Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 PM

Courses Played: 16
How to be a confident putter

Recently I set out to become a better putter and have been putting in a lot of time and practice every day in an attempt to improve my skill and get a better 'feel' for what is comfortable for me. I feel like I am a very good putter but when I am playing rounds I am a timid putter and struggle with confidence on the green. The most frustrating part are the putts that I make over 80% of the time in practice coming up short during a round.

Any tips would be appreciated on dealing with anxiety while putting and also tips on how to be an overall more confident putter.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Birdie Member

Why are you being timid? You're a good putter. Run that sh!t! Even if you miss you're gonna make the comeback putt. Chin up, putt through the chains, follow through strong. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH

Won't lie, man. I dyed my putter...the 300 plastics doesn't take well though. Sounds dumb, but I like pulling out a disc, going "#$%& yeah, that's my disc" and then making my shot. I've been getting better at putting as well. Nail down the form and routine, practice randomly because it's easier to make consecutive shots.

I will also be dyeing my driving putter since they are both pa4s... one says run it and the other will say gun it. Silly, but it gets my mojo running when I need it.

Also what Jesus said.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 09-10-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpaljesus View Post
Why are you being timid? You're a good putter. Run that sh!t! Even if you miss you're gonna make the comeback putt. Chin up, putt through the chains, follow through strong. Good luck!
yup. we have all been there and probably will be again. some folks add a mantra along with the putting motion. the 'being comfortable' is usually in the putting routine - however elaborate or simple. being confidant is something more. know before the round you can make any 15' comeback. then splash the chains and let the chains do their job.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
You need to amp up the pressure in your putting practice. I did this by playing a game during putting practice. There is risk and reward for making and missing putts. I was tracking how I was doing and worked hard to get averages up. Play a game, track your results, more pressure makes those practice putts more like real putts in the round. Otherwise you are just throwing a disc around, which isn't really practice. I probably scream and yell more at myself during my putting practice than I do anywhere else, but that makes the real rounds feel a lot smaller and my confidence in putting has shot sky high.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
I recently started practicing with only two putters. I toss them each on the ground far enough apart that I mark each one separately and have to go through my whole "course putting" routine on every putt. I figure quality over quantity, and in the last month it has served me well. Everything in practice and on the course is now the same. Also, two deep breaths before I address. Working so far...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 13
stick to one mold and one plastic
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 25
I highly recommend reading the book "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent. It has been discussed previously on the boards, and changed my mental game for the better.

The concepts are almost completely transferable to DG even though it is written for Golf. There is also a book specifically on putting, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Amazon.com link
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post

Also what Jesus said.
you basically summed up the new testament

Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I highly recommend reading the book "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent. It has been discussed previously on the boards, and changed my mental game for the better.

The concepts are almost completely transferable to DG even though it is written for Golf. There is also a book specifically on putting, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Amazon.com link
Another excellent book is the inner game of golf it has a lot about the mental parts of the game and how to be a confident player.