Disc Golf Center

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Pro or Advanced?
Pro 29 24.17%
Advanced 45 37.50%
Hot Cheetos 46 38.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2013, 01:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Should i play Open?

So i entered a Non-sanction 1 day tourney last weekend. My rating is 954 but i decided last minute to give Open a try (first time). There were ,i think , 21 pros and most were rated higher than me. I played pretty solid but made my usual "dumb" mistakes. To my suprise i finished in 4th place! It was a great feeling but im not sure if it was just a fluke. I have been going through injuries and havnt played much this year.

My question: The next tourney i play will be the state championship. Im not sure what division to play in. So im gonna put up a poll to decide.

Advanced or Pro? Lets get a vote and some opinions. Put a 20 day limit on the poll.

Last edited by Emoney; 07-29-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 59
I voted Hot Cheetos b/c them s***s are delicious. I'd say you'd have a better chance of winning/placing higher if you don't play open. I'm not saying your a bad player or anything like that I think, (in general) people have a better time when they place higher than if they get destroyed. There is no guarantee you'll even do good in advanced & you said you haven't played/practieda ton this year so I'd say just see how advanced goes & if after the tourney you feel like a bagger then move on up to open. There's always another tourney to go to open & you don't have to rush it.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 102
It all depends on the competition in your area I would say. If your in places such as California, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Texas, Florida you will need to be shooting 990 or so average to cash. Rating isnt everything but at the same time if your not able to shoot those types of rounds you will not be able to win long term.

I played a non sanctioned event today at a local course. I play open for leagues and it is ran by our LD. Problem being is I have cashed in leagues twice this year shooting well under par but at the same time I have had some really poor recent showings at leagues shooting between +1 to +5 my last 6 weeks. I was looking to play advanced but was placed in open without even questioning me. In the end tied for 10th of 12 open players. My main goal was to move up at the leagues because I was getting anywhere from 2nd to 4th every week the entire year and felt even if I missed alot of holes I would still place every week
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
You're rating isn't that high. Play MA1.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
I voted advanced. Maybe play open in small tourneys, but not for a state championship (not yet). Once you're totally healthy and have placed top 3 at MA1 at sanctioned events, then move up.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
I voted pro. You have the desire to go pro, do it. You'll learn a ton by playing open. If you are even every once in a while finishing in the top 5, then your rating doesn't matter. Each part of the country you can compete in open at a different rating level and be at all successful.

Just realize you will not win much, if ever for a while, but you will learn a ton. As long as your attitude is solid, you'll be better as result of playing open.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Often times, the line difference between advanced and pro is consistency. Many advanced players have the skills to hang with open players on a good day. The problem is, there are also bad days. Stick to advanced where you know you can compete consistently.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 88
Advanced...

To me, rating screams Advanced. I would only play Open with a 954 rating in C-Tiers...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
If your goal is to get to where you can play, and compete, in Open, play Open. If you want to guarantee that you'll cash, play Advanced.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 57
So hot cheetos has the early lead, they are delicious. Little background on that tourney last weekend. I played the course blind (never seen it before) and i managed to shoot -12. It was a shorter midrange type tourney, used a buzzz alot. I have about 400-430ft of power with accuracy. I can get in a "lights out" putting spree at times and my midrange and approach game is tight. My only downfall is injury (back issues) and not being able to play enough.I have never "peaked" in a tourney yet, as in, played my very best. I have 1 round rated 1005, which was an AM only tourney.

I feel like im guarenteed to cash in AM1 unless something catastrophic happens. I honestly feel like a Open player but i dont play enough tourneys for the consistency. Lets get some more votes!