Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 26
Inconsiderate league players

On Saturday a few of my friends and I went to play the new 18 that was put up here in Fargo, we had played it before and we try to keep a good pace as usual. None of us are in league or play in any tournaments and do not have any friends in the local "scene".

On hole 3 we come up on a group of people practicing for the state tourney. One of them is probably the most prominent disc golf supporter and organizer in the area. The reason I bring this up is because these people are the ones that should be looking to help the sport grow, as well as being people that understand proper etiquette on the course.

So I ask if we can play through (their group was obviously larger and slower and were still teeing off when we walked up) and the response I get from this person that I referred to earlier is "there's a group of 10 in front of us". Off the top of my head I'm thinking "Well, if they have proper course etiquette that won't be a problem."

We don't say anything, walk around them and skip 2 holes, see the group they were talking about and see that there are maybe 5 players in the group. Course was wide open after that. Basically this guy was lying and trying to get us to move to a different course.

This is not the first time that people who play seriously in our area act like they own the course. This time upset me more than others, simply because this isn't a group of casuals who don't know any better, it's a group of leaguers trying to intimidate us off of the course by holding us up. This was not a league night or event, they had no more right to be there than any of us.

Why is it in my area the people that should be helping the sport grow seem to be the biggest a-holes on the course? Am I alone or is this sense of entitlement common with league players?

My friends and I go out of our way to let smaller and slower groups through, because it's common sense and courtesy. It would be nice to get some back from those who know better.

/rant
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 106
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
On Saturday a few of my friends and I went to play the new 18 that was put up here in Fargo, we had played it before and we try to keep a good pace as usual. None of us are in league or play in any tournaments and do not have any friends in the local "scene".

On hole 3 we come up on a group of people practicing for the state tourney. One of them is probably the most prominent disc golf supporter and organizer in the area. The reason I bring this up is because these people are the ones that should be looking to help the sport grow, as well as being people that understand proper etiquette on the course.

So I ask if we can play through (their group was obviously larger and slower and were still teeing off when we walked up) and the response I get from this person that I referred to earlier is "there's a group of 10 in front of us". Off the top of my head I'm thinking "Well, if they have proper course etiquette that won't be a problem."

We don't say anything, walk around them and skip 2 holes, see the group they were talking about and see that there are maybe 5 players in the group. Course was wide open after that. Basically this guy was lying and trying to get us to move to a different course.

This is not the first time that people who play seriously in our area act like they own the course. This time upset me more than others, simply because this isn't a group of casuals who don't know any better, it's a group of leaguers trying to intimidate us off of the course by holding us up. This was not a league night or event, they had no more right to be there than any of us.

Why is it in my area the people that should be helping the sport grow seem to be the biggest a-holes on the course? Am I alone or is this sense of entitlement common with league players?

My friends and I go out of our way to let smaller and slower groups through, because it's common sense and courtesy. It would be nice to get some back from those who know better.

/rant
When you run a weekly it is frustrating trying to bring more people into the scene. That being said they should have let you pass. I'd let it slide until it happens again. We are not all like this, but most of us have a passion for the sport that is hard to understand. Keep at it, winter is coming grow a thicker skin.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
How long did they sit at the tee pad for? If the group in front of them just got off the hole and they threw right away how do you know you are faster than them. Now if you were catching up to them hole after hole I would understand.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 AM

Courses Played: 57
This is always a debatable topic. There are times I see a couple of people and insist that they pass. Others times, I don't want them to pass. So you said you were with a few friends, how many is a few? How many were in their, group? I personally think it's ridiculous when people play in huge groups, it literally holds up the whole course, and when you are in a huge group, why would you want to wait forever between your throws ya know? I think if you choose to play in a group of 6 or more people, you should be expecting to let most people play through. I usually play in no larger than 4 people. Sometimes if a course is super crowded, you can't let everyone faster than you pass through because you will never finish your round. If there is a small group of teenagers or casuals just coming through and hucking discs and not even playing seriously, then they can wait or skip a couple of holes for all I care. Maybe by getting stuck behind and watching us, they can see how to play the game and that some people take it serious.

Another thing that I personally do, is when I'm playing alone, which is usually throwing 2 or 3 drives and putts, and I come up on other players. I will usually just skip the hole they are on and go around them. I see a lot of people playing by themselves who will come up on a group and get impatient and just expect to play through a group, I think it would be easier for them to just skip the hole. If its thats serious for you, then you can always go back to it.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboy2222 View Post
Another thing that I personally do, is when I'm playing alone, which is usually throwing 2 or 3 drives and putts, and I come up on other players. I will usually just skip the hole they are on and go around them. I see a lot of people playing by themselves who will come up on a group and get impatient and just expect to play through a group, I think it would be easier for them to just skip the hole. If its thats serious for you, then you can always go back to it.
^
Winner. I've simply gone around people on many occasions.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
^ Glad to know I'm not the only one. Sometimes it's just easier to bounce ahead.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 7
Fargo?

Ha! I grew up in Fargo. Easy solution: Throw them in the wood chipper. Where is this course by the way? I want to play it next time I visit home.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePinchico View Post
When you run a weekly it is frustrating trying to bring more people into the scene. That being said they should have let you pass. I'd let it slide until it happens again. We are not all like this, but most of us have a passion for the sport that is hard to understand. Keep at it, winter is coming grow a thicker skin.
First I should say this was sort of an Et tu Brutus moment for me. We've had situations like this before, but the guy went out of his way to lie. He was trying to intimidate so the scrubs would leave. According to this websites calculator I threw a 949 on my last round in a 20mph wind. Just because we don't play league doesn't mean can't play or don't have a passion to get out and throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
How long did they sit at the tee pad for? If the group in front of them just got off the hole and they threw right away how do you know you are faster than them. Now if you were catching up to them hole after hole I would understand.
We had a group of 4 moving quickly, we literally follow the 30 sec rule, no mulligans. The group was together broken up into two groups of 5 as far as I could tell. Again it was the lying and blatant discourtesy from those who really should know better. It was clear we were the faster group, proven by the fact that we were finishing hole 4 on our 2nd round and saw them with several holes left. They take their time and I appreciate and encourage that, but let us through.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
^
Winner. I've simply gone around people on many occasions.
When I'm alone I will wait a hole or 2 to be sure they aren't letting me through, then find a good place to skip something. I have no problems doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedInTheDesert View Post
Fargo?

Ha! I grew up in Fargo. Easy solution: Throw them in the wood chipper. Where is this course by the way? I want to play it next time I visit home.
It's called North Iwen on this site, it's right off of 52nd ave s and University. Much longer and more challenging than the others around here. They had a pretty big section of land to work with near the river.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePinchico View Post
When you run a weekly it is frustrating trying to bring more people into the scene..
Yes it is, but passive-aggressive behavior by the coordinator directed toward non-regulars isn't exactly a growth strategy.