Old 08-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 98
Getting 500' is way different then getting 600', the amount of speed imparted on a disc is almost double for that distance. Then when you look at 700-800' you are talking a whole other level which can only be attained with alot of wind. Its just physics.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Awhile back I tried to do some research on Stokely. Whatever happened to him? Seems like he just kind of fell of the earth.
Scott Stokely developed a major back problem that made him quit disc golf. I think he tried to play in a few tournaments within the past 5 years or so but it was really hard on him physically and mentally.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
I'm talking about actual distance competitions at big events. There have been several instances recently where the wind was a headwind, or calm, and the winning distances are all well over 500. Even if the measurements are off, I don't think they're off by 50 feet or more.
wasnt the worlds drive contest into a headwind this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringDgLover View Post
Getting 500' is way different then getting 600', the amount of speed imparted on a disc is almost double for that distance. Then when you look at 700-800' you are talking a whole other level which can only be attained with alot of wind. Its just physics.
but Stokley did almost 700' with 8-10 mph...thats not "alot" of wind....so what say you?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringDgLover View Post
Sandstroms throw was also super windy. All major distance records have been set in high winds. Thats why the world indoor record is only 471' and has stood for about 20 years.
try finding an indoor area that has 471' of flat open space. youre talking a military style hangar.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Par Member

The 2000 USDGC had Scott in the final round, they showed his bag and he was carrying 4 discs max. On the 17th hole he throws a 500' drive with an X2 or some other overstable disc, makes you wonder what he could have done with some of the modern discs.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 9
Watched a clinic video that had Feldberg talking about going to an event with Philo and Gurthie in Barbados (guessing it was to introduce the sport there), and he claimed Gurthie got over 900-950ft, if it had been a sanctioned event with sponsors he would hold the record now.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by disctildeath View Post
Watched a clinic video that had Feldberg talking about going to an event with Philo and Gurthie in Barbados (guessing it was to introduce the sport there), and he claimed Gurthie got over 900-950ft, if it had been a sanctioned event with sponsors he would hold the record now.
A couple of months ago, I asked GG about this throw and how it was measured. They used Google Earth to measure from where it was thrown to the street where a kid said he picked it up. That's not the most reliable method I can think of =-) He said he was pretty sure it landed on that street, but agreed that there's room for doubt.

I don't doubt that GG can beat the record in the next couple of Distance competitions, however.

BTW a sanctioned event makes no difference. It's not a disc golf record, it's a WFDF record.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Awhile back I tried to do some research on Stokely. Whatever happened to him? Seems like he just kind of fell of the earth.
Last I heard, he was living in Ft. Collins, Colorado, and had a house just off a small 9 hole course at an elementary school up there. Apparently, he didn't really play much for a while, due to that injury, but it sounds like maybe he's able to give it another go now. Good for him.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 82
Many of today's top pros still mention Scott at clinics. He's the man in their minds, and it's clear that he always will be.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 740
Time to post the crazy Stokely water skip shot; if anyone has it.