Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've been saying for years that a "Lard Basket" should be developed. It's just a basket-sized cylinder of lard where a Disc simply sticks to it.

Flies and hot weather might be a problem, though.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: LHBH
Yeah, I'm struggling to come up with any pros for making baskets out of rubber. I like the sound of the chains. My love for metal on metal is well documented. I also agree that splash outs happen for a reason, and no, it's not because GOD has a plan, it's simply physics, too much spin, too much speed, too much hyzer, these all contribute to the chance spit out. We should be challenging ourselves to get better, not to make the game easier.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 11
Agrees with blackcatsmith, Love the sound of those chains
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 58
Here's one: It would keep the crackheads from cutting them off at the ground and trying to recycle them for $20...
Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 31
I think metal chains will be removed from DG baskets about the same time the NBA takes the net off of basketball baskets. Meaning never.

That being said, a quiet basket for practicing in the backyard might be a decent idea.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisislorenb View Post
If a golf ball skips over a cup does it count? If a basketball goes halfway down but bobbles out does it count? If a football hots the upright does it count? If a hockey puck or soccor ball hits the post does it count? If u HIT the target but itdoesnt stick it doesn't count. Period. Spit-outs are part of pretty much any object to target sport. If you don't like it quit playing. Also, who wants to hear a disc hit rubber? Lame....
I used to shoot archery competitively and if you hit the target and bounced out it counted. After each end(round) all the holes in the target are marked with a pencil and if there was a bounce out and a hole without a mark is found it is counted.

I agree that spit outs on putts are part of the game and are due to a number of variables caused by the person putting and not the basket itself. I do however get annoyed when I smash chains from the tee or on a fairway drive and it spits out, that is the best possible throw I could have made but yet I still have to add another stroke. I am not saying I want an ace for hitting chains but if there was a basket that fixed this I'd be all for it.

All that said, a basket made of rubber is ridiculous and I don't think it would ever be realistic to put one on a course if there was one brought to market.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Rubber doesn't do well in sunlight.

As for the spit out analogy; only golf is applicable. If you hit the center of the other targets, it goes in or is in some way counted. Golf, you have to vastly misjudge your power to have it not go in.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 108
Fitzgerald Park near Lansing, MI used to have baskets with bike lock cables instead of chains. It was beyond horrible. (I have heard that they were Grand Woods' original baskets from the '80s?...)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatsmith View Post
Yeah, I'm struggling to come up with any pros for making baskets out of rubber. I like the sound of the chains. My love for metal on metal is well documented. I also agree that splash outs happen for a reason, and no, it's not because GOD has a plan, it's simply physics, too much spin, too much speed, too much hyzer, these all contribute to the chance spit out. We should be challenging ourselves to get better, not to make the game easier.
Yes. Also, if any of you have heard the sound of someone putting with a Flywood Log, it's SWEET! Also really loud.

For those of you who don't know what the Flywood Log is, it's a wooden putter.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 20
Anyone mention the an all rubber basket except for the chains, I could see that working.