Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Ego stroking is now complete. I voted yes on all of them for you.
Second. I see this thread has already netted at least 10 more since Sunday night.

I'll echo what others have said. Write reviews regardless of getting a . Plenty of people read your reviews without voting. Getting a PM from someone who says my review helped them choose to play a certain course is much more gratifying than a bunch of anonymous votes.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
Also note that the majority of people who use this site aren't members...
Is this true?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashzero View Post
Is this true?
yep... right now: 147 members and 243 guests

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/online.php
Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 312
We were all non-members once. Eventually the contributions of members who came before us inspired us to join.

It does also bear mentioning that some degree of those "guests" are likely members who aren't logged in.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 185
FWIW Dave, there's not much wrong with your reviews per se.

It's true about out-of-the-way smaller courses getting less attention than the big name courses, so unless you're doing things like hitting Idlewild, don't expect to garner 30 ups on one review.

Also, you're the reviewer that made me say "hey, I can do that!" so you must be doing something right.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 185
Also, people shouldn't necessarily "conform" to some sort of "ideal" review template or anything.

What makes this site so great is the peer review aspect. Everyone is approaching the game from different perspectives (all of which are equally valid imo) so a variety of review styles is more useful to a broader array of readers.

TL;DR: Just keep on keepin' on, Dave.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 78
Get wordy with it!

From my experience, short reviews dont get much notice. My buddy on here who is college educated writes very long & elaborate reviews (I like to call them short stories) & his reviews seem to get a lot of thumbs up!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
People shouldn't be writing reviews to get thumbs and TR medals. That's why the top courses have 8 kazillion reviews, and why we have 3600 courses in the U.S. alone (about 6 out of 7 listed) that don't have enough reviews to qualify for the top ten list. Show those courses some love (or anger and disgust when appropriate).
Just to clarify: in no way did I mean to imply one should write reviews for the most popular courses just to get get thumbs (nor did anyone accuse me of saying as much). I was simply pointing out the fact that reviews for popular courses generate more interest (and therefore more hits) than courses that aren't well known.

Additionally, it may look like some members primarily write reviews for big name courses, but keep in mind that when people travel, given the time they have, most people want to play the best courses in the area. Most of those courses have big names for a reason, hence, they get a lot more reviews than courses that are a rung or two lower on the ratings ladder.

I also think it's human nature to be more curious about reviews that are rated exceptionally low (below 2.0) or exceptionally higher (above 4.0). On a "thumbs per review basis," it wouldn't surprise me if reviews with rating at the extremes get more thumbs/review than reviews with ratings in the 2.5 - 3.5 range, regardless of a course's popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
From my experience, short reviews dont get much notice. My buddy on here who is college educated writes very long & elaborate reviews (I like to call them short stories) & his reviews seem to get a lot of thumbs up!
Extremely short reviews tend to get a response from me, especially if the rating is very high or very low. If a course is that good or bad, surely you can tell us more that "Course sucks" or "Best course I've ever played."

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-22-2013 at 10:34 AM.