Disc Golf Store
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
A 150g Leopard (I prefer Champion plastic) too.

Welcome.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM

Courses Played: 2
I'm also very new to this game and welcome to the addiction. I will second the comments on get a bag BIGGER than you think, I'm up to 15 discs in a very short time. Lost my first disc a couple of weeks ago (Skeeter), sad time I must say BUT more reason to go get more discs. LOL I have found the 150g Leopard as a great driver and a Mako for my midrange and an Aviar as my putter. Went and bought 6 used Leopards and I sling them every chance I get on my 2 acres I live on. Practice is what it is all about and have went from 200 feet throws that were horrible to 250 foot throws that are getting real consistent accuracy wise. I have learned a lot from this site and also youtube to help my technique.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Welcome...

You have no idea what's in store for you... it's crazy fun.

I'll be a little more generic in my advise... you'll want to start with "understable" discs which is to say those that tend to go the opposite direction of the normal fade to left for right handers or fade to the right for lefties.

These are usually marked with NEGATIVE numbers in the 3rd position on many discs. These will "turn over" when thrown hard or simply fly straighter for those starting out without much power. As you get better, you'll move away from these to more "stable" discs.

So yeah, Leopards, Kites, Roadrunners from Innova will do you well and Comets, Stratus, Buzz will suffice for Discraft which is usually all you'll find at local stores. If you buy online, then there are tons of other options...
Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 37
Welcome and enjoy!

I'd suggest that you go to the shop just to pick their brain and feel all the different molds they have available. Being new to the sport I wouldn't suggest starting with really wide rimmed, hard to control discs. After you find the discs that feel good in your hand (especially a putter), come back to the DGCR Market Place forum and buy a new/used disc from a fellow member at a greatly reduced price. Used discs are better than new IMO. New discs always break in and season into a different flight pattern and if in better plastics that they will maintain those flight characteristics for a long time. Buying retail discs is like buying a new car where the car is instantly worth thousands less the second you drive it off the lot.

Also, check out Disc Golf Review forum for excellent technique and top notch forum advice as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 51
Welcome to the greatest addiction in the world.

Guard your wallet well. Its way too much fun buying new discs.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Since I was introduced a couple weeks ago, I've been burning up the forum reading different stuff and watching the videos on the tube. Have "learned" quite a bit from here, but I know in reality the only way to really "learn" is to get out there and huk. As far as the discs I bought goes like this.. 4 for $15 Disccraft Z Put'r. Beast, Starfire and a Destroyer. From what I've researched on my own, the Destroyer should come outta my bag right now. It's way above my skill level. The beast and Starfire are the closest to my skill level, but may be a bit out of reach yet. I appreciate the advise everyone has given me. Hope to keep learning and possibly seeing some of you out on the course.

Edit: My bag is just an fishing tackle bag that discs fit perfectly in. Disc only I could prolly fit 12-15 in it. It works for now. Holds my few discs and a couple drinks.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.R HukkinStuff View Post
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Since I was introduced a couple weeks ago, I've been burning up the forum reading different stuff and watching the videos on the tube. Have "learned" quite a bit from here, but I know in reality the only way to really "learn" is to get out there and huk. As far as the discs I bought goes like this.. 4 for $15 Disccraft Z Put'r. Beast, Starfire and a Destroyer. From what I've researched on my own, the Destroyer should come outta my bag right now. It's way above my skill level. The beast and Starfire are the closest to my skill level, but may be a bit out of reach yet. I appreciate the advise everyone has given me. Hope to keep learning and possibly seeing some of you out on the course.

Edit: My bag is just an fishing tackle bag that discs fit perfectly in. Disc only I could prolly fit 12-15 in it. It works for now. Holds my few discs and a couple drinks.
The starfire is going to be pretty overstable for you, and it is a bit fast... it will hook hard on you. The beast is a bit fast for you too. I'd recommend getting a leopard (like others have recommended) and a mid like a buzzz or comet.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 12
I'm so new to the sport that my disc haven't even arrived yet so I won't try to give a bunch advise other than keep picking the brains of the guys here with experience and check out the great how to videos on the DGA web site. Oh, and I found that the www.DiscGolfCenter.com site is a great resource to research and compare characteristics of different disc. They also are a sponsors of this site and great folks to deal with.

Have fun.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgar View Post
When you buy your fist disc bag, buy one bigger than you think you'll need, trust me on this one.. those plastic disc will accumulate faster than you think.

I wish someone would have told me this when I bought my first bag...

I now have to carry my bag with 13 discs and then I have 9 others I carry in my Jeep as random swap outs or depending on the course... definitely need to upgrade the bag..