Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Spotter Training Tips

Does anyone have any specific training point for spotters?
I plan to use volunteers at my event and need some training tips as to how they should do certain tasks:

marking discs (small flag?), wait for all to throw
Line of sight? (Halfway down fairway out of the way but where they can still see?)
Should the group signal that they will start the hole to alert the spotter?
If an errant shot is still really far away (90 degree shank off the tee) should they spot the 2nd shot too?

Anything else ?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Small flags work great for spotting. Make sure spotters know never to touch the disc, they just need to flag pretty close to it.

Since you typically need spotters on blind holes, the players on the tee won't necessarily know when the prior group has completed the hole. Rather than the group alerting the spotter they are about to throw, have the spotter waive the flags to indicate that the hole is clear to throw.

What I found useful when spotting on the Toboggan was to listen carefully when a disc went not too far off the fairway in a spot where the rough was thick - you can often hear where it hits so you know about how far down the fairway's length it made it.

If something went way off the fairway, I would drop a flag to mark where I should go into the brush to look for it after the rest of the card teed off. I didn't want to be in the brush looking for a disc while the others were teeing off. If some else's shot was bad, you never even saw it 'cause you weren't even watching their throw. Mark the ones you can get to easily, and then go back to that flag you dropped and look for that disc that's in deep.

Although it can't hurt, it's not too important to spot the 2nd shot. Chances are the other players in the group will be watching for unfortunate player's escape shot as it emerges from the schule... if it rolls and gets away, I can't imagine they won't watch where it goes.

If at all possible try to have plenty of water for the spotters.
If the course has a decent amount of poison ivy/oak, tell them to wear long pants/shirt.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-28-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Where they should position themselves can really vary from hole to hole, but as a rule of thumb, it should be about as far down the fairway as most players will throw. The less running around they have to do the sooner they are ready for the next shot. If the schule is particularly nasty or dense on some holes, you may want to use two spotters.

After the first few groups play, they'll know if they in a good or a bad position to spot from - move accordingly.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-28-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Thanks!!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDQcXKC7Tg&fs=1" width="644" height="390" wmode="transparent">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDQcXKC7Tg&fs=1" />Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDQcXKC7Tg">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDQcXKC7Tg
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
just the last part of the youtube link: ftDQcXKC7Tg

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Par Member

Chuck K posted this on the Pdga board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDQcXKC7Tg&sns=em

Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Small flags work great for spotting. Make sure spotters know never to touch the disc, they just need to flag pretty close to it.

Since you typically need spotters on blind holes, the players on the tee won't necessarily know when the prior group has completed the hole. Rather than the group alerting the spotter they are about to throw, have the spotter waive the flags to indicate that the hole is clear to throw.

What I found useful when spotting on the Toboggan was to listen carefully when a disc went not too far off the fairway in a spot where the rough was thick - you can often hear where it hits so you know about how far down the fairway's length it made it.

If something went way off the fairway, I would drop a flag to mark where I should go into the brush to look for it after the rest of the card teed off. I didn't want to be in the brush looking for a disc while the others were teeing off. If some else's shot was bad, you never even saw it 'cause you weren't even watching their throw. Mark the ones you can get to easily, and then go back to that flag you dropped and look for that disc that's in deep.

Although it can't hurt, it's not too important to spot the 2nd shot. Chances are the other players in the group will be watching for unfortunate player's escape shot as it emerges from the schule... if it rolls and gets away, I can't imagine they won't watch where it goes.

If at all possible try to have plenty of water for the spotters.
If the course has a decent amount of poison ivy/oak, tell them to wear long pants/shirt.
Great advice from a great spotter. Thanks for your help at USADGC