Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
I don't think DG is a Great exercise compared to a real workout or jogging or whatever but it IS something. I played my first round July 1st and since then ONLY playing I have walked 19 miles I would not have otherwise walked. This does not count field work or any other disc related activities (such as shooting a tournament for Disc Golf Magazine or other camera/course activities).

As AndyJB says "Any physical activity is good."
Old 08-31-2013, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
For me. Disc golf is counter productive exercise. It takes just enough time and physical effort out if me that I don't feel like going to the gym or going for an actual run. It doesn't keep me thin or help me out in conditioning in any way.
It's probably a good after workout or post run activity. I've noticed that when all I do is disc golf I don't make the gym or get any beneficial exercise and I actually gain weight or become soft.
I also eat like a pig so my exercise needs are probably moreso than most

My opinion disc golf isn't really great exercise. Just take a look at the people who play the sport on your home course for proof of that lol

When all I was doing was working on a course, playing, and having a sandwich and ale afterward, I just plumper up. I've tried to make my exercise a priority, and golf after I work out. It's easy to play a round when you've had a good workout, but not so in the other direction.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 7
Even better than playing normally is running while you play. Use only one disc and just throw and run, throw and run. Always keep moving.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Disc golf does okay to keep me from getting fatty fatty 2x4 but I've gotten into a routine of playing basketball after I disc just to get a good sweat going and exert myself.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstradamus View Post
I would advise anyone trying to lose weight through disc golf to pop a caffeine pill or drink a cup of black coffee before your round (to boost your heart rate and fat burning ability).

Are you kidding? This is terrible advise. A heart attack does not count as fat burning ability.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 113
I have played Bradley Park a few times, and it is definitely not a physically challenging course. I think this whole thread is misleading because the OP chose a course that is going to make disc golf look like going for a stroll. I'd need to play Bradley like 3 or 4 times to feel like I got a workout. It would be nice to see the same kind of analysis after a round at Camden II or West Lake in the Quad Cities.

There are ways to make it more strenuous. Carry a manual weed whip and clear some weeds whenever you look for a disc off the fairway. Pick up some downed logs and stack them off to the side. In winter, shovel all 18 pads (or 36 if you've got two sets of pads) and then play your round. That'll get your heart rate up.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
Are you kidding? This is terrible advise. A heart attack does not count as fat burning ability.
Um....no????? You really think caffeine is going to give you a heart attack? Really? Like you think that getting your heart rate in the 130s instead of the 110s is bad for it? Have you ever read ANY research on the benefits of caffeine for athletic performance, or for the benefits of caffeine on fat metabolism in the body? I didn't tell them to snort a like of coke before their round.

Please keep the Saved-By-The-Bell-Jesse-Has-A-Big-Test-Episode scare tactics out of this thread, my advice was sound.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
I have played Bradley Park a few times, and it is definitely not a physically challenging course. I think this whole thread is misleading because the OP chose a course that is going to make disc golf look like going for a stroll. I'd need to play Bradley like 3 or 4 times to feel like I got a workout. It would be nice to see the same kind of analysis after a round at Camden II or West Lake in the Quad Cities.

There are ways to make it more strenuous. Carry a manual weed whip and clear some weeds whenever you look for a disc off the fairway. Pick up some downed logs and stack them off to the side. In winter, shovel all 18 pads (or 36 if you've got two sets of pads) and then play your round. That'll get your heart rate up.
Your response makes it seem like I was saying disc golf is "not" exercise. I was saying the opposite, I was saying it was beneficial exercise especially for the overweight, and I already noted that Bradley Park was an average course and that there are much more strenuous courses that would be even more beneficial.

The only thing I said disc golf was not was anaerobic activity (like weight lifting or high intensity cardio). I said it was not beneficial for my fitness, as it is merely a low intensity fat burner for someone at my current physical level. It is most definitely a notable calorie burner for anyone.

I have played Camden II and West Lake many times, and I know how tough they are. Pound for pound, it wouldn't get much more strenuous than Camden II. Despite West Lake being longer, Camden's hills are destructive and there have many many rounds where I felt so wiped that walking up the last hill to the parking lot was like walking the Green Mile.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 113
Quote:
Your response makes it seem like I was saying disc golf is "not" exercise. I was saying the opposite, I was saying it was beneficial exercise especially for the overweight, and I already noted that Bradley Park was an average course and that there are much more strenuous courses that would be even more beneficial.

The only thing I said disc golf was not was anaerobic activity (like weight lifting or high intensity cardio). I said it was not beneficial for my fitness, as it is merely a low intensity fat burner for someone at my current physical level. It is most definitely a notable calorie burner for anyone.

I have played Camden II and West Lake many times, and I know how tough they are. Pound for pound, it wouldn't get much more strenuous than Camden II. Despite West Lake being longer, Camden's hills are destructive and there have many many rounds where I felt so wiped that walking up the last hill to the parking lot was like walking the Green Mile.
I don't disagree with any of that. Didn't mean to insult your original post. Thanks for the effort putting it together! I just wish your nice analysis had been done on a tougher terrain, that's all. I'd hate anyone to have the impression that they can't get a good workout playing disc golf. Because like lots of things, you get out of it what you put into it. Run the hills twice or play speed golf or shovel the tees, or whatever, the options are there. Cheers!

Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 35
Quote:

Please keep the Saved-By-The-Bell-Jesse-Has-A-Big-Test-Episode scare tactics out of this thread, my advice was sound.
I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO...I'M SO...Zack I'm so scared...!