Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What to do?
Respect your partner if you're playing for cash, keep it reasonable. 95 84.82%
Have another!!! 13 11.61%
Ugh, another poll? 1 0.89%
Did you search before posting a new thread? 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
You guys really make me want to crack a cold one right now. Stupid work.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
If you are playing league doubles to supplement your income, or are using the tourney as a chance to work out your frustration over your failure to make a mark in some other professional sport, good chance you are irritating me. Sloppy drunk is rude, but people are rude. If legal and not against league rules, it is his right. This old guy is the reason I do not play many leagues or tournaments. I am not into sloppy drunk while playing, mostly cause I have to drive home, but who am I to impede upon some other dude, trying to have his definition of fun. If you are so good and your partner stinks or is smashed, play better.
Completely agree with this. When I play dubs or trips, I generally prefer to have a more fun group and not get with one of the 5s, just because it's generally going to be less fun. If the old guy is clearly better, they're going to take most of his shots anyway, so why does it matter the condition of his partner?

Also, how much are you guys playing dubs for? Where I'm from, it's like $3-5, so it's not like he's out a ton of cash. Finish the entire round (playoff included) and don't come back the next time, because that's the risk you take during a random draw.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
Situation arose at random dubs last night.

Longtime area golfer gets paired with a partier, who quickly gets hammered* along with the other team on the card. He's pissed the entire round, and even though he's tied for last cash, leaves his partner, who is forced to play off without him.

*Hammered - The other card were both 950+ rated local pros. Tied for first. Both missed a 20' putt on the first hole of the playoff. Badly.

The question:

Is the old guy overreacting, or should the young buck have cut back some since they were playing for money?

Caveat:

Had they finished 2 strokes better, they would have taken 1st place outright.

Ob? We're you at parm?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoma1 View Post
Ob? We're you at parm?
Were damn autocorrect
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Eagle Member

I like to drink but rarely when I play. When I see my opponent smoking or drinking I smile because it generally means they are there to have fun and usually don't play as well as they are capable. I love it when other players in my division take a liquid lunch during a tourney.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I think it's because it has become MORE popular. Therefore allowing MORE people to be out and playing...also meaning that more chance for crappy people. In my experience DGers have been awesome, I'd say 1-2% are the ones to avoid.
this is spot on. the more people that play, the higher the number of douchebags that pick up the sport. Probably about the same percentage on the whole, but more total d-bags. which sucks but can not be avoided with the expansion of the sport, which pretty much everyone is in favor of
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 99
Disrespect begets Disrespect

Why should he finish the round? Is it required? Its his right to not play anymore at anytime. It's also the other persons right to get drunk. Our choices affect others.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 4
I would have just finished out the round, and either never came back, or quietly let whoever was in charge know I would like a different partner next time.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Dont play in random dubs events if you're expecting to not get paired with a drunk, partier, or noob.
If you get paired with another serious pro, consider it lucky. That way you dont get let down.

In this example, finish the round and dont play random partner dubs again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
. Next thing I know some kids pass by offering to sell shrooms. They all jump on the opportunity and get that too.

My partner and I are chasing one stroke with 3 holes left to go, and everyone is literally getting drunk and high for 15 minutes. I don't do either, and honestly don't care when others do it, but this just made no sense to me. Why not just hold off for 3 holes? I really wanted to chase that stroke down and win the thing. Anyway, we continue with birdies on 16 and 17. Hole 18 my drive goes OB and my partner just misses the fairway and goes into tall grass. We search for over 20 minutes for his disc as he gets belligerent and angry while the other guys are staring at the sky and laughing because the shrooms are starting to kick in. Eventually my partner gives up and doesn't even want to finish out the hole. I wasted my time and money. I haven't been back to that league since.
One of the best random dubs rounds Ive seen at my local course was played by a friend and his partner on shrooms during a glow round. -14.

Last edited by KDFrosty; 08-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 79
I'm gonna have a 'good' round no matter what!

If you have a bad round going being hammered makes it much easier to deal with! Not talking from personal experience mind you...
Leaving your partner before the game is over (playoffs are part of the game) is always in bad form!
You cant pick your partner in random draw doubles. I guess you could hope that you dont get that same drunk partner next time. But realize it could happen again so...
Some people play better drunk/stoned/etc. It sounds like the case here as the drunk guy was good enough to help get this team into a playoff for cash. Why leave at that point? Your not proving a point. You just look like the guy who skipped out on his partner!
When signing up to play random-draw doubles you should expect to get all kinds of different partners. Their skill & inebriation levels will vary widely (& wildly!).
Now you know!