Old 08-02-2013, 03:54 AM

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Non PDGA players in their own division?

Just a thought that crossed my mind....in a PDGA tournament, would it make sense to have all non-PDGA members in one single "non-pdga member" division? I understand that it would reduce the field size in several divisions but could also bring a little more legitimacy to divisions and be an added benifit to Being a PDGA member. Maybe I am out in right field on this and am missing something that makes this idea absurd.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Interesting thought...

I would like to see more data about non-members playing in a tournament. Most that I have seen are either trying a tournament out before shelling out the money for a membership, or are just playing ina tourney at their local course because its there and have no intention of traveling to other events, thereby making the fifty bucks not worth it for them.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: LHBH
I understand the argument of the ability to choose a division as a membership perk (though I disagree with it), but what do you mean by "bring a little more legitimacy to divisions"? What exactly is legitimacy of a division? Is there a believe that non-members take away from the "legitimacy" of a division?

I don't really understand the need to change anything with regard to non-members. We charge them an extra $10 as a temporary membership. Once that's paid, they should be treated like any other player on the course. No extra perks, no extra restrictions.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Why would/should the PDGA do anything for golfers who don't support them or join their ranks?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Birdie Member

Are you seriously proposing that female juniors and the novice and rec ams be forced to compete head-to-head against non-current 1000-ranked pros?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 72
I've thought about this in the past.
I've had the idea that you allow non-PDGA to play in Open, Advanced or NON-PDGA Division. Maybe throw in a couple aged divisions.

Since most tournaments are multiple rounds, you could scatter the non-PDGA players into the other divisions after the first round based on score so they play with players on their skill level.

This would be a perfect opportunity for the pdga to offer limited memberships as prizes.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 97
Rather than differentiating PDGA / non PDGA, make it rated / unrated. The PDGA member, upon being rated, would earn the benefit of playing in a ratings protected environment.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
I pay my extra $10 dollars per tourney if it's sanctioned. Drop the extra fee and we can start playing Ranked/Non Ranked divisions.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Are you seriously proposing that female juniors and the novice and rec ams be forced to compete head-to-head against non-current 1000-ranked pros?
This.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobwilson View Post
I've thought about this in the past.
I've had the idea that you allow non-PDGA to play in Open, Advanced or NON-PDGA Division. Maybe throw in a couple aged divisions.

Since most tournaments are multiple rounds, you could scatter the non-PDGA players into the other divisions after the first round based on score so they play with players on their skill level.

This would be a perfect opportunity for the pdga to offer limited memberships as prizes.
Around here, a large share of non-PDGA members are fairly new to the sport, people who have been encouraged to give tournament play a try. Perhaps they'll like it, get hooked, and become members.

It's harder to talk someone into testing the tournament waters if you force them into divisions where they can't possibly compete.

Meanwhile, if you let anyone base their division on their first-round scores, you're inviting them to sandbag.