Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
My situation isn't quite as bad here. The city keeps the course mowed, but there is absolutely no one to work on the trimming/pruning of the trees on the course or upkeep of the tees/baskets. To clarify, it's a wooded course with horrible teepads, so those things really matter. The bad part is, the park staff doesn't really want other people working on it either. They're very reluctant to even talk to any of the club members and act like they don't care about the course at all. I would never do anything major without approval, but I just hate seeing a mediocre course that could be a great course with just some simple TLC.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobwilson View Post
Dude, Petersburg is only 20 minutes from Vincennes and Prides Creek is immaculate.

Also, you can make the trip to Evansville and Henderson. Lots happening down here.
I dont live in Vincennes, Its already a 20 minute drive for me to get to vincennes, Trust me its the only course reasonable to go to regularly. Ive checked into my options.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Most local municipalities are stretched pretty thin these days.

If you are the only one that uses the course man up and do some work to save the course.

My buddy lives walking distance from a course. He weed eats and blows off the pads weekly. We both pick up trash during play.

We all have to do our part.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
It's a big leap from doing coursework to mowing a course, particularly one where the grass is out of hand.

On the courses around Columbia, SC, our experience is similar to many others'. The parks department mows the grass, and weedeats some areas in multi-use parks. The local club---well, a very small contingent of the local club---does maintenance such as pruning, briar removal, erosion control, etc., with the park's permission. The parks department will sometimes assist, such as delivering mulch. We can use weedeaters, can't use chainsaws (usually), can't bring or hire heavy equipment. There is an area on a fairly new course that the parks people won't touch, and is overwhelming the volunteers.

But, trust a guy with a private course, mowing is a entirely different level of commitment that dwarfs all the other work. I'm not saying don't do it, just think long and hard before you commit that much time and machinery.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Par Member

^^^This. To those saying to just do it myself--You would have to see it to believe it. First of all, (and im not exagerrating this at all) I couldn't mow it even if I wanted to. The grass is too high to be mowed by any normal mower. I would have to weedeat the entire fairway on some holes, to even be able to attempt to mow it. Im not talking about 'oh the grass is a little grown up...' Im talking about around 2 foot high grass, going down the side of a steep hill (makes it even harder to see your throw considering your shooting down that hill...)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Eagle Member

contact a local goat farm
they get to go on a field trip
you get a manicured course
win-win
Old 08-17-2013, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.3
Courses Played: 79
"They" are usually responsible for course upkeep.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
"They" are usually responsible for course upkeep.
And I would be more than willing to being..."They". But the course is going to need actual heavy equipment to clean it up the first time. I have no problem maintaining it from that point.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountg View Post
And I would be more than willing to being..."They". But the course is going to need actual heavy equipment to clean it up the first time. I have no problem maintaining it from that point.
In your follow up email to the parks dept, make sure you tell them that.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Par Member

So it seems im just out of luck. Unless i just risk trying to do it myself and getting in trouble for it. For whatever reason the parks director wont speak with me. I have been told multiple channels to get the message through to them, I have called and left a message, twice last week, and once this morning. I have emailed the parks email, and the director himself. I sent a facebook message to the Parks official page, it shows it has been read with no response.