Disc Golf Store
Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Around these parts you may not have the luxury of a 5x12 concrete pad to tee off of and the fairways often really rough terrain. Having a strong standstill or one-step throw enables you to walk up to these tees or lies with confidence.

I know most areas have better tees than the courses I frequent, but I know that sh*tty lies and poor footing are universal!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
FWIW, I find it's easiest to start with one step to help you get the weight shift started. Once you get the feel for what that shift feels like and where your weight should be at the hit you can do it from a standstill much easier.
I guess that's what I'm saying; a one step is easier to do right, thus it's a better training tool.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Eagle Member

as a RHFH thrower, I prefer the accuracy and control that i get from a standstill throw. if i do a run up i tend to step slightly to the left at times and throw wildly to the left of my mark. i'm good for about 300', give or take, from a standstill
Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Individual abilities do not necessarily prove or disprove something, it may just be an indication of needing practice

Watch the fourth drive in this video. Weight transfer is obvious, though I'm flicking from a standstill.
At the same time, you having a weight shift from a standstill doesn't prove that a standstill teaches a weight shift better than a drop step. It may just be an indication of natural ability

I'm not sure what I'm doing now is right, but it feels more right; and it feels like it'd be rough trying to do it with both feet planted.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it, but I know a few people ask "how do I work my body around the disc from a standstill?"

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 07-29-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
From a standstill one must learn how to use a proper backswing which is part of weight shift. In order to get the proper backswing though one must have a proper hit point/address. Also lifting the front heel in the backswing like Ben Hogan and many golfers is sufficient weight shift.

When one is using an x-step working around the disc, it's still just a backswing but the disc doesn't really move back because you are moving forward. Most poor throwers have no semblance of a backswing or a hit point. Working around the disc will often demonstrate to that thrower how far their positioning and timing are off though.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
I guess that's what I'm saying; a one step is easier to do right, thus it's a better training tool.
Yeah, but the one step helps you learn the stationary shot, which is also pretty useful and helpful. It just might not be the absolute first thing you get right.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Stand and deliver!

I throw basically everything but drives from a standstill...and even short drivers (especially with a putter) are generally from a standstill as well. I'm way more accurate that way (as MikeC said...of course he's right again.)
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 21
I cut out my x-step and threw an entire round from a standstill. End result was significant distance improvement and accuracy. Had my best round ever. Cutting out the run-up/x-step made it possible to work on not rounding out my throw and actually feeling the hit point.

Significant distance increase was about fifty feet on drivers and about twenty feet on mids and putters. As I was walking past where my drives usually land I was thinking I may never x-step again.

edit: Didn't want to start a thread and this was exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited by smokfraglerock; 09-19-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI

Will Talks about weight shift in a standstill throw around 2:44 The slow mo shots are great for seeing the shift. I too found the one step easier but now I use standstills on any hole I have an approach. So accurate it's silly.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
I am teaching my 8 year old daughter to play and the way I have her starting is by stepping into her shot. However, I am trying to show her that the step is merely a method of transferring weight, which is also doable without stepping.

So basically the step shot is more of a training method to gain a weight shift, and once you learn the weight shift, you probably won't need it.