Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 88
Ten days ago I was on our annual road trip, this time from Minneapolis to Justin Trails. I was able to sneak out a day early and wanted to hit up numerous smaller courses on the way, to rack up my course total. When I planned this extra day I was very ambitious, but I knew I could do it as long as I did not spend time looking for discs and or cared whether they were lost to water hazards.

I went all Lightning for ease of price and because they all float.

I packed in my NutSac bag:

1x Rubber Putter
2x #2 Driver
2x MX-1

I really got to know those discs well. For me, this trip was about the number of holes played, not necessarily how well I played those holes. However, by the last two courses on my schedule I just had to break out a bigger bag. I needed a solid mid (Z Nebula), two different stabilities in putters to cover a variety of approaches and drives (Ion and Judge), and I needed a big boy driver that did not immediately flip on me (Trespass).

I ended up packing:

Eclipse Soft Ion
Fuzion Judge
Z Nebula
Champion Glow Roadrunner
Champion TL
Lucid Trespass

That seemed to be enough to get by on courses I had never played before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
I've built a bag around travelling that is small enough for local courses without having to schlep around a ton of discs. The keys are mold minimalism and carrying duplicates in different stages of wear.

So a basic bag setup for me would be:

2 Aviar
2 Comets
2 Leos
2 Teebirds
1 Roc

Each mold that I commonly throw I have a back-up in case I lose a disc. The roc I don't throw enough to warrant a backup, as I mainly use it as a utility disc.

If I lose a disc on the road, no big deal. Sometimes I'll carry another junker Leo if it's a course with tons of water.

Nothing is worse than being in the middle of a 9-day roadtrip and losing a workhorse from your bag.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 117
3 - Putter, Roc (i.e. midrange), Driver.

If I wanted to go full minimal, I'd ditch the Roc. If I wanted to add one, I'd add a very overstable driver. That covers everything.

If you're suggesting more than that, I think you're over-thinking it. Just my opinion.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
I would personally bring 3.
A straight putter
A mid that you think can do everything
A stable/neutral driver that you think you can throw pretty far

This way, you will try all kinds of shots on your favorite discs. See their strengths/weaknesses early on, then buy/discard other discs as you go.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My basics list is

1 Putter
2 Midranges (slightly overstable & slightly understable)
3 Drivers (very overstable, slightly overstable, and slightly to fairly understable)

Everything else is for subtle advantage, with some doubt how much difference they actually make in my score. This includes specialty discs, and fairway drivers.

But if I find myself without one of my basic 6 needs in my bag, it leaves quite a hole in my game.
This is basically what i'd choose as well. I putt with pures which can double as slightly understable midrange, so my other two mids would be very overstable (zone or fresh hornet) and slightly overstable (truth or beat hornet). Then a fresh Qolf, Beat Solf, and beat Saint.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 816
Throwing Style: RHBH
When I travel by plane and can't take by full bag, all I take is a seasoned wizard, a seasoned roc, and a seasoned PD, and I can play just about any shot I need. Seasoned stable discs are great for shaping all kinds of different lines.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
3 - Putter, Roc (i.e. midrange), Driver.

If I wanted to go full minimal, I'd ditch the Roc. If I wanted to add one, I'd add a very overstable driver. That covers everything.

If you're suggesting more than that, I think you're over-thinking it. Just my opinion.
I agree with this if you include 2 caveats: you have a good FH and BH and/or the courses you are playing* have plenty of airspace to work your shot-shaping.

*The OP states the interest is in "putting a bag together to take anywhere"...so I guess this caveat is out.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
I could make do with a PA4, Zone, Warship, and Volt. I can't throw over 330 so a distance driver isn't really necessary for me.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 76
I regularly play Carroll Marty in Ames, IA with only three discs, and can definitely do it without the Roc, too. It is a shorter course, but it does offer elevation and left and right turning holes.
DX Roc- The few holes that require a longer drive than the KC Pro Aviar to birdie (275'+). Can be thrown on all lines.
KC Pro Aviar- All straight to hyzer drives under 275'
DX Aviar Putt and Approach- Straight to turnover drives, approaches and putts.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 113
Throwing Style: RHBH
Z Buzzz - putting
Ti Buzzz - midrange/fairway shots
Champ Viking - long fairway shots/drives off the tee/occasional RHFH shot

Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu-f-o View Post
I would personally bring 3.
A straight putter
A mid that you think can do everything
A stable/neutral driver that you think you can throw pretty far

This way, you will try all kinds of shots on your favorite discs. See their strengths/weaknesses early on, then buy/discard other discs as you go.
I like this idea, especially for someone starting out. I THINK it's the philosophy behind some of the beginners packs that the disc companies sell (if it's not, it should be). I know the Aviar/Shark/Leopard set I started with taught me a lot about how to shape lines and things like that.

I carry 13 right now -- one is a disc I rarely if ever use and will be selling soon, and one is there because I can't bear to part with it (everyone should have a DX Leopard in their bag). Out of those remaining 11 discs, I've got two sets of "twins" (2 soft Wizards and 2 medium Ridges), so 9 molds total. Out of my 4 remaining mids, I could get rid of two, so that leaves me with 7. I could probably get rid of one fairway driver, maybe two, so that brings it down even more:

Ridge/Wizard/Ibex/Hornet/Trak/Eagle would be my minimal setup right now. I could probably have an entirely Vibram bag, depending on how well I can throw the Lace and whether the Obex could replace my Hornet - figure the Ridge and Wizard are pretty similar, so I'd maybe go VP/Ridge for putters/approach discs.