Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Eagle Member

I will do my best to make it to the tournament in honor of a tough competitor and one hell of a solid human being.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khao Pra View Post
tragic. RIP.
finding someone on the golf course with an epipen would have been a minor miracle, if there was also someone there that understood how to use it.
What do you mean by 'understood how to use it?' Don't you just pop the top and hit the thigh? Little off topic, but information about bee stings doesn't seem out of place.

This thread prompted me to put my epi pen in my bag/car. I learned last year while playing a round (Scrapyard in Charlotte) that I'm mildly alergic to bees. Two yellow jacket stings - one on ankle and one on ear. Drove home, but felt very anxious, my palms and bottoms of my feet started to itch, and then hives on the backs of my arms and on my thighs. Had an epi pen for my wife and she stuck me with it. Those things work wonders.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradus View Post
What do you mean by 'understood how to use it?' Don't you just pop the top and hit the thigh? Little off topic, but information about bee stings doesn't seem out of place.

This thread prompted me to put my epi pen in my bag/car. I learned last year while playing a round (Scrapyard in Charlotte) that I'm mildly alergic to bees. Two yellow jacket stings - one on ankle and one on ear. Drove home, but felt very anxious, my palms and bottoms of my feet started to itch, and then hives on the backs of my arms and on my thighs. Had an epi pen for my wife and she stuck me with it. Those things work wonders.
yes, sort of. the average person isn't trained nor knowledgeable regarding intra muscular or subcutaneous injections and the specific locations for them, now put them under the pressure of a real life situation and it's not so easy to perform when a life is hanging in the balance. benadryl is very cheap, easy to understand and administer and will likely buy enough time for the sting victim to get proper care. benadryl has saved my life when my epipen was not available. the average person can't go out and buy an epipen but they can buy benadryl (or another anti histamine) and add it to their bag, very lightweight, cheap and effective.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 77
Wow this is terrible. Very sad. Has this got any media coverage? Is there a news article from the home town that someone can link to?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 186
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khao Pra View Post
yes, sort of. the average person isn't trained nor knowledgeable regarding intra muscular or subcutaneous injections and the specific locations for them, now put them under the pressure of a real life situation and it's not so easy to perform when a life is hanging in the balance. benadryl is very cheap, easy to understand and administer and will likely buy enough time for the sting victim to get proper care. benadryl has saved my life when my epipen was not available. the average person can't go out and buy an epipen but they can buy benadryl (or another anti histamine) and add it to their bag, very lightweight, cheap and effective.
Good post. Benedryl is an effective temporary treatment for the symptoms of an allergic reaction. So is Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra....I carry this in my bag all the time and have given it away to others on several occasions.
It should be cautioned that both antihistimines and epi pens are temporary measures in the treatment of the symptoms. Benedryl actually will have a longer lasting effect. In both situations, seeking immediate medical attention, for when the medications wear off, is vital. The allergic reaction will almost certainly outlast an epi pen and soon leave you in the same dire circumstances as when the sting occured.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Birdie Member

Stoney was a great guy. Tournaments around here wont be the same without him.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 65
I had a pretty bad reaction one time on the course and ran and grabbed some benedryl from a nearby 7-11 ASAP. Broke out in hives, swollen face and itchy all over. Never went to my throat though. Really sad for him and his family.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHFH
Does anyone know if a person can send a donation and who to send it to?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 39
This is the all I know so far:
I have asked about hole sponsorship after receiving this message and hope for a response soon.
Thanx to all of VIP for asking.

Quote:
Quote:
Shawn,sorry it took so long to get back to you,but here's the info.

Donations can be sent to:
Kim Stonestreet
c/o James graham
1717 Forian Dr. NW
Canton OH.44709

Kim asked James to handle donations and such,any donations to the family can be addressed to kim, and james will forward it to her,disc donations can just be sent to james without kims name.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your kind act my friend.
Quote:

Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
I have heard it might not be a bee sting but rather pre-existing conditions he was already dealing with.

Also I can vouch for James, he's a very stand up guy.