Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2361 View Post
Guys, why don't you answer his question instead of trying to correct technique (Not saying yours is bad, no way to know) over the internet. Sheesh
Thank you! I'll never understand why people think it's up to them to tell other people what to throw. Way back when I turned 18 I earned the right to make my own choices.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe59 View Post
I would tend to agree with wayne that if you're not throwing 400 and still turning over the surge, you're not throwing it the way it was made to fly. And as wayne said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that because it appears that you just started playing. Shirfan brings up a good point too, do you throw backhand (normal) or forehand (sidearm/flick)?

That being said, if you want something that REALLY won't turn over.... get a Star Boss, they are intense and go a mile if you can throw it right -- I can only get enough snap on mine by throwing it sidearm.
I'm not really a fan of Star plastic or Innova for that fact.

I see you're in Wisconsin, where at? I'm in Oshkosh.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah I go to my pulse when i fear the surge will turnover.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprnva View Post
I love how so many people think that the length of time determines how good someone actually plays. I don't throw 400+, but I sure as hell turn over a Surge if I throw at 90% of my power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprnva View Post
Thank you! I'll never understand why people think it's up to them to tell other people what to throw. Way back when I turned 18 I earned the right to make my own choices.
Forgive me suprnva, I didn't realize I was talking to a pro, but generally speaking someone that hasn't played disc golf very long is not going to be over-powering a Surge enough to turn it over, and if it does turn over, it's usually a form issue. I should have known someone playing a sport less than half a year wouldn't need or want advice, silly me. I also throw the Surge around 380', but I rarely turn it over, and when I do, I don't blame the disc. I've also seen people bomb them 450'+ with a hyzer-flip without turning them over. I wasn't trying to tell you what or what not to throw, I was just sharing my views based on experiences I've personally had throwing it and from seeing other people throw the Surge. If you don't want to consider these factors then that's your prerogative, but there's no need to throw a hissy fit because I voiced my opinion.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 65
Send a message via AIM to shoe59
I'm in Green Bay. I usually play in kaukauna and appleton, and I've played O'Hauser which is pretty close to oshkosh i believe (menasha).

Discs are all preference I suppose, if you think you're gonna throw it farther than something else -- then you probably will. Although I honestly don't see how you could like ESP plastic and cringe at Star plastic, they're not all that different. Same with Z plastic and Champion plastic.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Get a heavyweight star max and I congratualte you on 400ft but I am also skeptical that your not throwing anhyzer off axis. I once thought I could handle a destroyer fresh out the bag but realized it was poor form and not superior skill!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Eagle Member

Have you played Silver Creek in Manitowoc? Check it out next summer if you haven't, it's pretty nice.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
Forgive me suprnva, I didn't realize I was talking to a pro, but generally speaking someone that hasn't played disc golf very long is not going to be over-powering a Surge enough to turn it over, and if it does turn over, it's usually a form issue. I should have known someone playing a sport less than half a year wouldn't need or want advice, silly me. I also throw the Surge around 380', but I rarely turn it over, and when I do, I don't blame the disc. I've also seen people bomb them 450'+ with a hyzer-flip without turning them over. I wasn't trying to tell you what or what not to throw, I was just sharing my views based on experiences I've personally had throwing it and from seeing other people throw the Surge. If you don't want to consider these factors then that's your prerogative, but there's no need to throw a hissy fit because I voiced my opinion.
That's right, your OPINION. You have 100% no idea who I am or how I play. The amount of time a person has been doing something doesn't mean they fit into the "standard" of other's that have been doing the same thing. That would be like saying that someone that has been playing disc golf for say, 30 years, would have to automatically play better than people like Nate Doss or Nikko Lacastro because they haven't even been alive that long! Please, stay out of my thread.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe59 View Post
Have you played Silver Creek in Manitowoc? Check it out next summer if you haven't, it's pretty nice.
I've only played in Appleton, Menasha and Oshkosh so far. Oh, and once in Beloit when I was there for a pool tournament. Next summer I plan on getting around the state as much as possible to play.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Eagle Member

other nice courses i've played in WI:

-Brown Deer and Dretzka (27 holes) in Milwaukee
-Token Creek ($5 pay to play), Heistand, and Elver Parks in or near Madison
-Tower Ridge (36 holes, cross country ski area with sweet elevation changes -- very hard), Eau Claire
-Standing Rocks and Yulga, Stevens Point