Disc Golf Center

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Is "getting discs up to speed" real?
Yes 140 99.29%
No 1 0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3NDER View Post
I'm going to guess who ever you were "arguing/conversating" with isn't going to be posting here?
I wasn't calling anybody out, but I doubt the people I was debating with will post in this thread. I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on this topic b/c recently this topic has come up a lot.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 85
Discs are designed to be thrown at certain speeds to achieve a desired effect. Can you putt with a driver? Of course, but that's not what its intended for.

And I can hit the heck out of a pitching wedge all day long, but can barely hit the little white ball with a 1 wood. (I do unfortunately try to hit it as hard as I can though every single time I attempt to play ball golf).
Old 08-29-2013, 05:37 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
There's value in understanding how different discs fly at different speeds. Sometimes for a trick shot or to get out of trouble I've found that throwing a driver on a 75' shot gives me the best chance at hitting that shot. To get the most out of any disc you need to be able to get it up to speed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that faster discs are totally useless if you can't get them up to speed.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 12
Makes sense that you need the proper number of revolutions on the disc to get it to work correctly. Hello physics experts
Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
There's value in understanding how different discs fly at different speeds. Sometimes for a trick shot or to get out of trouble I've found that throwing a driver on a 75' shot gives me the best chance at hitting that shot. To get the most out of any disc you need to be able to get it up to speed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that faster discs are totally useless if you can't get them up to speed.
Most definitely. Sometimes, especially on a tight technical course, you need something that will go hard left (RHBH), like an underpowered high speed driver.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Eagle Member

there is no way i can get my stiletto up to speed but it works wonders on certain shots when powered down
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 36
I've never understood why the Destroyer and Boss are so popular. 95% of disc golfers aren't even able to get them up to speed.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'd like to know what we mean by getting a disc up to speed. Is it the velocity of the disc from your hand along its path? Or is it how fast the disc is spinning? I've always assumed it was how fast the disc was spinning, which is one of the reasons snap it so important in a drive. Additionally, one of the reasons blizzard plastic is so popular was because it allowed players with less arm strength to snap it harder and impart more spin.

Have I been thinking about this all wrong?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I've never understood why the Destroyer and Boss are so popular. 95% of disc golfers aren't even able to get them up to speed.
Hopefully Climo saying in his in the bag video that he doesn't have the arm to really throw the more overstable destroyers will get that point out there a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
I'd like to know what we mean by getting a disc up to speed. Is it the velocity of the disc from your hand along its path? Or is it how fast the disc is spinning? I've always assumed it was how fast the disc was spinning, which is one of the reasons snap it so important in a drive. Additionally, one of the reasons blizzard plastic is so popular was because it allowed players with less arm strength to snap it harder and impart more spin.

Have I been thinking about this all wrong?
Snap isn't just spin, it's spin and speed, both of which are necessary for proper disc flight.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
I can only throw my Destroyer on a golf line, about 350-370.
Do I think I don't have the arm to throw it at its proper speed? Absolutely.
Do I care? Absolutely not.