Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeButch View Post
Nate Sexton is a 1035? rated pro who can throw 450 but from what I have seen rarely chooses to do so, opting for a super accurate forehand <400ft. If there is anyone in the world other than Champ who could shoot lights out without throwing far it would be him. smart golf and good putting go a LONG way.

also Emac won 2010 worlds and the vast majority of top players throw farther than he does. Even if the holes are 450ft- throwing accurate 50 short and hitting the putt >>> throwing it past/wide 25ft away and being in a bush with a low % putt
EMac is no slouch. He's got pro-tour distance (425-450')
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 78
Almost a decade past this quote, I would assume Kenny would change his quote to be something like415' now, since many par 3s on the supertours are in that range these days.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Slightly OT - what will it be in another 10 years - 500', 550'? Given that there still seems to be a 300-350 plateau/barrier will the distance seperation between average and pro continue to increase?

I know the golf to DG comparisons are not always valid but what's the distance seperation (in percentage) in golf?

Last edited by KniceZ; 07-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I have video footage of Climo and Stokely in the 1998 Discraft Great Lakes Open (Both Rico brothers also on the final 9 card). On Hole #4 of Hudson Mills' Original, Stokely reared back and launched his drive over by the next tee for the first alternate hole, pin-high, about 450' or so? Climo's drive was about 375'...75 feet shy of the basket.

Ken, of course, canned his upshot and birdied the hole. Stokely didn't, if memory serves.

(One of these days, I will figure out how to get that old footage on a computer.)
Play it on whatever media device you can, and record it with a really nice camera better than nothing
Old 07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrod25 View Post
Winning distance in the Max D competition at the Music City Open last week was over 650ft! More than one competitor threw that far.
GG, wiggins jr, lots of guys threw some bombs.. good times
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 6
Does anyone know if there is any footage or even results of the distance contest they had there? Watching that kinda stuff is by far my favorite disc golf footage to watch
Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 7
500 ft throws have no place on the course. I've played on maybe 2 or 3 holes where I have to, or can drive over 350.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Big difference between have to and can. I can think of plenty of holes where you can throw 500', if you can actually throw that far, and perhaps gain a marginal advantage over a 400' throw. And I'm in the forested Carolinas.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Sure, but the thing is to have pinpoint accuracy at 375' means you have the ability to throw significantly farther. Nobody is controlled and accurate every time at their max distance.
Wrong, but I am likely the exception to the rule. I have a fairly accurate 380-410, but no matter what I do I cannot break that barrier. I have tried emulating what the big guns do but often I come up even shorter. So, my maximum distance open field shot is also my controlled distance shot; it is the only way I know and or can throw for max distance. If I ever need more than 440, it is never going to happen.

I will concede that I am not accurate every time I throw for max distance, but let's just say that the thing keeping me back is my putting in the 20-35 foot range.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Wrong, but I am likely the exception to the rule. I have a fairly accurate 380-410, but no matter what I do I cannot break that barrier. I have tried emulating what the big guns do but often I come up even shorter. So, my maximum distance open field shot is also my controlled distance shot; it is the only way I know and or can throw for max distance. If I ever need more than 440, it is never going to happen.

I will concede that I am not accurate every time I throw for max distance, but let's just say that the thing keeping me back is my putting in the 20-35 foot range.
Back in 2004 I won a AM tournament and I couldn't throw that far,but I was highly accurate. I could throw in the 340ft to 370ft range back then. All the other guys could bomb past me with ease,but their upshot and putting games were not that great.

It pays to learn accuracy more than distance in my opinion. It also pays to have a good upshot and putting game as well.

Still today some of these young guns at the local course can blast past me,but I always have the edge with my accuracy. I always get how do you stay so accurate? I just laugh and say years of experience guys.