Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I don't see what the big inconvenience is to a TD if someone quits mid round.
The bigger inconvenience is to the other competitors on the card, and also the card(s) the remaining players have to join . Especially at a doubles tournament where there's likely only 2 teams on a card.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamerican View Post
I don't think the 888 is a sufficient deterrent to ratings manipulation and it doesn't seem to be that prevalent of a problem.

Judging from what most TD's in here are saying, it is rarely being used for what it is intended to do. It looks as if they are applying it to people who really don't care about their ratings enough to stop their behavior.
I would say it is rarely being used AT ALL at this point. I feel like it needs to be said again...this code was introduced on January 3 of this year. We're talking about 7.5 months worth of events played so far (1029 events through last Sunday). How many times do people think the 888 code has been actually (as in, not erroneously then corrected) applied in those 7.5 months? What number would that have to be for it to be "too much" or conversely, to justify the need for it?

I asked earlier, I'll ask again more generally, have there actually been any instances of 888 being applied officially thus far? I haven't personally seen any. Only mentions of it I've seen are Jen's false alarm and the reason this thread was started in the first place (which also turned out to not be an 888 situation). I guess what I'm getting at is what is leading people to believe that the code is being misused or abused already? From my perspective, we don't know that it has been used at all, let alone improperly or incorrectly so.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 58
I can say for certain that some official results have 888 recorded.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
So far you've given one example, and in that case the player didn't end up with an 888 after a brief chat with the TD.

If you haven't been a TD, I don't think it's fair to say it's an insignificant problem, it causes extra time and hassle for the TD and it's just plain rude. Obviously there are times when circumstances out of your control come up, but again, it's not a permanent thing, the TD can replace that with 999 if you give them a good reason.
Yeah, I don't get that at all. If it's a valid reason to leave, then that information can be communicated to the TD, right? Is that so hard?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

I asked earlier, I'll ask again more generally, have there actually been any instances of 888 being applied officially thus far? I haven't personally seen any. Only mentions of it I've seen are Jen's false alarm and the reason this thread was started in the first place (which also turned out to not be an 888 situation). I guess what I'm getting at is what is leading people to believe that the code is being misused or abused already? From my perspective, we don't know that it has been used at all, let alone improperly or incorrectly so.
Someone posted this link earlier in the thread.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/100319

Look at Advanced Masters. Two people didn't show up the 2nd day of a tournament and both got 888's. Clearly, the guy who doesn't have a rating and doesn't have any other tournaments played isn't trying to manipulate his rating.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 134
Quote:

Look at Advanced Masters. Two people didn't show up the 2nd day of a tournament and both got 888's. Clearly, the guy who doesn't have a rating and doesn't have any other tournaments played isn't trying to manipulate his rating.
based off comments by a few others since i posted that. my guess is that it is not official until it has been rolled in the ratings update. so i will be watching to see if those stick or not.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Quote:

I think you may have missed the posts where it was clarified that there are two reasons for applying an 888. One is for the ratings manipulation you're talking about. The other is for no showing to a round without notifying the TD, causing extra time and hassle to rearrange cards. Perhaps those 888s you're looking at are an example of the latter.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

Unofficial results so we'll see if they stick when the results are turned in. If the 888s are for no-showing the second day without any notice, then it is within the acceptable uses of 888.

Ratings Manipulation Addressed, paragraph 6:
Quote:
Although not directly related to ratings manipulation, the 888 code can also be applied to players who DNF without giving the TD sufficient notice they would not be showing up for the next round. "Sufficient notice" is defined as at least 15 minutes prior to tee off assignment time. Players who DNF without such notice will be reported as an 888 code by the TD.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Unofficial results so we'll see if they stick when the results are turned in. If the 888s are for no-showing the second day without any notice, then it is within the acceptable uses of 888.
another thing i would like to add. and to stir the pot a little.
all 4 players in question, they did not show for the last round, the course TD wrote them down as 999. so in the time between the scoreboard going from the course to tourn central to the website 888 was applied. my only guess is that the TD asked the course TD what happened and then made his decision but idk.

a question that just came to mind:
why would an organization that struggles to keep its members current feel that it is a good idea to make rules to punish those players?
seems counter productive to me.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
a question that just came to mind:
why would an organization that struggles to keep its members current feel that it is a good idea to make rules to punish those players?
seems counter productive to me.
Why do we have rules that punish players for throwing OB? Why do we have rules that punish players for throwing on the wrong side of a mandatory? Why do we have rules that punish players for damaging course property and foliage?

Perhaps because the rules are in place to prevent/curtail undesirable actions and behaviors. Ratings manipulation has been deemed an undesirable action. No showing with no notice during a tournament has been deemed an undesirable behavior.