Disc Golf Store
Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I'm not going to go find all the details, but a while back there was a guy who played only in North Dakota. I think his name was something like Darrel Nodland. Because he never played outside of ND, everyone assumed his rating up in the 1020+ range was a fluke and didn't count because he didn't travel. He showed up at the USDGC, shot his rating and finished top 5. Most pros struggle there the first couple times they go out, he shot right where his rating predicted. The ratings a lot more consistent and portable than people want to believe.

There are plenty of counter examples too. Last year at Bowling Green Ams, at least a half dozen people threw over 500' in the distance competition with a couple pushing 550'. Several more were out around 475'. Just because a bunch of people exaggerate their distance on the internet doesn't mean it's impossible to throw that distance, or even that uncommon.
Nodland throws Rhyno's 375+
PS His course he designed at Patterson Lake in ND is awesome and one of the hardest I've ever played. And his tournament that he ran there (Badlands Open) had ridiculous value for everyone that played.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bassman View Post
Ken Climo once said..... When did he say that?

Maybe we should discuss this in the time context of the statement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
A quote from Robert Leonard, MTL21676 on PDGA http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=20591 , post #27 , Oct 02, 2005. He is _MTL_ on here.

"1. Kenny told me that you only need 375 feet to win a world title."
People seem to be over looking the when. The quote was posted back in 2005 when speed 10 drivers were the fastest drivers Innova made. Climo might have said it a few years earlier even. It's a lot easier to throw a Katana 375' than a Valkyrie or an Orc.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
There are plenty of counter examples too. Last year at Bowling Green Ams, at least a half dozen people threw over 500' in the distance competition with a couple pushing 550'. Several more were out around 475'. Just because a bunch of people exaggerate their distance on the internet doesn't mean it's impossible to throw that distance, or even that uncommon.
Of course. The distance competition at am worlds clearly shows there are ams throwing over 500'. My point was more that there seems to often be a perception that open players in general can throw 450-500 on command and i find that to often not be the case.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM

ken's just trying to expand the sport
Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Even on a wide-open 500' hole---which, hopefully, isn't too common at Worlds---the 500' thrower would have to be not just long, but accurate. If he's 40' left or right, he'll gain a stroke only on the times he makes that putt. Otherwise, the 375' thrower will have an easy approach and drop-in, and both will get a 3.

It's more like the 425' holes where he'll have an advantage.
Here's my argument for "wide-open, 500 foot holes."

I would much rather be able to throw 500 with little accuracy. That way, at least I have a chance of parking it or putting it in the circle for birdie. If I am 125' to the right of the target (a very bad throw) I am still in the same position as the short thrower on his best possible throw.

Obviously you could throw in from either case, so that's negligible. Theoretically, a 375' thrower will always take a 3, and the 500' thrower will always take at least a 3, sometimes a 2.

woods throw that all out the window though
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
Here's my argument for "wide-open, 500 foot holes."

I would much rather be able to throw 500 with little accuracy. That way, at least I have a chance of parking it or putting it in the circle for birdie. If I am 125' to the right of the target (a very bad throw) I am still in the same position as the short thrower on his best possible throw.

Obviously you could throw in from either case, so that's negligible. Theoretically, a 375' thrower will always take a 3, and the 500' thrower will always take at least a 3, sometimes a 2.

woods throw that all out the window though
Agreed. My thought is that the "sometimes a 2" won't amount to a whole lot, unless a course has a bunch of those holes, which I really hope it doesn't.

The 500' thrower perhaps has more advantage on a 700-800' open hole.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I would venture to say that nobody is pinpoint accurate to 375. Not even Paul McBeth, and he'd probably admit it. Wait a second...he was pinpoint to 375 once this year, and he had the highest rated round ever.
That course had many 400-500 foot holes which he parked and deuced. No way he would have done the same score with only throwing 375.

Sorry but the entire discussion about accuracy vs power is stupid. It is very clear that you always want more of both.

Why is it always "either power or accuracy". That's just moronic. Anyone who has a thougth out training plan will work on both and balance it. Also power helps with accuracy cause you can disc down.

I think people who are so desperate to defend their noodle arms just gave up trying for more distance and are jaelous. Need something to feel better when they see someone throw far and go to the old "haha if he throws that far, he certainly cant putt" clichée.

Sorry, but anybody who treats DG as a serious sport would not even think about starting this discussion because the entire outline is so stupid.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 51
^

Special thanks to the international serious police.

It seems to me, if we're talking about Worlds', that most of the courses used are set up to punish lack of accuracy way more than lack of distance.

We talk about distance in a vacuum a lot on this site, but I'd wager that what Climo meant was throwing accurate, predictible golf shots to that distance. He's got enough sense to not claim that any hacker who can clear 375 on a soccer field could win a world title.

I think somebody got close to this point already, but any player with the overall game to even think about competing for a pro world title, and given today's disc technology, the only reason they won't be able to throw more than 375 deadlly accurately would be choice. As in "I'm going to win worlds with throwing a single wedge rimmed disc."
Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 28
Winning distance in the Max D competition at the Music City Open last week was over 650ft! More than one competitor threw that far.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 107
Nate Sexton is a 1035? rated pro who can throw 450 but from what I have seen rarely chooses to do so, opting for a super accurate forehand <400ft. If there is anyone in the world other than Champ who could shoot lights out without throwing far it would be him. smart golf and good putting go a LONG way.

also Emac won 2010 worlds and the vast majority of top players throw farther than he does. Even if the holes are 450ft- throwing accurate 50 short and hitting the putt >>> throwing it past/wide 25ft away and being in a bush with a low % putt

Last edited by LukeButch; 07-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.