Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
So if I may ask, what is you advice on the subject since everthing you have said is nothing concerning the posted question?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutz167 View Post
Keep loose as long as possible and really clamp down right before the hit to get the most efficient use of those muscles.
I agree completely with this statement
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 114
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine712 View Post
So if I may ask, what is you advice on the subject since everthing you have said is nothing concerning the posted question?

My advice (again) would be to listen to kutz167 who said,

"I honestly don't think about it much. I just grip it tight enough so that it won't come out until there is the proper force to rip it out of my hand. For this reason, on a lower power throw, I will have a looser grip to allow the disc to rip itself out sooner.

One thing to remember is that a tight muscle is a slow muscle. Keep loose as long as possible and really clamp down right before the hit to get the most efficient use of those muscles."

Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
Don't think! Feeeel.

Think about your grip when throwing practice shots in an open field, and get the feel of things down before you get on a tee pad. You really don't want to be thinking about much other than your line and the angle you want to release on when you're on the thee pad. Think about too much and you're screwed.

I really do think there's something to Zen an the art of disc golf...
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-30-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 AM
Par Member

Just like Bruce says, I dont think about it, I just go by feel.

Besides Bruce saying it a neuroscientist by the name of Candace B. Pert said it best, something along the lines of: "we know things by feelings or emotions way before we can intellectualize them or put them into language."

Once you learn a bit about neuroscience you know that "feel" is just what the brain communicates with. Its the emotions ie the neurotransmitters or the chemical compositions of emotions that communicate between the 100 million neurons in the brain, not the intellectual parts that is language and math of it all. Go out and do field work and you brain will wire itself for the right "feel" of it all. No one can tell you how YOU should grip the discs as they can't jump in your body and chuck discs for you. Only you can do it.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I really do think there's something to Zen an the art of disc golf...
What's funny about this comment is that I made a thread about discgolf being a form of moving meditation and at the same time neuroscience has been running full speed into the area that many people would consider the area of zen and meditation and such. It's a rather fascinating time right now if your into meditation and neuroscience at that same time.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
I am trying to figure out how firm should I grip my discs. I know that if I grip as hard as I can the disc would stay in my hand. Also, I find myself easing up (letting up) on my grip just before release.
What about you out there, any thoughts?
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 12
Also look at the different grips for different shots. I will use a fan grip for my midrange shots. Not always the power grip. What works for someone else may or may not work for you. Experiment. Have fun. The more you play the less you will have to think about grip pressure. You will hold it soft enough to not drop the disc but firm enough to keep the angle you want and have it rip out of your hand.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
So then it is not important to have a tight grip if you let up for lower power shots.
Why not keep a tight grip? By tight grip I mean tight grip at release?
If you grip tight on lower power shots, the disc will never have enough force to rip itself out of your hand. On a lower power shot the disc is accelerating less (F=ma), so once you reach extension, and the plane that your arm pulled through changes, a looser grip will allow the disc to release at that point. If you were holding it too tightly, you would grip-lock it hard right (RHBH).

Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 66
grip it to rip it!