Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.4
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
This can be frustrating. Common courtesy and common sense are not really gray areas. There are very few occasions, that anyone asking to play through, should not be politely accomodated. Life is full of entitled people, disc golfers included. Speak your piece to the guy in friendliest terms, with hopes of education, and skip around them.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Bogey Member

This really doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Could they have broken into the two groups of five after you asked to play through? Where you running out of daylight? If you ever play competitive disc golf you're gonna need to get used to waiting.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 315
Kind of the problem with a lot of smaller city leagues is that the social aspect is probably valued more than the competitive aspect is. Everyone wants to play with their friends, and sometimes the league director is okay with it. Sometimes this leads to ill advised groups of 6 or more. If one really wants their league to grow, that practice needs to stop. If people want to engage in "bowling night" BS, they can do that before and after the round, and even throw more golf while they're at it. Smaller groups lead to faster rounds and will give them more time to do that.

That being said, I do think that casual players need to remember that disc golf courses just don't magically plant themselves in the ground. Its often the efforts of supporters and organizers, who often dedicate a lot of their own money and hundreds of man hours, that bring a new course into fruition. If such people didn't do their jobs, you likely wouldn't have a course for them to refuse to let you play through on.

I might also caution everyone, we've seen this "cry me a river" accusation thread on DGCR before, and sometimes the accused chime in with a different version of events.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 134
Let me preface this by saying that I have skipped around large groups a number of times when it became clear they were not letting me through.

That being said, I think the OP is correct in identifying what may be termed as "competitive elitism". It happens where I live as well. The issue stems from serious players assuming that anyone they do not recognize from leagues or tourneys is terrible,and will end up searching aimlessly for errant throws which will eventually hold them up. I do think there is a schism between copmpetitive and recreational players in our sport, and folks like the fellow described by the OP do not help grow the sport.

In my mind, as a good rule of thumb: if you're playing a casual round while fully employing a stool, and a smaller group (playing "ready golf") catches you on a tee pad, then you should always let them play through. They'll be out of your way soon enough...and logically, as mentioned earlier, you should be used to waiting anyway.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscWazzu View Post
This really doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Could they have broken into the two groups of five after you asked to play through? Where you running out of daylight? If you ever play competitive disc golf you're gonna need to get used to waiting.
Did you read the OP?

This wasn't 'competitive disc golf.' This was 8am on a Saturday morning when the course was basically empty. There is no reason a larger group that is on pace for a ~2.5 hour 18 hole round cannot let a smaller and faster group play through. Lying about being held up by a 'group of 10' that didn't even exist just makes it full-on douchbag behavior.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
Did you read the OP?

This wasn't 'competitive disc golf.' This was 8am on a Saturday morning when the course was basically empty.
Did you read the OP? Other than the word "practicing" (and in some respects even a league round can be considered practice when a tournament is coming up), there is nothing in his post saying anything about 8 am on a Saturday morning, just a combative "us vs. them" accusation against "league players".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan44 View Post
That being said, I think the OP is correct in identifying what may be termed as "competitive elitism". It happens where I live as well. The issue stems from serious players assuming that anyone they do not recognize from leagues or tourneys is terrible,and will end up searching aimlessly for errant throws which will eventually hold them up.
Just the same, I see a lot of rec players who seem to develop some sort of inferiority complex when they have a less than pleasant encounter with a few people associated with organized play and just broadbrush the whole group as "elitists", even though no actual elitism was intended.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Did you read the OP?

This wasn't 'competitive disc golf.' This was 8am on a Saturday morning when the course was basically empty. There is no reason a larger group that is on pace for a ~2.5 hour 18 hole round cannot let a smaller and faster group play through. Lying about being held up by a 'group of 10' that didn't even exist just makes it full-on douchbag behavior.
Sometimes people haven't yet realized that the world is full of DBs. Life is going to be miserable, on and off the DG course, if you let them get to you.

On the course, as in life, it's usually best to grow a thicker skin and just skip the hole.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Did you read the OP? Other than the word "practicing" (and in some respects even a league round can be considered practice when a tournament is coming up), there is nothing in his post saying anything about 8 am on a Saturday morning, just a combative "us vs. them" accusation against "league players".
Perhaps I should have prefaced.

I watched the exchange first-hand. It was elitist douchbaggery at its finest.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Resident Grouch

Quote:
I watched the exchange first-hand. It was elitist douchbaggery at its finest.
Maybe you guys should post your concerns on the Fargo Moorhead FB page. There's not a whole lot that we here at DGCR can do about it, but feel your pain. Of course, the people you're accusing would have their say, and I've never found that to be exactly something that people who make threads like this tend to go for.

Or you could just let it go. There are far more important things in life to get bent out of shape over than not being able to play through on a disc golf course for dubious reasons.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Maybe you guys should post your concerns on the Fargo Moorhead FB page. There's not a whole lot that we here at DGCR can do about it, but feel your pain. Of course, the people you're accusing would have their say, and I've never found that to be exactly something that people who make threads like this tend to go for.

Or you could just let it go. There are far more important things in life to get bent out of shape over than not being able to play through on a disc golf course for dubious reasons.
I think the point of thread was just to vent. I don't think the OP expects sweeping social change.