Disc Golf Store

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What to do?
Respect your partner if you're playing for cash, keep it reasonable. 95 84.82%
Have another!!! 13 11.61%
Ugh, another poll? 1 0.89%
Did you search before posting a new thread? 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Another stupid poll

Situation arose at random dubs last night.

Longtime area golfer gets paired with a partier, who quickly gets hammered* along with the other team on the card. He's pissed the entire round, and even though he's tied for last cash, leaves his partner, who is forced to play off without him.

*Hammered - The other card were both 950+ rated local pros. Tied for first. Both missed a 20' putt on the first hole of the playoff. Badly.

The question:

Is the old guy overreacting, or should the young buck have cut back some since they were playing for money?

Caveat:

Had they finished 2 strokes better, they would have taken 1st place outright.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
This is a tough question to answer without knowing ALL the facts....like: is drinking normally a thing that happens during your doubles? Is the drunkard a regular? Do the drunkard and the old salt know each other and, more importantly, get along normally? Were words exchanged before the blow-up?

But as a general rule, if you're playing for money, you need to take it pretty seriously...especially with a partner. I drink a lot when I play disc golf, but only during casual rounds. I never imbibe during any sort of competition...skins, bragging right, tourney, whatever. And I'm pretty outspoken about the other stuff during playing as well.

All in all, there are lots of ways to play the game. But if you are playing for that moolah, it's kind of outspoken that this is not the time to fart around and get schmamerred. Just my two cents.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 59
I think that drinking during casual rounds is completely fine but when it comes time to get the mula you should cut back a little on the consumption.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 174
I used to play a local weekly league around here. I wasn't a regular, but I've been making an appearance on/off for the past 6 years. I know everyone there. Last time I attended my partner and I were shooting really well, but not as hot as the other two guys on our card who literally birdied every hole you could get. We were only down by one stroke though, so game wasn't over. On the 16th hole my partner decides to take a smoke/drink break. They all proceed to pass around a joint while cracking open their beers. Next thing I know some kids pass by offering to sell shrooms. They all jump on the opportunity and get that too.

My partner and I are chasing one stroke with 3 holes left to go, and everyone is literally getting drunk and high for 15 minutes. I don't do either, and honestly don't care when others do it, but this just made no sense to me. Why not just hold off for 3 holes? I really wanted to chase that stroke down and win the thing. Anyway, we continue with birdies on 16 and 17. Hole 18 my drive goes OB and my partner just misses the fairway and goes into tall grass. We search for over 20 minutes for his disc as he gets belligerent and angry while the other guys are staring at the sky and laughing because the shrooms are starting to kick in. Eventually my partner gives up and doesn't even want to finish out the hole. I wasted my time and money. I haven't been back to that league since.

There have been many other instances where I drew partners with people that had getting drunk on their priority list right above winning leagues. Many times these are friends. Again, to each his own, but if you're going to drink I would appreciate it if you knew your limits. I'm counting on at least some help. I remember being really excited to draw a local pro for doubles when I was first starting out. He was so drunk he couldn't even stand behind the mini without stumbling over. It was a terrible experience.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 163
Assuming it's not against park or league rules, it's a drunkard's right to get hammered, but that doesn't make it right. It's a dubs league for cash. That means you have a teammate depending on you at least being in condition to pull whatever portion of your weight your skill level allows you to pull.

IMO - no different than showing up plastered for a beer league softball game and letting your team down cause you couldn't even come close to hitting slow pitch.

You wanna get wasted during a casual solo round or with friends that are OK with it (even if money's on the line): no problem.

Doing so in a random draw dubs league is just disrespectful to your partner. Dude has every right to be pissed.

I'd rather have a n00b (who at least tried) for a partner than a "skilled" player who got sh**faced.

$0.02
Old 08-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

i would keep the disc. finders keepers yanno. dont care about ink.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
i would keep the disc. finders keepers yanno. dont care about ink.
I hope your joking.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 12
Common sense says when playing for cash you hold down the boozing.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 10
i play in a monthly am tournament series here in germany. No doubles, no money on the line, just pride and bragging rights.
First beer gets opened when ALL the scores are in.
If someone would over shrooms or anything like this he would get a lifetime ban for that series.

Drinking beer on a casual round...why not..but when it matters, stay the f... clean and sober.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 39
Playing for cash in a league/tourney = stay sober and professional, but have some fun.

Playing a casual round w/ some friends = have fun.