Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
I think MJ's rating would go up if he was on the road playing more often. The young guys on tour can almost devote all of their time to disc golf because they're using that to support themselves. Guys who stay local like MJ have other **** to do, they're not out practicing and playing all the time. A lot of those guys have jobs and families to devote their time to. The fact anyone can sustain a high rating like that not playing disc golf all the time is pretty remarkable.

Beyond that I just looked up his results from this year and he's played 7 of 11 outside of Charlotte. 15 of 22 of the events used in his rating were outside of Charlotte. So that kind of debunks your entire he only plays local courses theory.

Also it doesn't matter if Climo is only playing courses in Florida. Florida is a pretty damn big place. I'm not going to look where each tourney he's played was but just because a course is in Florida doesn't mean he's playing it often. If I went and played a course in Charlotte and won nobody would say oh he won but he's a local NC guy... that just doesn't make any sense.

Are any other old guys out playing on a regular basis and still keeping a high rating? Uh yeah, look at what Schultz and Schwebby are doing. They're playing a lot of tourneys this year and last time I checked they're both still really high rated players.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
First, i can't think of many (maybe any?) players capable of contending for world titles who don't throw 400+ feet but lets say super accurate guy up to 375' exists. It would be really course dependent whether he could compete. He could probably be in contention in Charlotte for instance but if they played in many of the Texas courses he would be at a disadvantage and probably wouldn't contend.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 35
When Kenny made this statement I believe the Gazelle and Cyclone were the top distance disc and most courses were 5000-6000'. He could park 90% of the par 3 holes. Early in his career he was not known as a great putter, just very consistent. I think he also said putting was like 25% of his game. Russell was the first guy who won more from putting well. The PDGA also doesn't set up most Worlds to let guys with a really big arm have too much of an advantage.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
So I read that Ken Climo once said that if a person can throw 375ft they can win a World Championship. I feel that it may be possible but would be very hard considering all the huge distance throwers nowadays. A person only throwing 375ft on 500ft+ holes would have a huge disadvantage & their lack of distance would cost them strokes. Thoughts?
As others have pointed out, he almost certainly meant throwing super accurately at 375' and being able to hit most any line. Taking disc technology advancements into account, that means you're probably topping out well over 400'.

Here's another quote from KC about distance and disc selection to give some context on what he was capable of:

http://www.kenclimo.com/discuss_3.htm

Quote:
The 400-foot barrier was broken more because of the plastic that came out than my technique. When the Stingrays and Cobras were introduced in 1988, I could throw 400 feet.
Another thing to consider is that many that find the technique required to get big "snap" report that their driving consistency improves as well. If you're hitting a real specific timing on every shot you're more likely to have a repeatable drive. So not only does more distance help at shorter drives because you're using slower, easier to control discs, the technique you're using is inherently more accurate.

So it may be theoretically possible to win Worlds while topping out at 375' (though I don't think that's what KC meant), everyone who can throw farther will have an advantage and there's nothing about throwing farther that's a disadvantage at that level.

This is a bit OT, but while searching for that link I gave above I found this:

http://www.kenclimo.com/distance.htm

In the section titled "ROLLING YOUR WRIST AND FOLLOW-THROUGH" he describes using OAT to control the flight of your discs.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Yep. How old is his little one? 2?

Not all disc golfers have families.

Anyway, Climo and MJ are both kick *** disc golfers and probably awesome guys. I feel like my comments might seem offensive but that's not my intent. Shutting up now....
I don't know Climos daughters age, because well....why would I.

And of course not all Disc golfers have families. Same as not all gingers are soul-less devil eyed scum. But some are.

Age is huge in the touring thing. If you are single, young and a 1000 rated, college educated dger, why not travel the NT's.

If you are 40+ and have a wife and family, stay local and make some cash. Seems logical.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
I think people here believe pros throw further than they actually do. If you watch most tourney videos you do not see pros bombing 500' really ever on a flat ground hole not wide open but not wooded either. I have only seen one person ever throw over 500 in person and the rest of their game was wack.

I'd go out on a limb and say if you could throw 375' with nearly 100% accuracy then you COULD win. I also agree with the statement that most people on here cannot even clear a football field but think they are throwing 450'

I read in the vibram thread the other day someone is throwing their lace over 500' and a few weeks ago he was asking for form feedback... Hmm?! I love this place.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I think people here believe pros throw further than they actually do. If you watch most tourney videos you do not see pros bombing 500' really ever on a flat ground hole not wide open but not wooded either. I have only seen one person ever throw over 500 in person and the rest of their game was wack.

I'd go out on a limb and say if you could throw 375' with nearly 100% accuracy then you COULD win. I also agree with the statement that most people on here cannot even clear a football field but think they are throwing 450'

I read in the vibram thread the other day someone is throwing their lace over 500' and a few weeks ago he was asking for form feedback... Hmm?! I love this place.
At the sellersville fish bowl they did field games after the tourney and lots of people (pros and ams alike) took loads of throws at a pin 500' away on flat ground. The winning throw... 488' and there a bunch of respectable guys in the field. I will say, however, that almost everyone who stepped up was throwing 375-450 but they certainly weren't throwing any long.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Yep^ you see lots of 400'+ holes on MPO tourney vids which are not being "parked" Even at the Majestic this year where some holes you really COULD air it out, they didn't and shots probably landed 20-50' further than mine would have...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Perhaps. In MJ's case, he likes to stay local. That's awesome. He has said here that he doesn't get along with many of the other top pros. If he was stuck travelling all over, playing at unfamiliar courses with guys he didn't like, do you think he'd be rated as high? ???

I'm sure MJ cares more about having fun, than his rating anyway. The guy just loves to play disc golf.
I'm not going to go find all the details, but a while back there was a guy who played only in North Dakota. I think his name was something like Darrel Nodland. Because he never played outside of ND, everyone assumed his rating up in the 1020+ range was a fluke and didn't count because he didn't travel. He showed up at the USDGC, shot his rating and finished top 5. Most pros struggle there the first couple times they go out, he shot right where his rating predicted. The ratings a lot more consistent and portable than people want to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbanbury View Post
At the sellersville fish bowl they did field games after the tourney and lots of people (pros and ams alike) took loads of throws at a pin 500' away on flat ground. The winning throw... 488' and there a bunch of respectable guys in the field. I will say, however, that almost everyone who stepped up was throwing 375-450 but they certainly weren't throwing any long.
There are plenty of counter examples too. Last year at Bowling Green Ams, at least a half dozen people threw over 500' in the distance competition with a couple pushing 550'. Several more were out around 475'. Just because a bunch of people exaggerate their distance on the internet doesn't mean it's impossible to throw that distance, or even that uncommon.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Yep^ you see lots of 400'+ holes on MPO tourney vids which are not being "parked" Even at the Majestic this year where some holes you really COULD air it out, they didn't and shots probably landed 20-50' further than mine would have...
Really airing one out cuts down on consistency. That's why you don't see pros doing it all that often.