Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
Does Ultimate have payouts in merch like Disc Golf?
There are occasionally payouts for winning teams at tournaments, but more often than not it's a goofy trophy or bragging rights (usually bragging rights). Playing the game is its own reward.

That said, Ultimate is currently undergoing a reorganization. The series format (sectionals-regionals-nationals) is all different starting this year. There's also the burgeoning MLU league. I'm not sure exactly how profits are distributed in MLU.

The male/female split is way more even than dg, but it's nowhere near 50/50. Coed tournaments are usually 4/3 or 5/2 format but teams always have more trouble finding women to play than men. I would estimate that the true split is more like 6/1 based on league participation in Knoxville, Tampa, Austin, and Albuquerque.

And ultimate is played recreationally all over the country, not just in college towns. It's very easy to find a game wherever you are.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 50
One thing that I think Ultimate got right and disc golf got wrong is the way the money from tournaments/events gets distributed.

In ultimate, the players pay to enter events and get to participate. The TDs or organizing groups put on the event. They roll some of that money into renting fields/paint for lines/snacks for everyone/liability insurance/etc. The rest they keep to do what they please. Teams will often host tournaments as fund-raisers.

It means the people who have to do all the boring work get paid and the people who are paying to play the game don't get all distracted by worrying about if the payout is big enough or fair or whatever.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 AM

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 31
I got my start in disc sports playing ultimate for my college club team after I couldn't hack it on the basketball court anymore. It's definitely a serious competitive sport at multiple levels as well as a popular recreational sport.

To the OP, I think a big part of what drove the development of ultimate in an organized way was the fact that it became so popular in universities along with the fact that it is a team sport. It was easy enough to transition this game into a more organized activity and compete with other teams/schools, so much so that at many of the tournaments I used to go to, there were multiple high school teams competing, organized by their schools, traveling and competing with school funds. At this point, it's basically one step away from becoming a NCAA sanctioned sport.

Disc golf could be there too if we continue to push for legitimacy with the younger kids, create leagues, get the parents on board that this is a legitimate activity for their children to participate in. Schools will continue to take notice and form clubs/teams/leagues and drive the sport. Ultimate just had a bit of a head start because it has the familiar elements of a team passing something to each other on a field with end zones.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.2
Looks like ultimate will be on ESPN. Disc golf does get a mention at the end of the article.
http://content.time.com/time/magazin...153105,00.html
Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 151
Ultimate Everything

Growing up, a Frisbee was a cheap way to play every sport. We played Frisbee golf, Frisbee football, Frisbee basketball, Frisbee soccer and Frisbee baseball. Much like Ultimate in all these games you were not allowed to move while holding the Frisbee. In Frisbee basketball, the best way to hit a layup was edge on using the backboard. But guys would hit shots from center court and we would shoot free throws as well. In Frisbee baseball, the pitcher would glide it in and you had to catch and throw in one continuous 270-degree spin. Admittedly the baseball wasn't too successful and we had to institute a rule that anything that didn't get out of the infield in the air was a foul. Frisbee soccer we played either on lacrosse goals or if we had to use real soccer goals, then we used an Aerobie.
When I hit college, I started playing Ultimate: first in intramurals at UWisc-Madison and later in city/county leagues and at work. I played in a DC league and found it was way too serious (assigned roles and called plays and timeouts to discuss strategy). I preferred the freestyle of intramurals and company leagues where there were no breaks and the trash talking was good spirited and we all went out afterward. Never won a city/county league so I don't know what the prizes were. For company and intramurals, it was T shirts.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
The old Frisbee days were fun. We did mostly free style tossing and Frisbee golf.
I played one organized game of Ultimate when I was 23 in Columbus, Indiana. It was something they did every Thursday night. It was the way Crooow describes it. I was invited by people I was working with at the time.
Good, fun times!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
well the best things involve a pitcher and a catcher.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtencer View Post
One thing that I think Ultimate got right and disc golf got wrong is the way the money from tournaments/events gets distributed.

In ultimate, the players pay to enter events and get to participate. The TDs or organizing groups put on the event. They roll some of that money into renting fields/paint for lines/snacks for everyone/liability insurance/etc. The rest they keep to do what they please. Teams will often host tournaments as fund-raisers.

It means the people who have to do all the boring work get paid and the people who are paying to play the game don't get all distracted by worrying about if the payout is big enough or fair or whatever.
I don't know of any other sport that does tournament payouts the way that disc golf does. Ultimate, regular golf, baseball, volleyball, races/triathlons, they all do it roughly the same way. Trophy and a small prize for the winners, maybe a t-shirt or something for everyone else. The participants don't go into the event expecting a bunch of free stuff for not winning.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.2
Courses Played: 24
Back in the day Ultimate was looked upon as elitist by us disc golfers.

Ultimate was for the people that all wanted to dress nice, in clean shorts and matching team shirts.
They were the Beemer crowd, you know, Biff and Muffy and friends.

If there was a disc sport that had a clubhouse, and a swanky restaurant with white table cloths, it would be Ultimate.

Disc golf was festivus for the rest of us.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarel View Post
well the best things involve a pitcher and a catcher.
Damn!
Nuff said!

I only ever heard about Ultimate from the old ass ATARI game. I have still never seen it around here. Seems weird to me but after years of chucking I do have some lids. One that I found at the course has a Berkshires stamp. No clue how it got to this coast. Can't throw them for shyte.