Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Soccer field if I want to throw a bunch of different discs. But like Sisyphus, most my practice comes at the local par three I manage to hit just about every day.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
I'm not in it for exercise, so the extra walking has always been something I just had to do ... I don't have to pick up my discs at all now. Just throw them, walk to the other side, and start throwing them back. They end up close enough together I don't have to group them together before I start throwing.
That's cool, I can see where the cage would maximize your practice in the allotted time. At my age though, stopping my throwing briefly to pick up discs is welcome relief for my arm. Something about an hour or so of non-stop field work is more taxing for me than even several rounds of disc golf.

Curtis
Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: LHBH
Highschool track, football/baseball field down the street. I've made up a whole slew of "tees"/targets to practice to & from. When schools out I'm there every day, sometimes twice. When schools in(like now) I usually make it over after work to unwind from the day's stresses. I'm also lucky enough to have a big enough yard to put up a basket for which to practice putting/short approaches.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 16
Send a message via Yahoo to kirvin2
When I have time to practice, I go to one of two nearby schools that have a wide open field on the property to practice drives and any shots that I can't do in my own yard. I have two practice baskets in my back yard which is 90' long so I have all kinds of shots I can practice at home too. One of our local courses has a very nice practice area with two baskets on a hillside.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 7
One of the local parks here have these big nets at the end of the soccer fields that keep the balls out of the parking lot. For a while I would practice throwing into the net, while working on my form, now I get 3/4 of the way in the soccer field to throw and I'm able to watch my disc flight and still use the net to catch my discs
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
I know a lot of people like football fields, or soccer fields, or pretty much anywhere else you can go have a nice wide-open space to chuck discs. Where do you go, and why do you go there?

I started out going to a football field mostly; the measurements already being there was nice. It's usually mowed (even in the off-season). Mine has concrete behind both end zones (a long jump runway and a high jump pad).

Recently, though, I discovered a net batting cage. It is AWESOME!!! 600+ throws in 2 hours; where else can you do that? It's a tunnel shot that doesn't wreck your discs if you miss. Decent footing everywhere ... just everything I ever wanted out of a practice spot. Other than being able to tell where your disc would have gone (how far, how much fade, etc.), but that doesn't matter that much, right?
Yeah I've been thinking it would be cool to get some kind of net to throw into.

Quote:
I guess I didn't mention that I have 2 baskets in my yard; about 200' between the 2, and about 10' total elevation change. My main practice basket has 4-10' of fall from the high side to low side of the 10m circle. I like being able to practice moderately uphill and downhill putts.
I wish I had the yard space for this!

Quote:
Sometimes I feel that being able to watch my discs fly distracts me, and actually harms my ability to concentrate on proper throwing mechanics. At the cage, I don't care, or even really know how far/hard I'm throwing; I do know if I'm throwing it the way I planned to, though
I agree, it's easily to tell when you've had a good throw and when youve had a bad throw. Where did you find the net, and how much was it?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
It's the batting cage in the park in town. I looked up prices, and nice ones are between $300-1000. I did a rough estimate on lumber etc. to build a frame, and it seemed like $1500 would get you a nice 12'x14'x35' if you built it yourself. I was really lucky to have a net cage in town; it's was chain link until a year or two ago. There aren't any others around, but I'd think in an urban area you'd be able to find one fairly easily.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyNitro View Post
One of the local parks here have these big nets at the end of the soccer fields that keep the balls out of the parking lot. For a while I would practice throwing into the net, while working on my form, now I get 3/4 of the way in the soccer field to throw and I'm able to watch my disc flight and still use the net to catch my discs
I think that the lock hs has this. I'm going to check it out.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
It's a challenge in NYC, but there is a large park right across the Hudson that is full of soccer games on the athletic fields, but has a large hilly area with the perfect amount of trees. Every course I play has a ton of elevation change, so it's great practice to work out on hills. I've worn tee pads all over the place there. I'd say the best practice "hole" I've found is to set yourself up about fifteen feet back from two trees that are fairly close together and make yourself throw between them at full power up a hill. That scenario used to totally psyche me out and I'd always throw it poorly. No longer. Oh, and your new discs beat in really quickly at first, haha.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Directly across the street from me there is a line of trees about 60 feet deep. And just beyond that 60 feet is a radio tower field and it is massive. You could fit an 18 hole ball golf course on this land. Anyway, I go out there with my basket and practice to my heart's content. It is pretty much zen no matter how you slice it. There are slight elevation changes so I can shoot downhill or uphill or I can just rip various discs and check out distance. Whatever I am working on really. It's pretty awesome.