Disc Golf Store
Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
2 Players, 135g and 175g, drives.

Both players can throw 320ft+.

Player 1 throws 135g plastic, player 2 throws 175g plastic.

They switch discs and throw. Player 1 flips to the left, maxes out at 250. Player 2 over turns the disc and also maxes out at 250.

Because I use lighter plastic, the above scenario has played out for real several times as other players ask "wow...can I try that light disc?". I say sure, you throw mine, I'll throw yours, etc ,etc. Every time the same thing, mine go left and die, theirs go right and die.

yah..I know the reason...I have too little power, they have too much. lol..

So I'm wondering...if those players who throw as far as I do using heavier discs, if they used lighter plastic and dialed it in, would they ultimately throw much further?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 8
David WIggings Jr holds the disc golf distance record using a 134g Champion Blizzard Boss. So.... im not a physics expert or disc golf expert but i would say yes. Overall pure distance a lighter disc should fly further than a max weight disc.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 16
i throw both blizzards and max weight plastic. i throw heavier plastic farther actually. my blizz boss is my goto driver but max distance i throw a 171g champ tern.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
I could see that happening, even though my experience is limited. A few months into playing I bought a 150 Valkyrie and soon found I was turning it over badly. A few more months passed and my experience with different discs along with somewhat improved form prompted me to play with it again. Wow what a difference. Once I taught myself to throw it, I was getting out 50 feet further than anything else I threw.

After losing a really beat Champ Teebird that I loved, and being disappointed that my new Teebird was too overstable for me, I bought one in 150g Star plastic. Wow again. Just what I was looking for, dead straight with some nice fade at the end .........and LONG!!! (for me).

I think most pros throw max weight for the consistency as it rips out of their hand. Of course they have the arm for it too. I will probably stay with heavier mids (I have 167 to 180g mids) for that consistency, but I'm probably going to continue experimenting with lighter drivers. I don't know if I'll go as low as the 130s though, especially as well as the 150s are working for me.

Curtis
Old 07-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Par Member

I never tried those low weights because I'm afraid they don't work at all in wind (which we have plenty of here). How are your experiences with that? Or is it just learning and knowing your discs?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 80
Blizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomte View Post
I never tried those low weights because I'm afraid they don't work at all in wind (which we have plenty of here). How are your experiences with that? Or is it just learning and knowing your discs?
I have a 156g Blizz Ape that I use to throw into headwinds. The lower weight helps me throw a bit faster to get it out some distance and the Ape is OS enough to carry straight for 300 or so before hyzering out for me. If it's a huge head wind I have to use my max wt teedevil but lose some distance.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
I'm from Colorado and we get some nice hard wind here. I've thrown my 153g Blizzard Destroyer into really strong headwinds and its handled fine. Just throw a stable disc with hyzer into headwinds. If you want to thrown light weights then keep a really stable over stable driver in your bag at a light weight for those windy days.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 9
The light discs are good for distance if you throw with the wind howling over your left shoulder and put it up on an anhyzer angle to catch the wind and turn it into a kite. The lighter it is, the farther the wind blows it.

For normal play, lightweight discs seem to drop out of the air earlier than their heavier counterparts to me. It looks like they just give up and kind of flutter to the ground rather than penetrating forward when fading. They are great for players with less arm speed though. My buddy did well with the Boss I gave him until he lost it.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 80
Light Weight Stuff

Quote:
It's also nice for those who are average strength to pick up a max distance mold and throw it correctly - because they can get the proper speed on it. I think almost all of us had the early experience of getting a mad d driver and going "Man, I REALLY need to overcompensate for this thing" and look ridiculous trying to throw from above the shoulder making huge S curves, and then wondering why my whole body hurts when I'm done playing 18...

I have 2 blizzards - the Ape for moderate headwinds that I can comfortably throw straight into, and a blizz Krait that is very flippy that I throw in total tailwinds for my biggest distance. The rest are standard weight. I thought the blizzard thing was gonna just take over, but we're finding that they don't carry forward as well as previous others have pointed out.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
With my Valkyrie there was definitely a learning curve in figuring out how to make it do its thing. Although I think wind fighting ability has more to do with the disc than the weight, I still have some experimenting to do.

The 150 DX Valkyrie is definitely a downwind or no wind disc for me, but I don't have a heavier Valkyrie or one in premium plastic to compare it to. ANY headwind and it will turn too much even if I hyzer flip it. So far the 150 Star Teebird is more wind resistant, but I haven't thrown it into more than a 5 to 10 mph headwind. If it doesn't work in stronger winds I have a 166 Star and a 175 Champ Teebird I can add to my bag. I will know more once I've thrown all of them in different wind conditions.

Half the fun of disc golf for me is exploring what different discs do. Of course I understand your trepidation because if the lightweight discs don't work for you they could be more difficult to unload than more mainstream weights.

Curtis