Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
I don't know of any other sport that does tournament payouts the way that disc golf does. Ultimate, regular golf, baseball, volleyball, races/triathlons, they all do it roughly the same way. Trophy and a small prize for the winners, maybe a t-shirt or something for everyone else. The participants don't go into the event expecting a bunch of free stuff for not winning.
There may be some other oddball minor sports that nobody follows that pay out like disc golf, but no other major amateur sport does. That should tell you something.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtencer View Post
One thing that I think Ultimate got right and disc golf got wrong is the way the money from tournaments/events gets distributed.

In ultimate, the players pay to enter events and get to participate. The TDs or organizing groups put on the event. They roll some of that money into renting fields/paint for lines/snacks for everyone/liability insurance/etc. The rest they keep to do what they please. Teams will often host tournaments as fund-raisers.

It means the people who have to do all the boring work get paid and the people who are paying to play the game don't get all distracted by worrying about if the payout is big enough or fair or whatever.

Can't quote this enough. Having played collegiate intra-mural Ultimate leagues, the payout system in DG is kinda funny.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Ultimate and disc golf are polar opposites. Ultimate uses "the Spirit of the Game" as an honor code to enforce fair play. Disc golf just ignores fair play and lets anything go.
This is changing rapidly though.

USAU Sanctioned events (the Series) have observers in games that make rulings when players aren't able to reach an agreement on what happened. They don't make active calls (fouls, travels, etc) but they are the final say what called upon.

And I'm not much into MLU so I'm not positive but I believe they've installed, essentially, a passive referee that has the ability to actively make certain calls and only judge on others. This is the direction many people in the Ultimate community want.

I started playing Ultimate and Disc Golf around the same time, about 4 years ago. I played Ultimate semi-competitively for a couple of years, trying out for the men's club team Prairie Fire here in KC. I eventually chose Disc Golf for the competitive route, but still play pickup Ultimate and in Rec Leagues here in KC.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 13
History, sanctioning, structure etc can be found at
www.usaultimate.org

There is an elite division for open teams that has a payout. Look at the top flight.

Ultimate does one thing much better that has developed the sport way more than the Pdga
The sanctioning body runs all the top National Tournaments, big reason why it has much more exposure than disc golf
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
It was developed by people too sissy for football or too white for basketball, and too stoned to be good at either.
Paraphrased for truth.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allurex View Post
USAU Sanctioned events (the Series) have observers in games that make rulings when players aren't able to reach an agreement on what happened. They don't make active calls (fouls, travels, etc) but they are the final say what called upon.

And I'm not much into MLU so I'm not positive but I believe they've installed, essentially, a passive referee that has the ability to actively make certain calls and only judge on others. This is the direction many people in the Ultimate community want.

I started playing Ultimate and Disc Golf around the same time, about 4 years ago. I played Ultimate semi-competitively for a couple of years, trying out for the men's club team Prairie Fire here in KC. I eventually chose Disc Golf for the competitive route, but still play pickup Ultimate and in Rec Leagues here in KC.
MLU has no more player calls, only referees.

I think Three Putt just had a bad experience over the weekend and wanted to bash discgolf. But the conduct of the players and the spirit of the game is also a big part in disc golf, since we referee each other in the tournament fligths.

WHat really troubles me in Ultimate is that the disc just goes back to the previous thrower if people can not reach an agreement. It means that you can undo any mistake you make with bad calls. Yes, you will get a worse spirit rating, but many people dont care about that as long as they win games... Luckily there is no such thing in Discgolf.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
I just watched The Invisible Thread. I was surprised to learn that Guts was around before Ultimate.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
I think Three Putt just had a bad experience over the weekend and wanted to bash discgolf. But the conduct of the players and the spirit of the game is also a big part in disc golf, since we referee each other in the tournament fligths.
Disc golf has a culture of ignoring the rules. You really have to get to an A tier before anybody even considers following the rules, and there it is only in the top divisions. The "Spirit of the Game" we carry is that it's just you and me so don't be a douchebag and let me say this disc that is clearly 2" in the creek is touching a bank.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Disc golf has a culture of ignoring the rules. You really have to get to an A tier before anybody even considers following the rules, and there it is only in the top divisions. The "Spirit of the Game" we carry is that it's just you and me so don't be a douchebag and let me say this disc that is clearly 2" in the creek is touching a bank.
I dont know where you play, but here in europe it's nothing like you describe. But we have mostly just pro tournaments, we dont have enugh players to fill amateur or recreational fields for tournaments, maybe it's better because of this.