Old 09-08-2013, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
'Lil Help?

Hey guys. figured I'd post up here finally. i don't have a youtube account, sorry. lemme know if this works for you guys. on my walkup, i hit 240-300 with my putters. 280-315 with my mids. 330-360+ with my drivers (sometimes i accidentally hit 400 somehow) which are the patriot and a 162 1st run OLF. my standstill gets me 240 with my putters, 270 with my mids and 300-330 with my drivers, occasionally 360 on accident. i throw higher with my putters and mids but my drivers rarely go more than 10-12 feet off the ground. if they do, i screwed up. sorry folks, but i don't have a youtube account.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Ko...tml?sort=3&o=0

and

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Ko...tml?sort=3&o=0

uuuuh . . . i really have no idea how to change that orientation. sorry . . . i'll work on getting some more vids with more positions and the proper orientation.

Couple things I'm noticing (i know it's not the greatest video; i'll try to get a better rig set up here at some point and get them to show in the proper orientation.)

1) i don't get a good weight shift when i walk up; seems like i'm more spinning than directing my momentum in a linear fashion. i gotta get my weight over my legs somehow instead of held straight. i can tell this just by watching my video and i think part of it has to do with my arched back which also causes me to spin out a little bit after the throw instead of really pulling through and activating the pull with my core. you'll see what i mean. i have TRIED and TRIED to fix this but i think it boils down to posture issues that i have been trying to work on for a while. when i straighten my back, i lean forward and throw hyzer. any suggestions on helping with that? i'm going to try inhaling to brace my core against my spine more when i throw, similar to when i deadlift. i think it will help generate torque and build the base for the kinetic linkage between my bottom and top halves.

2) i just said everything i wanted to say in 1). so check out how i've changed my grip instead, as per your suggestions. i still have some questions, though.

my finger does not always touch the flight plate for the "pinch". it can't reach unless i put my index closer to my middle finger. since it's not creating a single point directly between the thumb and finger, is it just adding drag and not snap?

nose is down, but sometimes i know i let it pop up on release . . . threw my fuse 350 feet on accident, which was cool, but i like to do things on purpose . . .

thumb is in a better position than before, where i had the base mashed into the disc. now i feel forward pressure creating the thumb grip due to tension in my loaded/braced wrist.

annnnd another for good measure.

i really would like a breakdown, ideally with a snapshot of the video if you can. i know the orientation is wrong . . . i read through and lurk here all the time and i've seen all the tutorials and videos ya'll post. i'll watch them 100 more times, but i need someone to say "HERE is where you do X" and maybe cross reference it with a video? that'd be really cool, i appreciate all you guys do.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 09-08-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Your grip looks like a compensation of your weight being back sacrificing contact/power for extreme nose down orientation. I like to keep the top pinky joint straight so it's looser and the disc is higher in the hand and less into the bottom of the palm, and the base of the thumb pinches more against the pinky. It's hard to tell from the pics, but I think your biggest index knuckle is too low in the grip and need to get the wing of the disc more centered between the biggest index knuckle and the middle joint. The index/thumb should be the focus of the grip. Have you tried the 2 finger?

Your analysis is correct. You need to bend your knees and hips to trap your chest forward(top over the pressure cooker), and keep the leverage against the insides of the feet. You are leaning back past your rear foot in the backswing so your weight gets to the outside and then you are spinning out before your weight transfers to the front side. Your rear heel spins away from the target and around to the left, the heel should lead the toes toward the target and to the right.

You also look a bit tense in the backswing and bringing your arm back. It should be a one piece take away the starts from your hips/core and the arm is loose and heaved back just following the core and loading against the inside of the rear leg.

Very first and last part talks about the pressure cooker of the top and the middle talks about the leverage between the legs and letting go the arm/disc into the backswing.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

thanks. let's start with the things i know i can fix. the rest might require some muscle imbalance correction and stretching. i appreciate help like this because even with the "grip it to rip it" and all the ken climo vids/distance vids/grip vids, i don't get a closeup like this.

i have tried a two finger grip before as per your suggestions in other threads; it felt floppy and not sure. so i start my grip with two fingers and then add the rest in, typically rolling it down between my fingers like in the climo video.

basically what you're saying is the point of contact between my finger and disc rim needs to move so that is actually sitting on the area between my two knuckles, rather than opposite my top knuckle.

or do these look okay?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Middle finger tip joint should be flat and have some pressure into the base of the thumb. The index middle joint tip should be under the wing more and pointed to the ground and forward. The index and middle need to be separated as they have different functions and pressure in the grip. The index gets wrapped around the wing to control the pivot and the middle is more of pinch controlling the flight plate.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

got it. yeah, i suppose i could have just checked the grip it to rip it article again.

and you want me to try this just to get a feel for the type of role these two fingers should play in the throw?

vids tomorrow if i can; if not i'll just bump when i get them done and have a better system figured out.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Birdie Member

Id like to address what appears to be a Taylor Swift songbook on the keyboard
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpaljesus View Post
Id like to address what appears to be a Taylor Swift songbook on the keyboard
lmao. you caught me.

naaah, it's my little sister's.

or at least that's what i tell everybody.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

here is the only way two fingers gave me decent results.

- i feel good thumb pressure and better control. imitating the position in the above picture from the "grip it to rip it" gives me zero thumb pressure and my thumb base has to be flat on the disc - i was told not to do that in the other thread . . .

in case you can't tell, i'm really confused. trying to build from the bottom up. not trying to be difficult. lemme know if my two finger grip looks okay. i get a good pinch between my index and thumb this way.

anyway, after giving it a try, not sure what i'm supposed to be getting out of it. threw fairly crappily; i had to really slow down, my control suffered greatly. is there a particular reason you want me to try this grip? just asking before i continue on with it. i'm all for it if there's a purpose, but otherwise i'd like to use a different one. if it's demonstrating the pivot and i'm supposed to get a feel for it more easily with that grip, by all means, i'll keep working on it until my fingers fall off. i usually throw for an hour or two in the field a few days a week and throw at least a full 18 every day; just looking for a little method to that particular madness?

my goal is really to nail down every single part of my form and perfect it, so excuse the verbosity and having to rehash/double check so much stuff.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Why 2 finger? Because it wasn't until I learned how to throw with 2 fingers that I realized what was fundamentally wrong with every other grip I tried. Your grip doesn't look very comfortable or powerful. In a 2 finger the base of the thumb(not the palm) should pinch with the middle finger which gives power and control. Try re-orienting the disc more parallel to your forearm and leaving space between the index and middle fingers. That should give you more power in plane and control across the rim. Use your whole thumb, that's where the power comes from. You shouldn't be too worried about nose down orientation and disc drag yet. Get everything on plane from the disc/thumb/forearm/upperarm to the shoulders.

The Swithback drill of the Hammer drills(incomplete secret) on DGR is a good drill for getting a more natural grip as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM
* Ace Member *

alrighty; thanks! i'll check that out as well - i know i didn't go through with all of blake T's incomplete drills, so that'll be something new.