Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: LHBH
Every time my friends and I play glow(and we play a lot), we always set it up one of these ways:

Either-
A. - One big light on top of the basket(I like to use lawn lights or something similar)
B. - Glow bracelets. I tie four of them on each basket, 2 on the top two corners of the basket, and two on the bottom. I tie them on so that if you are staring at the basket from the tee(or landing area), you will see the area of the basket.

Or-
C. No set up at all! just go out and have fun!(we do this a lot, we are lazy).

I totally agree with everybody above, you can see just fine in the dark, almost better. It is almost impossible to lose a disc while playing glow too(just go to the one thing glowing). But for your purposes(a league), you should definitely light up the baskets. Don't light up anything else though unless there is a cliff or ravine or something, and somebody could die.

Last edited by Disc Fiend; 08-27-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Choose a night when the moon is out. Give yourself a few minutes for your eyes to adjust and do your best to be discreet while charging your discs, and you'll be fine. I always seem to get put on a card with someone who refuses to play without a flashlight for walking, and I can never see squat. Don't forget to put an LED on your bag. There's nothing worse than having to wander around for fifteen minutes while you try to find it.
I think this is really course dependent. A heavily wooded course with steep hills on a dark night; you pretty much have to have headlamps. It's just a safety issue. Many of the courses I play are like that, which is why I hate glow discs. In my opinion, lighted discs will always be better. Sure, they mess with your night vision, but you'll always be able to see them WITHOUT needing pitch black to do so.

However, if I played somewhere with more open/flatter courses, I could definitely see the advantages of glow discs.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Putters! Putters! Putters!

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
I think this is really course dependent. A heavily wooded course with steep hills on a dark night; you pretty much have to have headlamps. It's just a safety issue. Many of the courses I play are like that, which is why I hate glow discs. In my opinion, lighted discs will always be better. Sure, they mess with your night vision, but you'll always be able to see them WITHOUT needing pitch black to do so.

However, if I played somewhere with more open/flatter courses, I could definitely see the advantages of glow discs.
I've only ever played on courses I know, and I have played on wooded and hilly courses. As long as your eyes adjust, and there's a little moonlight, I'd still prefer no lights. We don't have terrain here like you do in WV though.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 1
We glow at least twice a month all year.
Never glow during a full moon, makes finding discs a pain.
Stick 4 glow sticks in each basket, the bracelets. Run them through the chains.
Any hazardous areas such as hills, holes, etc get a glow stick or two. No point injuring people.
If anyone shines flashlights, beat them mercilessly. Its supposed to be dark.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Any hazardous areas such as hills, holes, etc get a glow stick or two. No point injuring people.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Yep, we went from bracelets to led based glow stick lookin things (they're as bright as the mil-spec glow sticks, and only one per basket is needed) because they're reusable. The only time a flashlight comes out is to pick through cactus, or check for snakes. Even then, red works better than white.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 9
We do glow rounds and a small glow tourney/ camp out get together every year in Morganton, NC at Catawba Meadows. A good option if your on a budget is go to Wal-Mart and use LED balloons. Put one on top of the basket, it gives a nice glow target but since the LED is in the balloon it doesn't hurt your night vision. Generally you want to encourage glow disks and stay away from led discs/pods or on the leds on the baskets as everyone gets around much easier if they aren't blinded. Like some others said maybe take a few glow braclets and put them either in the chains or on the pole itself to give players an idea of the "sweet spot", then if you have issues where finding the next hole is tricky you can make a glow arrow with some bracelets or sticks. You can get the balloons in 15 packs for 10 dollars, and you can get the bracelets/sticks and clear tape really cheap at a Dollar Tree. Also Wal-Mart has these little 3 light blacklight devices in the camping section for 8-10 dollars, I've been using one for 3 years now and I'm still on the same battery.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to New013
I don't know if it's been addressed but the more moon light you have the harder it is find your glow discs. It's actually better to have more darkness when playing glow as weird as that seems. It's also imperative that nobody has a regular flashlight or any kind of bright light that will kill your night vision. Once your eyes adjust to the dark you should be fine.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I don't know if it's been addressed but the more moon light you have the harder it is find your glow discs. It's actually better to have more darkness when playing glow as weird as that seems. It's also imperative that nobody has a regular flashlight or any kind of bright light that will kill your night vision. Once your eyes adjust to the dark you should be fine.
"What are all those black lines?"

Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 53
get some LEDs for discs and glow sticks for the baskets and to line fairways

set up 9 short holes

for every beer you finish during the round, you get a stroke off your score

go