Disc Golf Store
Old 07-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Elbow Pain—Is it my technigue?

First of all, this is not a "what's wrong with my elbow" question. I know that a doctor is the only person qualified to tell me where the pain is coming from. Background: I'm 52 and been playing for a little over 3 years. My throwing arm/elbow have never given me problems before. My arm has never hurt after playing, not even on 3 round hot days. I considered myself somewhat of a noodle arm, being able to throw about 275 with pretty good accuracy.

So, I've been working on my footwork, snap and follow through this summer with pretty good results. I'm up to about 325 or so on a regular basis. But, as I've searched for that last little bit of extension on my follow through, all of a sudden my elbow is killing me to the point of having to shut down right in the middle of a round on Friday night. It feels like what I'd expect a hyper extended elbow to feel like. Not sure since I've never had that happen to me before.

I'm in a bit of a panic this weekend. I can't throw at all. It feels like a dead arm. This was supposed to be the low impact sport I was going to be able to play into retirement and beyond.

Sorry for the long set up but here's my question. I thought my form was getting much better, but if it's causing my elbow to take the brunt of the stress of a throw, does that mean my form is not as good as I thought? Should a good throw create torque on the elbow assuming correct snap and follow through? Does bad form lead to sore arms/elbows? Must I be strong arming still if this is what is happening?

Anyone have any insight? I'm planning on putting myself on the at least the 10 day disabled list to give my joint some rest, but I"m asking so that I don't go back and re-injure myself right away. Maybe what happened was just one of those things that happen as you get older.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
It's likely to be bad mechanics. The elbow should never get to fully locked out extension even through the finish, that is the weakest position the elbow can be in. It could be you aren't clearing the front hip or early shoulder rotation jamming the arm follow through, or bad wrist mechanics causing golfer/tennis elbow.

A good throw will feel like you created so much momentum on the disc that it's momentum pulls you into a balanced followthrough effortlessly.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Par Member

Thanks sidewinder. I've heard people on here say that getting snap is a lot like snapping a towel. When I "mime" that motion in my easy chair, it's hard to see how to snap the towel without my elbow being fully extended. Try it once while you stand still. It feels like the elbow is getting torqued during the throw as a natural consequence. I'm sure you are right, I'm just trying to image a throwing motion that doe snot fully extend the elbow joint.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
How should we know if you dont provide a video of you throwing ?

Why is this not in the "critique my technique" section ?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
You could have good form and damage some ligaments that have been dormant for 30 years, too, just from pushing them further than they were expecting.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Par Member

Thinking about this more. I've been reading this board a long time and I don't consistently hear about people blowing out elbows. So it must not be that big of a stress on the joint as I'm apparently having right now. I'm prolly trying to throw way too hard. I'm trying to keep up with people 20 years younger than me! I'm just frustrated because I'd play every day if I could and right now I'm missing prime summer throwing.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.7
I find that when I'm trying to 'arm' the disc too much instead of letting my body act as a catapult to release it, my elbow starts to tweak (happened yesterday when I was trying to see how far I could throw my Shock).
Old 07-21-2013, 08:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
Thanks sidewinder. I've heard people on here say that getting snap is a lot like snapping a towel. When I "mime" that motion in my easy chair, it's hard to see how to snap the towel without my elbow being fully extended. Try it once while you stand still. It feels like the elbow is getting torqued during the throw as a natural consequence. I'm sure you are right, I'm just trying to image a throwing motion that doe snot fully extend the elbow joint.
I've said the following before.... I don't think the towel drill is good for anything other than learning to accelerate late or warming up once you have good mechanics. Trying to actually snap a towel is not a throwing motion and does stress the elbow. Throwing a disc is more like throwing a hammer.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
Thinking about this more. I've been reading this board a long time and I don't consistently hear about people blowing out elbows. So it must not be that big of a stress on the joint as I'm apparently having right now. I'm prolly trying to throw way too hard. I'm trying to keep up with people 20 years younger than me! I'm just frustrated because I'd play every day if I could and right now I'm missing prime summer throwing.
I see forehanders complaining about elbow pain more than backhanders. I developed elbow pain throwing knuckleballs, and it has worsened with disc golf even though I'm 99% backhand. At times to the point of inhibiting my play.

But if you're talking a sudden injury---a blowout---I still contend that though it is probably from bad form, it could be unrelated. After all, major league pitchers blow out their arms, and they have the best form that the best experts in the world can teach them. And, none of them is over 50 years old and brittle.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
After all, major league pitchers blow out their arms, and they have the best form that the best experts in the world can teach them.
There are plenty of MLB pitchers with bad mechanics and they are typically the one's that get injured, like Strasburg. Pro pitchers for some reason are scouted and allowed to throw with bad mechanics because they are effective and it's not hard to find replacement pitchers. Compared to NFL QBs who are typically scouted more for their pro type throwing mechanics or the coaches will actively try to change their mechanics like Tebow. Quality QB's are much rarer than pitchers, so they want to protect them.