Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
What big sponsor can this sport attract? Man there has to be someone out there that sees the value what is the pdga doing in that respect? How about monster red bull Nike coca cola or any of their companies. Vibram is a start but also they cannot do it themselves.
I hate to say it, but a brewery would make sense. It's already happened too.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
What big sponsor can this sport attract? Man there has to be someone out there that sees the value what is the pdga doing in that respect? How about monster red bull Nike coca cola or any of their companies. Vibram is a start but also they cannot do it themselves.
Monster does the Monster Energy Challenge in Utah, which I believe is an A-Tier. In the past, everyone from Wendy's to Budweiser have sponsored Disc Golf events. In the late 80s and early 90s there was a huge plethora of sponsors. I just assume they didn't get much return on their investment.

But I have seen minor things in tournaments. Like when I played the 303 Ams in Denver, we all got a certificate for a free 12-inch sub at Subway. It's a little thing, and likely the decision of a regional manager (or even lower) but it's a step in the right direction.

ClifBar sponsors Avery. Keen used to sponsor a bunch of players...don't know if they still do. MysteryRanch puts on a tournament in Montana, as well as sponsoring the Montana State Championships. Oakley sponsored the European Open. So there are sponsorships out there...we just have to prove ourselves as a commodity worth investing in, and I don't think we are remotely there yet.

Outdoor and fitness oriented brands/companies would be ideal. Nalgene, Sobe, Vitamin Water, North Face, REI, etc.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
He's one of those guys that has a history of rubbing people the wrong way. Which seems to be a growing list of pros. I'll listen to it and comment again later.
^ I like Jeremy... You cant make everyone happy. But personally I find him quite amusing!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I've heard that Steve Rico has anger issues, Will Schusterick is cocky, Nikko is obnoxious & McBeth is humble/nice. The only one I know is for sure true is that Will is cocky.
McBeth was def humble and nice, Feldbeard was very nice and was cracking jokes, Will was nice, avery was nice, GG was nice, Paul U was nice, Nate, Val both nice, Devan Owens, Cale Leviska, John McCray, all super nice and funny too. All from my personal first hand experience with them at worlds following them around and being involved with their rounds.(walked with buddy caddying for Avery and walked with final 9 group with PDGA friend.) Nikko and Ricky were the only ones who didn't seem as friendly as the rest.

Barry was super nice right after his winning round, in line at the store, just chatted for about 10 minutes. I had previously met him a year ago, and he was also nice then too. Philo was cool too, I bumped into him a few times throughout the week and every time he was funny and nice. My only interaction with big jerm was pretty funny grabbing a beer during players party.

I withhold comment on anyone I haven't personally met, and interacted with for at least some amount of time. I think it isn't very nice to call people out for things you've heard, if you have zero first hand experience with them. And for me, unless you spend at least 10 minutes with someone you really can't get a decent idea about them. EVERYONE can be an ******* if you only see one moment in time. Just like anyone can seem awesome and cool in only a single moment.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
...Nate, Val both nice...
Val actually seems like she might be the nicest person alive.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 44
really good interview. I didn't always agree with what he said, but it was a very honest interview, which i can respect. Gained some respect for him. He had some good ideas about sponsors, Jussi, Steve Dodge, etc. How to Film it....good interview.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
recently here the mad city open was sponsored by ale asylum.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I posted this in another thread, but it applies here, so I'm going to go ahead and quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
Your assertion that beer companies have deep pockets is valid if you think AB/InBev or Miller-Coors (yes, they are one and the same now) are going to pony up big bucks to a sport that has no consumer demand. In other words, why would they spend money to market to such a small audience? Trust me, they won't.

Instead, working with craft brewers who don't have cold hard cash to throw at the event, but appreciate the brand exposure they can create by providing the necessary libations for the event creates a mutually beneficial situation. I would suggest that a great way to help feed Steve's vision of significant enough purses to allow top pros to earn a decent living would be for top tier tourneys to partner with local craft brewers to sell beer at events to spectators. The proceeds could be split between the tournament and the brewery, allowing the brewery to cover product and staffing and still generating significant income for the tournament to defray costs and thus increase the purse.

I know it works for many other events my brewery partners with, and while I know our sponsorship of the Vibram was good for both of us, I think there is some untapped (no pun intended) potential for craft breweries and DG to capitalize on a significant shared demographic.

$0.02 from somebody who gets to see it from both sides.
There was a follow up someone posted to this in regards to tourneys that take place in public parks or other areas that restrict alcohol use, but that too is fairly easily remedied. We frequently get towns to issue special event beer and wine licenses for events in locations where alcohol is otherwise prohibited. Some concessions usually need to be made, but I see it as a viable revenue stream that also provides a "value added" feature for spectators.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
For just twenty five cents a day you can sponsor a pro-disc golfer.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Right now the audience for Professional Disc Golf is too small to attract big sponsorship to the event.