Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
SW22 - should the 4 finger power grip have a slight separation of the index and middle finger under the rim also or is it the 2 finger only that benefits from this? I've seen it in other peoples power grips but just wondering what you thought.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
I think grip depends a lot on hand size and throw style but most people will have the 2 finger grip pretty similar. I think fingers scrunched in together allow a faster pivot, but fingers spread out provide more leverage. I don't get much flight plate control with all finger scrunched together and tend to throw wobbly and spray a bit left/right. I like to spread the power out across the rim and flight plate more. My four finger also has the space between the index and middle although I don't really use a power grip anymore. Currently I'm using a fan grip more like MJ and Chris Max use.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 28
Thanks man for the input!

I use the Avery grip with my base of the thumb/palm easier up over the disc. I've noticed when I separate the index and middle I get way more control and stable flight.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
^that guy seems cool as hell.

My grip has changed so much in 5 years but the most fundamental part that really clicked for me was when I tried a two finger grip and felt the difference in how the disc ripped out as well as major increase in spin on the disc...That transformed into a 3-4 finger power grip with basically the 2 fingers still doing all the work but a little more control on the rim helping to stabilize variables like nose angle and throwing planes etc' Kinda crab-claw like with front 2 fingers and back 2 being together.

All I can say is find one that's comfy and work on it.. Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post

All I can say is find one that's comfy and work on it.. Good Luck!
thanks; yeah, that's why i was asking for people to check my grip, because truthfully even though i know it looks like i broke my finger, it's comfortable and feels firm. i also know that just because something feels right doesn't make it right, haha. so i figured i'd be absolutely sure. i'll give it another field session tonight!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
alrighty; thanks! i'll check that out as well - i know i didn't go through with all of blake T's incomplete drills, so that'll be something new.
after checking that thread again, i remember now why i didn't go through all of them. i throw LHFH and RHBH. -___- my LHBH two finger and four finger grip match up to what i'm seeing online but for some reason my right hand seems to function differently.

same dilemma i've had for a while; the grip and power feel like they're in the left side; the body mechanics and control are all in the right side.

anyway, i've got nothing to do while taking calls except screw around with my discs, so we should be able to work something out. thanks again for all the input, ya'll.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Man, I don't know what it is. Everything I try (given up on grip for now, by the way because too many people I ask say too many different things.) just sucks. I have a pretty good temper and I rarely let it get out of check but I absolutely raged tonight during a field session. I don't know what it is but I cannot seem to make anything I try to improve work. Probably posy a video either tomorrow or Sunday/ Monday but I truthfully expect to get nothing out of it because I know I'm just doing it wrong a different way.

I'm trying to shift my hips and close them but I can't prevent my rear foot from opening my hips. Always been a bit duck footed. When I throw from a stand still I can keep my feet in place but then I throw nothing but hyzers as I pull through my center of gravity and I'm not even leaning far forward at all. If I don't stack my weight over my glutes/quads then I arch my back and lose my pull through with my arm. I feel like I have no idea how to know what I'm doing or how to accomplish and it's becoming an exercise in extreme frustration.

The only thing that sorta helped was keeping my head down even after release, but I can't say in what way it helped. Its just the only thing I know I'm doing right.

/rage. Really wish we could just cut loose and swear a blue streak like I did on the field tonight, but eh.

Stay tuned for hilarious video of me throwing nothing but hyzers.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

nah, just for the night. i played like ass at doubles, figured i'd go to a field and figure some stuff out, relax and just throw. back to two finger grip and vids again tonight.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

alright, so i've been throwing every . . . single . . . day. since i started this thread, anyway. i didn't have any real results until today.

truth be told, i've given up on grip analysis for now. it was an exercise in frustration and it took away my ability to focus on other parts of my throw, which i feel are a bit more important.

so i was throwing really terribly today at a course, it started raining and i got pretty pissed. decided to go to the local football field. i've picked up a few higher speed drivers recently to see if i can handle them. the answer is probably no, but oh well.

i was throwing really poorly in the field too, so finally i just stopped and started looking at videos. the thing i really locked onto was the actual CADENCE of the feet. once i locked that sound into my head, i transferred it into my approach and changed my walkup completely. now it's a little softer with a little more bounce, more bend in the legs and, most importantly, MUCH better timing and plant with my right foot. neither foot is touching the ground at the same time, but i'm not actually jumping or hopping. i feel a lot more weight transfer whereas before i was simply walking up and spinning around.

anyway, it resulted in a much easier throw overall, with the same/better distance as before and much more consistent lines. my body as leaning forward more like it should as well.

my rival goes about 330-360 on a rope, the patriot will sneak out there to about the same or a little farther on a hyzerflip.

i recently picked up a domey as **** elite x nuke, a sword, a havoc, a d1 and a slaidi so i wanted to test those out too.

after some testing i decided that the havoc is what i'm looking for if i want a patriot type hyzerflip for longer tunnel shots if i really want to try and burn it down there. it goes 360-420, usually. the sword is about the same, with less turn and more fade, following a solid straight line on a mild flip.

but the elite x nuke . . . whooooah buddy.

that thing pretty much always goes 400 or more, with one absolute monster that hit 480'.

so i'm happy for today, but i will have to post some more vids of the new approach to the tee that i'm using. then we can start this whole process over again! hooray!

thanks for the help, all!