Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Dealing with knee pain.

I could use some suggestions on how to make my knee pain not as bad. I had to quit rotating on my heel because of the pain and now I'm rotating on the ball of my foot instead. If I don't concentrate I'll accidently go back to rotating on my heel and the pain starts again.

I've been taking Aleve and it's been helping pretty good. I've also been riding my Exercise Bicycle and it's been helping too.

Do you guys know of anything else I could do to help strengthen my knee?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 104
Squats
All variations of squats improve hip and torso stability as well as strength in your knees and other lower body joints. To do a basic squat, extend your arms in front of your chest, and stand with your legs about shoulder-width apart. Inhale and squat down as low as you can with your buttocks moving past your knee level. Keep your torso upright and your knees and feet pointing forward. Exhale and stand straight up without moving your spine. Perform two to three sets of six to 10 reps. You can also do this exercise with a barbell held in front of you near your collarbone, with your arms over your head, or with a dumbbell held in each hand just over your shoulders.

Lunges
The lunge can help you determine if one side of your hip and leg is stronger or more coordinated than the other side. Stand with your legs together and step forward with your left foot. Lower your body down until your right knee gently touches the ground. Keep your torso upright. Exhale and push yourself back to the starting position with your left foot without moving your spine. Perform two to three sets of five to eight reps per leg.

Step-ups
This exercise is similar to the lunge except that you move from a lower position to a higher position. Use a sturdy platform, such as a picnic bench or a stack of aerobic steps that reaches as high as your knees for this exercise. Step on top of the platform with your left foot, and push yourself up on top of it. Extend your right leg behind you slightly, and maintain a tall posture as you hold this position for one second. Lower your right foot to the ground, and put your left foot on the ground. Perform two to three sets of six to 10 sets per leg.

Expert Insight:
Physical therapist Gray Cook, author of "Movement," states that optimal ankle and hip mobility will improve knee strength and stability because it eliminates or reduces compensation in your knees when you move. For example, if your ankles are stiff and cannot properly move well when you walk or run, your knees will compensate by turning and rolling when you move or change directions. This can cause tendonitis, ligament tears and strains, and arthritis in your knees.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...#ixzz2ZIwN6Gsa
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

That's probably what it is man.

I got kind of lazy once Disc Golf came around and I haven't worked out as much. I was doing Zone Progression training and Insanity before disc Golf season came into full swing,now I may workout 2 times every 2 weeks lol
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 62
Knee Brace helps me. Can't play without it.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 1
What did your Dr say the problem is?
How did your Dr answer your question?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
It would certainly help to know what's actually wrong with the knee.

I've suffered from torn meniscus, arthritis, and tight hamstrings. The solutions are surgery, profanity, and stretching.

For myself, I endured increasingly severe knee pain for many years before finding it was in the hamstrings, and stretching provided 70% relief. It would have provided 100% relief if I'd been more diligent about it.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
Yeah, what type of knee pain, inside, outside, patella...etc. Stretching typically helps. I'd also suggest checking your mechanics, posture and balance during the throw because if those are off it will lead to injuries easier.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kenny View Post
Excellent post.

To the O.P., if there's structural damage and you try to fix it yourself with online advice, down the road you may really really really regret it.

(The rest of us won't regret it, nearly as much)
Old 07-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kenny View Post
Step 1. What is wrong.
Step 2. How to fix it.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Banned

Well I don't go to the doctor. I know I'm stubborn.

It's on the outside of my knee. Whenever it does start to hurt bending down and getting back up causes me to limp around for a bit before it loosens back up.

I've also got a messed up wrist,but I think it's carpal tunnel setting in. It stinks getting older.