 O.B. stroke, now you're throwing about 90' per throw to average an 8. I can't imagine how their really bad holes went.

But at least they had fun.

Anyway, they and the 5-year-old are just illustrative of the fact that, if you're wondering how low a rating can go, it's probably pretty low.

If you're thinking more mainstream---an at least fairly healthy male, between ages of 15-60, who's played at least a half-dozen rounds---the lowest conceivable rating is much higher.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-14-2013, 01:14 PM
New013's Avatar
New013 New013 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,823
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
If they "don't give a **** about the PDGA and tournaments" then why would they care about a rating...for anything other than entertainment purposes? (Logic 1, New 0)

We disc golfers made the PDGA "king of all thing competitive"...it's exactly what they are, the standardization by which we govern and execute the game. Unsanctioned leagues (I play in one, betcha didn't know) mostly or completely abide by PDGA rules...so...
(Logic 2, New 0)

You struck out asking a leading question which has nothing to do with my previous post.
(Logic gets the K, next batter)
1 - i already pointed ou how dgcr ratings could be used for more than entertainment purposes, you just overlook what you disagree with. you can use your rating to track your progress, you can use your rating to compare yourself to your friends who play on similar courses, local clubs could use the system to set up a ratings system for league events.. etc. none of those are for entertainment purposes and i already pointed that out.

2 - who is we? the pdga did not invent the rules of disc golf. you can not say that because any competitive round of disc golf follows the basic rules of disc golf they are getting those cues from the pdga. also where is your proof that most clubs follow pdga rules? i'd like to see your actual facts and not just what you think. oh that's right as usual you're short on facts big on calling people names who don't agree with you.

3 - everything is relevant, even how wrong you were about the copter cam
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 PM
thrembo's Avatar
thrembo thrembo is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Port Charlotte, Fl
Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,540
My DGCR rating is my reality.
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM
rj29274's Avatar
rj29274 rj29274 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Flagstaff AZ
Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 906
pdga 990 (29274, not current this year)
dgcr 1011

My rating is probably somewhere in between. Most of my dgcr rated rounds are from league, monthlies, pdga or other structured rounds. However, some of the pdga and dgcr course ratings have been different
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.