Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 AM

Question Using different putting styles in the same round?

Hey Everyone this is my first forum post but I've read a lot of threads on here. My question is this, I use a push/pitch putt on the course(kind of like Will Schusteriks') and it works really well inside of 30 feet. However outside of this I can't even come close to making chains without it looking wobbly and uncontrolled. However I've started practicing a spin putt(kind of like Matt Orum's) and it gets more power and actually lets me have a chance of making 35-45 footers. So my question is if theirs anything wrong with having to different putting styles and using 2 different putting styles? Is it bad form and bad practice to? Does anyone else (Pro or otherwise) use 2 different styles? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
I believe all the pitch/push putters out there have to switch once they get beyond a certain point.
I use a hybrid of spin and pitch, but definitely use more wrist the further out I go.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 59
You can use different putting styles from different distances. I know Feldbeard uses a push/pitch style putt inside the circle but outside the circle he uses a step putt which is more of a spin than push putt. Climo uses a push/pitch putt inside the the circle & a jump putt outside of it. I spin putt inside the circle & use a step putt outside of it. So I'd recommend using the same style inside of the circle whenever possible to keep up with consistency, anything outside of the circle is a bonus anyways b/c you can do great in any tourney if your consistently hitting most of your putts inside of the circle. Just pick a style inside of the circle & stick with it. The only time I putt differently inside of the circle is when there is an obstacle hindering me from putting normally (like a tree), then I will change my stance (most of the time to a straddle putt).
Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 AM

I always use the same thing in the circle and always try to be consistent. Thanks for the advice and I think I'll keep sticking with my pitch/push inside the circle and spin outside the circle.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Even feldberad says that you cant really use push putting outside 40. This number will maybe increase to 45-50 with lots of practice, but after that, everybody spin putts.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by knave View Post
I believe all the pitch/push putters out there have to switch once they get beyond a certain point.
I use a hybrid of spin and pitch, but definitely use more wrist the further out I go.
Same here!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 56
I do. spush for most putts, spin for anything outside 40 and severe elevation putts.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 11
I was wondering this same thing after my last round because I could not putt it very well outside of about 35-40 feet. I needed to figure out how to get a lot of power behind my putt to have any chance at the basket.

I'm actually not entirely familiar with putting-style terminology so I am about to look up spin putting to see what I should do...