Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like they don't want the course there.

If the baskets are decent, I'll buy them for our new course. Maybe the city will respond to a sweet offer to take the baskets off their hands and pocket some cash.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
If they aren't decent, I'd make an offer.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Yeah, it sounds like the interest level from the city is low because the interest level in the DG course is low to almost non-existent. It would likely be different if the course was drawing quite a bit of traffic into the park, but since it isn't there isn't much point in the city trying to maintain it. I know locally, the courses in the STL area are hurting due to deep budget cuts. For the most part, they are maintained enough to be playable, but the park depts. can only do so much with so little.

Usually, course maintainence is a partnership between the park dept. and the local club. Work days are scheduled so that the club can manipulate the course without breaking any laws or stepping on anyones feet. And the park dept. takes responsibility for mowing.

Sorry to say it, but I think your course is dead unless you can get a considerable group of people interested in keeping it up. You might start looking for other outlets that would consider putting in a course, and persue that. The city would probably be interested in the sale of the existing baskets...
Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 4
Ah! Finally, I finally got through to a the guy, turns out some 'things were going down this morning and he had to come in late' We talked for a while about it, turns out THEY (the parks and rec dept) don't actually have the equipment to maintain it with how bad its gotten, so they are waiting for a few peices of equipment to come in to get rid of stumps and such, and since I have given the issue so much attention, he said they are doing some park renovations soon, and he would see if he couldn't spruce up the the disc golf course while he was at it. Victory!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 39
Nice, I look forward to seeing some pics of the renovations. Hopefully this can be a springboard to build interest in your community as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Good news. Always best to get the actual story before jumping to conclusions; you don't know what other issues they have on their plate.

Of course, you don't know that they will, or will be able to, come through. But if they do, afterwards I suggest you work with them to do some of the maintance (pruning, etc.) if they'll do the mowing. They'll likely be more helpful if you've got some sweat in it, yourself.

Parks Departments are inundated with special interests, each wanting their particular issue addressed immediately, but few willing to contribute.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 4
Well we talked about setting up a plan to work together on getting it into shape, and I mentioned trying to start a league/club once the park was finished and he seemed to be on board with supporting that. I definetly let him know id help with upkeep though.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 14
Fountg, Glad to hear things are looking up for you a little bit. Once the parks dept. gets the course in a some what reasonably playable condition might I suggest you try to do some PR work for the course on your own to draw up some interest which in turn would make the parks dept. more amiable and get you some more folks to play with and help maintain the course.

Organize a DG 'gathering' at the park. Doesn't need to be anything fancy or costly. Simply choose a date and block of time, place some fliers in the park and around town, especially in your local sporting goods or outdoor stores inviting people out to the park.

Bill it as a family friendly, meet and greet event for anyone with any interest in DG, open to all ages and experience levels. Invite people to bring a picnic lunch (but no alcohol, please) and enjoy a day in the park. If your local outdoor or sporting goods store(s) sell DG stuff they may be willing to help out with some kind of sponsorship or free-bees (discount coupons, Koozies with the store logo, etc.) for the event. This may help draw in more people to the park and to the store(s)... a win win for both parties.

Who knows there might be a bunch of people in your area in the same boat as you... they would like to play but can't find a nice place to play and no one to play with. All they need is someone to get them together and organized a bit.

Best of luck.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 14
Fountg, I must have been typing while you were posting your last response. Sounds like things are starring to come together, keep the ball rolling.. er, disc flying.

I had another thought with finding help for the initial clean up effort. I don't know if you go to church or not but I know the youth in my church are always looking for community service/outreach projects to do in our area. This may be another option for you.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
...I know the youth in my church are always looking for community service/outreach projects to do in our area. This may be another option for you.
The local Boy Scouts/Eagle Scouts could be another avenue of labor as well.